charles and camilla attacked

Soldato
how can you be so sick of something that has no effect whatsoever on you ? seems a bit strange

I'm voicing my opinion which is pretty much the opinion of 99% of the population of the UK. In my day, if you didn't agree with something at the age of your average student, you either found a compromise or came to an amicable agreement. Nowadays it appears it is acceptable to gather in large numbers and cause serious public disorder. Excellent. That'll work.

people like you with no clue are as bad as the rioters who have no clue

"People like me"??. Errm, ok. :rolleyes:

/unsubscribes from thread

Last edited:
Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;17967857 said:
I did, yes, for financial reasons mainly (Though it was handy the course I wanted was offered locally). The way the system used to be was such that because it was so means tested I was entitled to very little *and* had to pay my fees out of my maintenance loan. So I stayed at home instead.

Today, it would be very different - there would be more money available to me if I wanted to move away to Uni as I wouldnt have needed to pay my fees up front.

AFAIK, the system up until now including the present 'top up fees', the loan barely covered or simply didn't cover accomadation if you wanted to live anywhere remotely reasonable.

I know of a fair few students who had to take out loans in addition to student loans to manage. The vast majority of people I know have had some financial assistance from parents.

Associate
Crikey you really are naive if you believe that the student loans company are going to loan people money that they know will never be paid back.

yes cos thats not been a major issue of in modern times...:rolleyes:
Companies make more cash off people that cant pay back loans than thoses that can, its called intrest...

Soldato
I don't mind my hard earned tax paying for free education right unto 18.

I don't want my taxes to go on EMA or to pay for University education. That's not a right.

I suppose we could lay of a few ten thousand or so nurses, doctors, teachers, fire fighters so that Jonny Wasted can doss around studying "media"

Soldato
I'm sick to the back teeth of these idiots. Sick of them. Every single one of them are a complete waste of good O2 that the rest of us could be breathing.

GO AND GET A BLOODY JOB. You sponging, trouble making stains.
I couldn't agree more, Charles and Camilla really should pull there finger out.

The students are just fighting their own corner and good on them. The fees are totally disproportionate to other cuts and no one else is speaking for them or listening to what they have to say. The government singled them out as an easy target although underestimated there ability to make up for what they lack in numbers with youthful exuberance.

Soldato
I know of a fair few students who had to take out loans in addition to student loans to manage. The vast majority of people I know have had some financial assistance from parents.

They could always get a part time job. The amount of time I hear people say they are too busy to get a part time job whilst studying, people, you are doing 12 hours a week. :D

Man of Honour
AFAIK, the system up until now including the present 'top up fees', the loan barely covered or simply didn't cover accomadation if you wanted to live anywhere remotely reasonable.

This was the case for me - it didn't unless your parents earnt under a certain amount in which case you got a bigger loan (Never did understand that, its a loan, it gets paid back in theory so why means test it) and a grant and an exemption from fee's meaning you had enough money to live, drink, and not work.

But that's completely seperate from the fees issue - if anything the fees issue has made this easier because students not entitled to any of the means tested element now no longer have to spend part of the maintenance loan on the fees.

Effectively the system was set up with the expectation that you would simply sponge off your parents for 3-4 years, expecting them to pay you thousands of quid a year in cash so you could have fun at Uni. Nice.

Associate
..............Please do come back when your debts are three times that, you have zero chance of ever paying back the loan and lecture us all that this is all for our own good. :rolleyes:

As an Ex Student with an £18K loan that I have to pay back, does it bother me. No not at all. I get a reduced take home pay amount that I never even see, just like NI and Tax. Once i've payed it off I will be able to get that money, much like a nice little pay rise just for waiting my time until its repaid.

The debt does not effect me in any way. It does stop me getting a mortgage, doesn't top me getting a loan, and I have 0% incentive to pay it back early so as far as I'm concerned the system works fine. My parents were not able to afford to pay my fee's and I wont be able to afford my future kids fee's. It will just have to be something that future English students have to accept.

Soldato
Apparently if you protest and smash stuff up that means that your democratic voice should count for more than everyone elses. Oh wait that's not democracy...I'm sure that irony is lost on the protesters when they are causing injury to Police officers who are protecting the democratic system that has worked in this country for hundreds of years.

Soldato
OP
as much as i hate to see this, but when a government decides to cut edcuation then you know something is fundamentally wrong :(

i think it needed to happen. i would say that a low percentage of students go to university purely because they don't know what they want to do or don't want to get a job etc it's easy to get into a university these days, a lot easier than it was a few decades ago. i like living in a country where everyone has the chance to gain a degree but people will take advantage of this and were doing so and will never re-pay their loans, something needed to be done, i think this was a step in the right direction.

Man of Honour
They could always get a part time job. The amount of time I hear people say they are too busy to get a part time job whilst studying, people, you are doing 12 hours a week. :D
A lot of people do have part time jobs, but yes most certainly could manage it.

[TW]Fox;17967929 said:
This was the case for me - it didn't unless your parents earnt under a certain amount in which case you got a bigger loan (Never did understand that, its a loan, it gets paid back in theory so why means test it) and a grant and an exemption from fee's meaning you had enough money to live, drink, and not work.

But that's completely seperate from the fees issue - if anything the fees issue has made this easier because students not entitled to any of the means tested element now no longer have to spend part of the maintenance loan on the fees.

Effectively the system was set up with the expectation that you would simply sponge off your parents for 3-4 years, expecting them to pay you thousands of quid a year in cash so you could have fun at Uni. Nice.
I'm not entirely sure how this is going to work in practice, but if fees are indeed going to be £9k a year, and I know accomodation in Bristol costs ~£4000... then plus food, bills and other essentials at £1000 minimum... you are looking at a £14,000 loan a year just to get by, that's not being able to buy anything or, god forbid, enjoy yourself in other ways.

So is the basic loan really going to come in at £14k a year?!

Man of Honour
The fees are going to be UP TO £9k a year - very few Uni's will charge this, most will be around £4-6k. I suspect only places like Oxbridge will go for the full £9k.

Man of Honour
Well done to the student rioters, providing public support for future police aggression.

Top work people, you do the union movement proud.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;17967994 said:
The fees are going to be UP TO £9k a year - very few Uni's will charge this, most will be around £4-6k. I suspect only places like Oxbridge will go for the full £9k.

Perhaps not all, but I know UoB are certainly planning on it. Being a graduate from there and knowing that for what I did I would be forking out 14k a year for it with absolutely no money in my pocket is just horrifying.

I'm just trying to point out that a loan of £9000 a year will not get you anywhere in such a place - it's 'mummy and daddy' or another loan.... unless the basic student loan is going to be in the region of £15k a year, and even then that gets you a pretty crappy quality of life.

Back
Top Bottom