charles and camilla attacked

Man of Honour
One thing you should have learnt before university is basic reading comprehension. I didn't say you needed a degree to challenge authority did I? I said a degree encourages that behaviour, that's all :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with the worst recession in living memory then? Try telling employers that degrees aren't as useful as they were - the only reason we have as many students studying degrees as we do now is because employers have been, and still are telling government that's what the UK economy needs to compete globally.

We don't need degrees, we need good quality education from 5 onwards. Currently we have declining educational standards, poor performance, and dumbed down degrees from a great many institutions given to barely literate cretins.

We do need a better educated workforce, but nothing about the existing setup actually provides it.

Capodecina
Soldato
Probably needs a Basic English Degree

derppp.jpg

Soldato
That 21k person would be paying it back off at £9 per month straight out of the wage. Hardly crippling!

Watch this http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/wmz3q/ (when it becomes available) and pay attention to the bit where the chap explains the carer situation.

So idiots use the system wrongly, and that's the fault of the system, not the idiot?

Because it isn't a conventional debt, and isn't treated like one. The new system is effectively a capped graduate tax and presents a similar liability.

Its the fault of the system and the idiots. Hopefully this new reform will filter out drug dealers that cant get EMA.

Still guys, its a DEBT hanging over you for X amount of years. Regardless if your pay £9 per month, teachers are under paid as it is.

And what about funding for PGCE reduced by 80%.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
Still guys, its a DEBT hanging over you for X amount of years. Regardless if your pay £9 per month, teachers are under paid as it is.

How would you rather it went? That uni was free? That we paid for you and you get off scot-free? Students always leave uni in debt. You don't even HAVE to go to uni.

Man of Honour

It isn't though. It doesn't count for credit referencing purposes, the rate of repayment is determined by salary not by debt size, and the term is fixed with a write-off if not paid in full.

Is income tax a debt?

Given that a significant number of those who complete a PGCE don't go into teaching at all, and even more drop out within the first 2 years of teaching, and that the idea is to move teacher training from academic (which it isn't) to vocational (which it should be) by moving training into more of a practical role, I really don't see the issue.

Associate
I pay tax in UK and I do not want any of it to be used for these thugs to while away their time at university, many doing nothing (why are they not in classes, preparing for exams etc instead of out on the streets of the capital causing mayhem?).

Those who are guilty of causing injury to others, those who defile the monuments to common decency in our country should be BANNED from attending university.

I want my taxes to go towards helping those who are bereaved and those who are injured as a result of service to Queen and Country in our Armed Forces...defending the very freedoms which allow these thugs to continue with their behaviour.

What a contrast between our young people suffering in Afghanistan at the moment and fighting for freedom and those on the streets of London yesterday.

I hope that young woman seen swinging from a Union Flag at the Cenotaph is charged and jailed and denied any further education in this country.

Enough is enough.

Soldato
How would you rather it went? That uni was free? That we paid for you and you get off scot-free? Students always leave uni in debt. You don't even HAVE to go to uni.

Its the fault of labour, pushing forward targets of every student going to uni, that's why we are in this mess, to window dress high youth unemployment figures. That is why we have so many unemployed unskilled inexperienced graduates with non-relevant degrees.

Bribing kids to go to college to study to get £30 a week.

I would have it as follows;

University is free, you fund your own bloody way how you eat,sleep, buy books.

University would get endowments/funding from private sources.(NOT GOVERNMENT)

Therefore Universities can be selective on who they choose. Choosing the best brightest students that will enhance and innovate.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17967994 said:
The fees are going to be UP TO £9k a year - very few Uni's will charge this, most will be around £4-6k. I suspect only places like Oxbridge will go for the full £9k.

this tbh... the value an oxbridge degree will add to your expected earnings in general is way way more than the 21k in fees you'll not have to pay back until you've graduated.

I would say though that there should be a system where some of the fees/loans can be retrospectively canceled/written off for graduates who choose to stay in academia/go into teaching. Otherwise we'll just add to a situation where even more top physics/maths grads go off to investment banks, hedge funds etc...

Teaching and academia will become an even less attractive career prospect with high levels of debt, a system whereby your debt can be steadily written off in addition to your repayments for each year you teach would be useful in encouraging people. On a very simple level its only fair - if you're going to be directly contributing to the education of many others on behalf of the state then the costs of your own eduction should be written off by the state.

Soldato
It isn't though. It doesn't count for credit referencing purposes, the rate of repayment is determined by salary not by debt size, and the term is fixed with a write-off if not paid in full.

Is income tax a debt?

Its not an issue if it tarnishes your credit.

As your wages increase your going to be in a worse position.

Permabanned
Its the fault of labour, pushing forward targets of every student going to uni, that's why we are in this mess, to window dress high youth unemployment figures. That is why we have so many unemployed unskilled inexperienced graduates with non-relevant degrees.

Bribing kids to go to college to study to get £30 a week.

I would have it as follows;

University is free, you fund your own bloody way how you eat,sleep, buy books.

University would get endowments/funding from private sources.(NOT GOVERNMENT)

Therefore Universities can be selective on who they choose. Choosing the best brightest students that will enhance and innovate.

So because of the selective nature that Private Business will fund scholarships we will have a highly selective system which will mean very limited places and in most cases indentured to the company that funded the place you attended to begin with.

Way to go.

Soldato
So because of the selective nature that Private Business will fund scholarships we will have a highly selective system which will mean very limited places and in most cases indentured to the company that funded the place you attended to begin with.

Way to go.

That is what I want.

Caporegime
So you want the Taxpayer of which the average taxpayer earns just £24k a year to also fund your lifestyle as well as your degree. Seems a little unfair.

Non-grads in general aren't funding anyone else, if you divided up the cost of government spending per person then someone on an average salary doesn't pay enough in taxes to cover their share.

You need to make a a fair bit above the national average before you're making a net contribution to society - the majority of the country are not net contributors. Of the people who do make a net contribution, they're mostly all graduates.

Not that I don't agree with the fees per say (though I'd rather they simply scrapped the various new universities offering BS courses) but it does irritate me when you hear non-grads doing low paid work moaning about students being tax dodgers or how they're funding them - low earners don't fund anything for anyone else, they don't even pay enough taxes to cover their own share of day to day running of this country.

Soldato
When you hear non-grads doing low paid work moaning about students being tax dodgers or how they're funding them - low earners don't fund anything for anyone else, they don't even pay enough taxes to cover their own share of day to day running of this country.

So true, probably earning 12k a year and moaning about paying for students.

LMAO

Permabanned
Non-grads in general aren't funding anyone else, if you divided up the cost of government spending per person then someone on an average salary doesn't pay enough in taxes to cover their share.

You need to make a a fair bit above the national average before you're making a net contribution to society - the majority of the country are not net contributors. Of the people who do make a net contribution, they're mostly all graduates.

Not that I don't agree with the fees per say (though I'd rather they simply scrapped the various new universities offering BS courses) but it does irritate me when you hear non-grads doing low paid work moaning about students being tax dodgers or how they're funding them - low earners don't fund anything for anyone else, they don't even pay enough taxes to cover their own share of day to day running of this country.

I doubt that very much, the vast majority of people are not Graduates. A nice citation showing that graduates as a group contribute more in income taxes than the rest of the population would be welcome... You are basically saying that 19% of the population (those with degrees) are funding the entirety of the UK and that 81% are sponging off of them.

Every builder, plumber, tradesman, Lorry Driver, and so on who earn enough to be making a significant net contribution to the exchequer would be pretty peeved to hear that they are not in the world according to Dowie.;)

I am not a graduate, and I expect my tax contribution last year alone was more than the average wage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom