charles and camilla attacked

So have I in the last two years so I know the system and thats *******.
They will have to pay their tuition fees yearly, I had too, and they will have to.
Mine mind you were 3k a term. Theirs could be up too 9k. I did not qualify for a tuition fee loan as my parents were deemed to earn to much even though they could not support me. 3k is easy to find with a part time job.
I was granted the smallest standard maintenance loan for rent and that was it.
There is no way in hell I could have attended fulltime uni and earnt 9k a year.

You have assumed everyone gets tuition fees loans, so unless its changed in the last 2 years that everyone gets one then fine, but I never did.

You need to actually look at the new proposals, they are not an extension of the current ones but an entirely new system

Key point you need to know:

THERE ARE NO UPFRONT FEES, NONE.

Oh dear, OCUK Torries getting genuine peaceful protesting Students mixed up with rent-a-mob anarchists.

Don't brandish real students with these idiots.

Thank you. Good night.

wasnt it a student that throw a fire extinguisher off a building roof at police officers....
Or was that a figment of my imagination.

[TW]Fox;17967686 said:
Absolute rubbish. This is the problem - people like you, and those protestors, have not even bothered to find out what the intentions are.

You will pay NOT A PENNY to obtain your education at the point of delivery. NOTHING. NIL. NADA, ZILCH.

You will go on paying NOT A PENNY until after you graduate *and* obtain a job paying at least £21,000 a year.

I have recently stopped being a student. I have a student loan. I am now paying it off through my salary and I don't have a problem with it at all. It was my education, I should pay for it.

The plans do not stop ANYONE from going to Uni. At all.

The current student loan for a standard three year degree are around £10k + whatever living costs are incurred. Please do come back when your debts are three times that, you have zero chance of ever paying back the loan and lecture us all that this is all for our own good. :rolleyes:

So have I in the last two years so I know the system and thats *******.

You are wrong.

They will have to pay their tuition fees yearly, I had too, and they will have to.
Mine mind you were 3k a term. Theirs could be up too 9k. I did not qualify for a tuition fee loan as my parents were deemed to earn to much even though they could not support me. 3k is easy to find with a part time job.

The tuition fees loan is not means teasted. Everyone gets it - you do not have to pay your tuition fees up front - the SLC pays. It used to be means tested back in the days of £1125 fee's but once they changed the rules and introduced top-up fees, the means testing element was removed. I got a tuition fees loan in my final year and I never get anywhere close to qualifying for means tested stuff.

Everyone who attends Uni will get a tuition fees loan if they wish to cover the cost of the fees. Which they wont pay back until after they graduate, and only after they earn over £21k.

[quote[
I was granted the smallest standard maintenance loan for rent and that was it.[/quote]

Me too.

There is no way in hell I could have attended fulltime uni and earnt 9k a year.

And neither would you have to earn £9k.

You have assumed everyone gets tuition fees loans,

I've assumed nothing, I know for a fact. You, on the other hand, have formed an opinion based on nothing but misguided assumption. Like everyone else whinging and protesting I'd imagine.

so unless its changed in the last 2 years that everyone gets one then fine, but I never did.

It's changed. It's always been the case for everyone who paid more than the lower fee's which were increased a few years back.

it was good tv entertainment tbh :p

gotta look at the positives though, at least the police have managed not to kill anyone at a protest recently

it wasn't good entertainment at all, i find this quite scarey tbh. it's the back end of 2010 and idiots like this need to realise that this country does not do this. i'm all for fighting for your rights but there are ways of doing this, this is not how the uk should behave. these 'student's are supposed to be the future of this nation.

i feel sympathetic to the police in this, there's far more important things they need to prioritise on. this is a terrorists dream scenario!

You know what?

It is always a minority. Race problems - minority. Violent strikes - minority. Student riots - minority. I'm sorry, I don't buy it. Everyone was involved and everyone was guilty. Barabbas and all that.

There were pre-arranged, approved and policed routes. The MAJORITY chose to ignore them. So bang goes your peaceful students.

What a load of tosh, you really have no idea what an imbecile you sound like.

You Sir are one step away from being more right wing than Nick Griffin.

By carrying out these pathetic actions the "students" have lost any support they had from the general population.

I suppose this is the problem after 12 years of labour, everyone expects to be given everything for free. You want an education after 18, well pay for it or find an employer who will support you.

The current student loan for a standard three year degree are around £10k + whatever living costs are incurred. Please do come back when your debts are three times that, you have zero chance of ever paying back the loan and lecture us all that this is all for our own good. :rolleyes:

Oh its you, great.

It's not a conventional loan. The baliffs dont come knocking on your door if you can't pay. You don't need to scrape your bank account to find this months loan money. It changes with your earnings.

It doesnt matter if you never pay it back - it gets written off eventually anyway. Stop treating it like a loan from HSBC. The payments out of your salary will be easily funded by the extra money you'll earn from having the degree. And if you don't earn much money despite your degree, you'll never pay it back.

I thought you'd love it, as all the wasters wont pay a penny and we all know how you hate successful people?

In some ways its BETTER than the old system. When I first started Uni I *did* have to pay the fees up front at the beginning of the year and I didnt get a fees loan, and I was entitled to only the bare minimum student loan. This is no longer the case.

Last edited:
I suppose this is the problem after 12 years of labour, everyone expects to be given everything for free. You want an education after 18, well pay for it or find an employer who will support you.

my brother and sister went to university under labour (wasn't really my bag :p) and it certainly wasn't free for them and my parents!

The sponging argument sort of unravels when you take into account the tourism revenues they bring in though. But then again, I'm probably responding to a troll post aren't I?

why should we pay for a bunch of birth right idiots! they should pay their own way, the tourism thing is lame people will still come to london with out the stupid **** royal family

[TW]Fox, did you stay at home whilst you studied?

I did, yes, for financial reasons mainly (Though it was handy the course I wanted was offered locally). The way the system used to be was such that because it was so means tested I was entitled to very little *and* had to pay my fees out of my maintenance loan. So I stayed at home instead.

Today, it would be very different - there would be more money available to me if I wanted to move away to Uni as I wouldnt have needed to pay my fees up front.

Effectively the maths were as follows - some of my friends qualified for the full rate loan *and* a £1k grant *and* the LEA paid the fees for them. So, the available cash per year for them was a £4k loan, £1k grant = £5k. Whereas I was entitled to the £3k loan if I went away, no grant, and out of that I had to find £1125 to pay the fees, meaning I'd be left with £1875. Over 3 grand worse off.

So you can see why I made the decision I did :p

why should we pay for a bunch of birth right idiots! they should pay their own way, the tourism thing is lame people will still come to london with out the stupid **** royal family

because they bring in more money than you ever will via tourism, they are the best diplomats we have ever had and finally they are most likely the biggest single contributors to charity in the uk....

But ignoring all of that :rolleyes::rolleyes:

my brother and sister went to university under labour (wasn't really my bag :p) and it certainly wasn't free for them and my parents!

No but it was massively subsidised.:)

I also went to University and had to pay, my reward was to get a graduate job at the end that pays OK for my age. I now have to pay the cost of my university back, but that was my choice.

[TW]Fox;17967829 said:
Oh its you, great.

It's not a conventional loan. The baliffs dont come knocking on your door if you can't pay. You don't need to scrape your bank account to find this months loan money. It changes with your earnings.

It doesnt matter if you never pay it back - it gets written off eventually anyway. Stop treating it like a loan from HSBC. The payments out of your salary will be easily funded by the extra money you'll earn from having the degree. And if you don't earn much money despite your degree, you'll never pay it back.

Crikey you really are naive if you believe that the student loans company are going to loan people money that they know will never be paid back.

[TW]Fox;17967829 said:
I thought you'd love it, as all the wasters wont pay a penny and we all know how you hate successful people?

That's a straw man if ever there was one, but don't let that stop you building on your edgy and confrontational forum image.

Crikey you really are naive if you believe that the student loans company are going to loan people money that they know will never be paid back.

Why don't you spend less time in this thread and more time reading about the system?

If Person A attends Uni for entry in 2012, he will be loaned £6kish for his fees (Not all Uni's are £9k) and circa £4k for maintenance every year. Thats £30k over a 3 year course.

If he then spends the next 40 years working for £20k a year, he will not pay the SLC a penny. His loan will NEVER be repaid.

Thats how it works. It's not naivity - its how the system works.

No but it was massively subsidised.:)

with parents in the highest earning bracket, it wasn't 'massively' subsidised but i take your point. and this is another point, am i right in thinking that this only really effects people in a similar position? if so, they need to count their blessings and shut up.

Back
Top Bottom