Channel 4 vs Sky for 2019

Caporegime
Dang hadn't realized it was such a long deal. 2024 feels eons away. It's a shame that new owners don't invalidate this kind of tie.
They've looked very closely at the contract and Sky's lawyers did their job superbly I've read. There's no scope to invalidate the contract without a huge penalty fee apparently.

I'm sure that a highlights deal will be signed but Sky won't let it be announced until close to season start so as to get the 18 month contracts started.

Soldato
I watched FP1 & 2 on Sky yesterday and I have mixed feelings.

The commentating felt very flat and lacking any personality. It often felt like they were padding and struggling to keep momentum. There was a palpable sigh of relief when Ericsson hit the wall and they could have 15 million replays of it to take up some time.

Coverage was fair and I liked the fact there were interviews with various team principles, including deputy principle Claire Williams. I also liked the screen in screen showing car footage whenever there was an interview.

It is very different to channel 4. I still think I prefer c4 but to be fair to Sky it is still very early days.

I cant say that Sky's offering is necessarily bad, jut not what I am used to. I Will see how the rest of the season pans out.

Soldato
The commentary gets padded during free practice because it’s boring :D, seriously there isn’t much that ever goes on in reality. Occasionally someone properly bins it but that’s about it.

It’s the same reason they were still showing replays of the lap one crash 3/4 through the race last week.

That being said it if you don’t like sky’s coverage now I can’t really see it getting much better, they have been doing it for 7 years now their programming should be well developed. Not really early days anymore, and they poached a load of staff from the BBC when they got the rights (which in turn came from ITV’s coverage, Kravitz, Brundle etc.).

Once the free to air coverage goes they will need to start milking every penny from their relatively small audience to recoup the costs. I would expect a big ramp up on advertising slots and sponsorships through the program.

I imagine it will go something like ‘We’re now going to the Sky Pad with Paul De Resta, bought to you by DHL’ :D

Soldato
They've looked very closely at the contract and Sky's lawyers did their job superbly I've read. There's no scope to invalidate the contract without a huge penalty fee apparently.

I'm sure that a highlights deal will be signed but Sky won't let it be announced until close to season start so as to get the 18 month contracts started.

Can Sky legally remove the F1 channel from those of us still on the legacy HD package?

Soldato
Can Sky legally remove the F1 channel from those of us still on the legacy HD package?

Probably not but they could just end the package for new customers and jack up the price over time...

When people go to re-contract they move them onto the new packages which don't include F1 unless you take sports.

Associate
Probably not but they could just end the package for new customers and jack up the price over time...

When people go to re-contract they move them onto the new packages which don't include F1 unless you take sports.

We're still on the legacy HD pack aswell. F1 is pretty much the only reason we keep sky now, so if they ever remove it then we'll just cancel.

The new customer deals are rubbish aswell when to comes to F1. At the moment its £18 p/m extra for the F1 channel alone but extra again to have it in HD. Its actually cheaper just to get full sports. It should have been much less if you take one sport.

Soldato
Hi all - can any sky f1 users tell me when the on demand service updates? Yesterday evening we were able to watch fp1 and 2 on demand by tea time (they aired in the morning).

Yet today fp3 and quali is not yet available on demand as of 7pm. I didnt set it to record because i figured it would be on demand come tea time.

Pretty annoyed :(

Caporegime
We're still on the legacy HD pack aswell. F1 is pretty much the only reason we keep sky now, so if they ever remove it then we'll just cancel.

The new customer deals are rubbish aswell when to comes to F1. At the moment its £18 p/m extra for the F1 channel alone but extra again to have it in HD. Its actually cheaper just to get full sports. It should have been much less if you take one sport.

That's a lot Of Money just for f1 you're paying

Watched f1 on skygo yesterday and C4 today. 100pc prefer C4. Much more fun and interesting. That space station stuff was terrible lol

Associate
Will Channel 4 provide highlight shows or is it a case that zero F1 (including highlights) wont be available on Terrestrial/Freeview TV next year?

Nascar show full HD re-runs on YouTube the day after and to be honest I would be happy with this.

Purchasing a Sky license for F1 only? If the licence included all sorts of motor sport, Le Mans, WTCC etc I could justify (to myself).

Otherwise, it would need to show historical races, documentaries, and not regurgitate between races to make it worthwhile (IMO).

I meant to mention - the latter will never happen!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Will Channel 4 provide highlight shows or is it a case that zero F1 (including highlights) wont be available on Terrestrial/Freeview TV next year?

Nascar show full HD re-runs on YouTube the day after and to be honest I would be happy with this.

Purchasing a Sky license for F1 only? If the licence included all sorts of motor sport, Le Mans, WTCC etc I could justify (to myself).

Otherwise, it would need to show historical races, documentaries, and not regurgitate between races to make it worthwhile (IMO).

I meant to mention - the latter will never happen!
If there is to be a highlights deal it won't be announced until much closer to the start of the new season so Sky can get any new sign ups on 18 month contracts. I'm sure Liberty will be pushing hard for a deal though.

Associate
If there is to be a highlights deal it won't be announced until much closer to the start of the new season so Sky can get any new sign ups on 18 month contracts. I'm sure Liberty will be pushing hard for a deal though.

Hoping this also, going to be a pain to source the F1 not via Sky. Even not a full race re-run but something similar to what Channel 4 do on the official F1 Youtube channel would suffice.

Dont know what other sources might be willing to take the highlights package if it became available? Would depend on who Sky are willing to deal with I suppose. Amazon are dipping their toes in sport so don't know if they might want to take it but ends up been subscription for non-amazon subscribers for just a highlights package.

Ideally needs to be somewhere that can easily be streamed to a television.

Caporegime
Still ain't overly cheap, it'll be the guts of £3K between now and 2025 when the contract expires, assuming deals persists and contract pricing doesn't rise, neither of which is likely.
Deal will persist, penalty break fees are very large apparently. I'm sure there will be a highlights deal but no announcement until a few weeks before the start of the season.

Back
Top Bottom