• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Associate
Yep and this is their flagship product.

DLLXC8U.jpg
i mean the card is a lot better than all previous fe models thermally just the dumbo that decided to make a card 15 foot wide then expect even more clearance for a cable made in china to **** standards for $1 that if you bend it can break and **** your **** up

Soldato
i mean the card is a lot better than all previous fe models thermally just the dumbo that decided to make a card 15 foot wide then expect even more clearance for a cable made in china to **** standards for $1 that if you bend it can break and **** your **** up

It's very poor all-round here, it's either huge incompetence or they knew and didn't care.

Associate
I have kept the sidepanel off my case and let the squid trail out since Day 1 to avoid my PC getting fried. Is it advisable to power limit the card to 50% now that we know the adapter is bad? Or the situation isn't that bad yet?

Last edited:
Associate

40 seconds in, Brandon Bell from nvidia. :D
yeah i meant
todd-howard-it-just-works.gif

Associate
I have kept the sidepanel off my case and let the squid trail out since Day 1 to avoid my PC getting fried. Is it advisable to power limit the card to 50% now that we know the adapter is bad? Or the situation isn't that bad yet?

The adapters work fine if they do not have an aggressive curve to them. If you have the side off and are keeping the cable straightish then I would say keep it like that until there are better options available for you.

An easy test you can do is to play a game and just touch the cable. If it is burning hot be concerned , if it is just very warm it will be ok

Gerard has posted the Jayz2cents video I suggest you watch that.

Last edited:
Soldato
The adapters work fine if they do not have an aggressive curve to them. If you have the side off and are keeping the cable straightish then I would say keep it like that until there are better options available for you.

An easy test you can do is to play a game and just touch the cable. If it is burning hot be concerned , if it is just very warm it will be ok

Gerard has posted the Jayz2cents video I suggest you watch

This absolutely screams "Premium product" to me...

:D

Man of Honour
The sort of people who will buy the 4090 are enthusiasts.

There are the same people who will mod their PCs builds including bending cables.

How did Nvidia miss the obvious above and not test for it.

How did third party companies like CableMod get it right where Nvidia failed?

What was Nvidia's research budget last year?

Associate
The sort of people who will buy the 4090 are enthusiasts.

There are the same people who will mod their PCs builds including bending cables.

How did Nvidia miss the obvious above and not test for it.

How did third party companies like CableMod get it right where Nvidia failed?

What was Nvidia's research budget last year?
The 12VHPWR was clearly not ready for widespread rollout. There are so many concerns with it. That 36mm of clearance indicates that only the biggest cases on the market can accomodate the smallest 4090 without bending it. Strix is out of question. Both Intel and AMD didn't use the connector because they knew about its issues and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

It's only nVidia which pushed ahead with this thing which baffles me considering how badly incompatible the cable is in so many respects. Instead of that 36mm warning, how could they possibly not have considered a 90 degree adapter which would have resolved all these issues with this connector. It took Cablemod just a few days to come up with the idea. To make matters worse, AIBs like Zotac and MSI tried to come up with a half baked solution by recessing the connector into the shroud which didn't work anyway but ended up making the card incompatible with Cablemod's 90 degree adapter as it's obstructed by the shroud. They are now developing a 180 degree adapter as a possible workaround but not entirely sure if that would work.

This card has been nothing but a headache from Day 1. I didnt even enjoy it becuase of these issues. Keeping the side panel off also causes dust to accumulate in the case. If I didn't care about RT performance, I would have returned it and gone AMD.

I still think these were designed for open mining rigs. It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
40 seconds in, Brandon Bell from nvidia. :D
yea and he since did a video where he tried to get a cable to melt and it wouldn't so who cares....

The people who think it's an issue are clearly jealous of anyone who owns a 4090.

This comment is now out of Stock just like those 4090s you people are trying to buy :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom