Champion's League Final **Will include spoilers**

Caporegime
Hmmm well the morning after, im still shell shocked at how Arsenal were cheated out of the victory but such is life.
Personally he shouldnt have sent Lehmann off, yes let the goal stand and yellow card him. Anyone who says different is talking out of their backsides, there was no need imho to send him off but thats what you get, when a ref secretly wears a Barca shirt and i think Henry was spot on with his judgement of him. Terrible ref who really shouldnt have been there in the first place, where the hell is Collina when you need him:p...damn shame he had to retire.

As for Henry i really do hope he sticks around for another year, i dont think he will go to Barca not after his comments about them. I would be surprised if he did though but as i said im hoping he sticks around for a bit and gets us back to the euro final to take some revenge...hopefully against Barca:p.

Ronaldinho imho didnt have that great a game, he made some pretty fancy plays etc but like Henry didnt really stamp his authority as he usually does but meh i still love watching him play.

Aluminia needs to go i think, terrible goalkeeper although he did save an Eto shot that probably was a goal if im being honest. Although the 2 goals he let in....should have really saved them especially the 2nd one. That was a shocker of a goal, the first one was definitely off side but i guess its a moot point now.

For us to defend a 1-0 lead till the last 30 mins of the game was brilliant, thought we did well and really well. But being one man down..it was only a matter of time before Barca equalised which they duly did. If anything i completely utterly disagree with people saying it was a fair game...how the hell could it be when your down one man and always on defence. It was plain to see that Arsenal werent going to get that equaliser with 10 men. Perhaps their tactics were wrong but then i cant honestly see what they could have done. So thanks ref for screwing up a perfectly good game with your utterly stupid and ridiculous sending off of Lehmann.

All in all im extremely proud of Arsenal and what they achieved, to go all the way to the final was an achievement in itself. Not many other Prem teams could say that about themselves can they ;). Especially after the domestic season they have had, i think the ARsenal players can hold their heads high and feel no shame about losing to perhaps a slightly better side. Campbell did awesomely well...am happy for him...finally put those ghosts to rest. Cole did a superb job coming back after so many months of being out of action, kept Guily at bay for most of the game and i hope he sticks around for Arsenal although there are rumours that he might go to Chelsea, whcih i think would be a terrible decision for his career imho. As for Henry, i dont think he would be silly enough to go to Barca but we shall see, i think in the off season Wenger needs to off load a few players and get some new blood in, hopefully some big names.

But well done to Arsenal for achieving what a lot of Prem teams can only dream about;).

Man of Honour
Spawn said:
Aluminia needs to go i think, terrible goalkeeper although he did save an Eto shot that probably was a goal if im being honest. Although the 2 goals he let in....should have really saved them especially the 2nd one. That was a shocker of a goal, the first one was definitely off side but i guess its a moot point now.

Give over, you can't blame him for the 2nd goal, it was hit at him so hard he had no chance, no keeper can close their legs that fast.

Caporegime
Davey_Pitch said:
I don't know why people think Henrey choked. Yes, he missed that great chance in the 2nd half, but he hardly saw the ball otherwise and when he did he always looked dangerous (including skipping past Puyol like he wasn't even there). He was always going to struggle when he lost his support and had to play up front on his own.

Exactly, he had absolutely no support after Lehmann was sent off. Although Hleb should have passed to him on the right when he made that run but sadly he didnt. Not only that you could see the fatigue and tiredness on his face, he catn be expected to carry the team all the time.
Personally i thought he had a good game, its a shame that a couple of his shots didnt hit the back of the net or else it would have been a totally different game.

LOL@ the mastercard adverts, couldnt be more wrong about Henry tbh.

Associate
I am surprised that no one of you has mentioned Henrik Larsson. You seem like a knowledgable crowd of punters, yet you fail to mention Henke?
Imo he made the difference as Rijkaard decided to play him central in attack as Henrik prefers. He made all the difference setting up both Barca goals with amazing vision and masterfull passing. His runs teared up Arsenal.

I have only praise for Larsson. He is unique. A masterclass player and a true gentleman. Pure class. He is 35, is still peaking and the only reason he hasn't played from start more is due to injuries and insane competition in his squad.
To see him turn down another 18 month contract from Barcelona to return home, so his children can grow up and learn how it is to live in sweden is great to see! Good judgement, unlike some players :)

As for the game: I feel really sad for Arsenal. In the end, looking at the entire season, Barca have been strong. I do agree they have had some luck with refere's desicions. For UEFA to name Hauge as ref for the final after what he did in the Barca - Chelsea game is a scandal and very dubious.
Yet again he has proved far too unreliable. I actually think he is an AWFUL referee who makes mistakes with major influence on the games. Not just once, but twice. Both times with english teams facing Barca.
He missed several dangerous tackles. The booking on Henry was retarded. The decision to send of Lehman was also retarded but correct accoring to the rules. However, it is praxis when the attacking team keep possesion and have the chance to score, you let them score and then book the keeper for the challenge. Poor judgement from Hauge.

If Hauge is awarded WC matches I will despise the governing body of football even more. Remember there's alof of corruption, not only in Italy but also internationally.

HANG HAGUE.

Soldato
Killajaz said:
If Hauge is awarded WC matches I will despise the governing body of football even more. Remember there's alof of corruption, not only in Italy but also internationally.

HANG HAGUE.

Larsson certainly made the difference, but when ever I've seen him in Barca games he's been ****.

Thats the thing, he's 'good' enough to be the match official at the biggest game in club football in Europe, but not good enough to be at the WC! Stoopid isn't it!

Soldato
We'll I dont know how to explain how I felt last night - one of the biggest if not the biggest night of my Arsenal life. I was so disapointed with the outcome but was really proud of the team, they've do amazingly well to get that far and on another night 11 on 11 I think we would have seen the trophy in England again.

+44

Don
Davey_Pitch said:
If the ref had allowed play to go on and the goal stood, he couldn't have sent off Lehmann as he'd denied them nothing (considering they scored). IMO it should have been a goal and a yellow card.
If an outfield player had fouled someone (worth a yellow) and the ref plays the advantage, he then goes back once the ball has gone out of play and books the player that commited the foul. So by the letter of the law if the ref allowed the advantage and let Barca's goal stand, he should still then send Lehmann off. I know it seems harsh but thats the rules.

Soldato
BaZ87 said:
If an outfield player had fouled someone (worth a yellow) and the ref plays the advantage, he then goes back once the ball has gone out of play and books the player that commited the foul. So by the letter of the law if the ref allowed the advantage and let Barca's goal stand, he should still then send Lehmann off. I know it seems harsh but thats the rules.

No, it would have been a professional foul for denying a goal scoring chance, but if they scored, he hardly denied it ;)

Soldato
Davey_Pitch said:
He didn't disallow a perfectly good goal, he'd already stopped play. As HangTime correctly pointed out earlier, Lehmann would have been red carded for bringing down E'to and denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. If the ref had allowed play to go on and the goal stood, he couldn't have sent off Lehmann as he'd denied them nothing (considering they scored). IMO it should have been a goal and a yellow card.
Quoted for absolute A1 class truth.

To start with I thought the ref was quite good, particulaly as some of the Barca players were falling over some good Arsenal tackles. I think it all started to go down hill for him, the ref, after the sending off. Barca put in some heavy challenges on Henry, especially Puyol who tried to elbow him in the ribs at one point.

As for Henry choking in the game I don't think so. He was well up for it in the first 20 minutes before the sending off and he had two great chances saved. It's obvious, but I think Arsenal would have won with a full team especially with the way they started.

I think Henry will stay now, but he might have been staying all along. I don't think he'd go back to Italy because of his time at Juventus. I don't think he'd go to spain because of the racism and the slating he gave Barca would imply he wouldn't go there. The only place I could see him go if he did want to leave would be France.

Don
Gooner14 said:
No, it would have been a professional foul for denying a goal scoring chance, but if they scored, he hardly denied it ;)
I know it seems strange, but like i said; if an outfield player trips someone to stop them from breaking away and the ref plays the advantage, that side still breaks away but the player commiting the foul gets booked

Soldato
If Lehmann hadn't taken Eto'o out, he'd have had a clear goalscoring opportunity, so Lehmann denied him one, so he should have been sent off.

The referee should have allowed the play to go on to see if a second goalscoring opportunity would arise, which it did. So the goal should have stood. He then goes back, and shows Jens the red card.

Caporegime
Davey_Pitch said:
He didn't disallow a perfectly good goal, he'd already stopped play. As HangTime correctly pointed out earlier, Lehmann would have been red carded for bringing down E'to and denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. If the ref had allowed play to go on and the goal stood, he couldn't have sent off Lehmann as he'd denied them nothing (considering they scored). IMO it should have been a goal and a yellow card.

You get late tackles where play is allowed to continue, the player is then booked (or worse) when play stops. If I was the referee I would have allowed the goal and still given the Red Card.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
You get late tackles where play is allowed to continue, the player is then booked (or worse) when play stops. If I was the referee I would have allowed the goal and still given the Red Card.

I can't say I ever remember seeing play carrying on, and then a red given after the move? And I've certainly never seen a keeper given a red card, and the goal allowed, I mean imagine this:

Player A takes a wild swipe at player B it's a red card offence, but play carrys on, the ball falls to player C, who shots, but it's saved, the ball stays in play and goes up the other end and it breaks to player A who scores. What happens now? How can the ref send the player off, after all he should have gone well before that.

Permabanned
andi said:
The referee should have allowed the play to go on to see if a second goalscoring opportunity would arise, which it did. So the goal should have stood. He then goes back, and shows Jens the red card.

That how i saw it too,it wasn't as if there was any play after the foul before the ball was in the back of the net,just rolled through to the other attacker,had to be a goal.
Almost the exact opposite of the Chelsea/Pool semi last year,but it was the linesman at fault then,not the ref, ie if the linesman hadn't given the goal,the ref would have sent off the keeper and given us a pen -which would have been right - and stopped all the whining :)

Permabanned
Gooner14 said:
Player A takes a wild swipe at player B it's a red card offence, but play carrys on, the ball falls to player C, who shots, but it's saved, the ball stays in play and goes up the other end and it breaks to player A who scores. What happens now? How can the ref send the player off, after all he should have gone well before that.

In that example the saved shot is the end of the advantage,the ref can then stop play and send off the player - doesn't have to wait for a break in play.

I think the ref might have got away with allowing the goal and giving lemon a yellow,or if the foul had been in the box he could have sent off lemon and given a pen,but last night it seemed Barca got punished for an Arsenal foul

Caporegime
Gooner14 said:

I don't disagree with you, this is my problem with this rule. But hypothetically, what if Guily hit the post, the ball came back to Lehmann and he scored for Arsenal? Should he not have instantly been sent off? (which he was)

And I have seen a player sent off before, although it was for a 2nd yellow card.

Don
Just seen on SSN that the Ref has admitted that he should have waited a few seconds and allowed the goal and booked Lehmann. Seems a bit strange to book him, it surely either a red card or nothing at all :confused:

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
I don't disagree with you, this is my problem with this rule. But hypothetically, what if Guily hit the post, the ball came back to Lehmann and he scored for Arsenal? Should he not have instantly been sent off? (which he was)

I think if Jooolie missed, then what actually happen, should then of happened a red card and a free kick. The trouble is how long do you play advantage for? What happened if this had happened in the Centre cirle (not with the keeper) when do you bring back play?

It was a yellow and a goal for me, it certainly would have helped our cause imo.

Back
Top Bottom