• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Last edited:
doesnt change anything the same people still wouldn't plug it in properly

We're boiling down to core issues with PC. A lot of what's inside PCs is built for design philosophies from decades ago; we're in a new era and we need new form factors and designs - we need new cases, we need completely different motherboards, we need ways of cabling and power management, add ons and upgrades

Last edited:
I was blind nvidia fanboy and troll for suggesting failure rate was tiny 16cards in how many hundreds of thousands sold?

they are all going to burn they told me, couldn't possibly be people not plugging them in I must be a conspiracy theorist.

IDK how these people don't get banned from these threads when they post meme crap... yet I get banned from an NVidia thread for replying to some AMD fanboy saying atleast nvidia had a launch al AMD brought was paper plates.....
Based on all the memes on Reddit and the hate for the 4090 pricing (which doesn't make sense as it's a halo product so nvidia can charge whatever it wants), at the same time the 7900XTX still doesn't match it in RT and raster being a halo product itself so some people want the 4090 to fail and now the GN video is going to make them mad as nvidia is essentially off the hook..

If the same thing had happened to AMD, we would have threads on how they remainbthr good guys but since it's nvidia, crickets on reddit.

Last edited:
Nvidia are unlikely to measure failure rate as a percentage. It's more likely they'd use a more standard supply chain quality metric such as complaints per million units (CPMU).

Throwing around "0.01%" is also a bit disingenuous as that percentage is calculated from the number of failed adapters that GN were able to ascertain from AIBs which they're measuring against the 250,000 nvidia claim to have sold. Without all the information, it's literally a guestimate using two variables that aren't directly comparable. The way that "it's only 0.01%" has become fact is mental when you think about it.

Nvidia won't come out with actual numbers, but they are certainly in a position to ask their AIBs for the volumes and complaints made so they CAN calculate the true scale of the issue.

Nvidia are unlikely to measure failure rate as a percentage. It's more likely they'd use a more standard supply chain quality metric such as complaints per million units (CPMU).

Throwing around "0.01%" is also a bit disingenuous as that percentage is calculated from the number of failed adapters that GN were able to ascertain from AIBs which they're measuring against the 250,000 nvidia claim to have sold. Without all the information, it's literally a guestimate using two variables that aren't directly comparable. The way that "it's only 0.01%" has become fact is mental when you think about it.

Nvidia won't come out with actual numbers, but they are certainly in a position to ask their AIBs for the volumes and complaints made so they CAN calculate the true scale of the issue.

Does amd use the same metrics?

Looks like cable mod have taken a leaf from Nvidia on pricing,
They were always ridiculous, and they are straight shipped from China. crap that probably cost less than 2$ per cable.
I bet you can find the exact same cable on ali for 5$ shipped & made by the same company cablemod are using for drop shipping

Last edited:
Isn't that for the complete kit not just a 12Vhpwr cable on it's own.

Either way - it's flippin' cables. Can buy all the tools yourself for that money, and it's a 3rd party so bet any issues you'll get no redress - probably as peahead says, like all electronics - 99% all electronics are produced in China, even high end stuff.

If you need to buy dedicated cables then you really need to be buying from the PSU manufacturer for warranty cover. Bet PSU wont cover any warranty with 3rd party cables.

Was just shocked at the price - Used to get whole kits for <50 euros.

Then to use these kits - it says " you need 40-45mm clearance between the case and gfx card".

So caveat-ed right there, that these cables are no different to anything shipped in the box with your gfx card.

Well I have that (45mm) in my case (Be quiet 900) and I have ensured that the weight of the 12vhpwr x4 PCIE and all 4 PSU cables that go into the supplied cable, has it's weight supported so it isnt the connector on the cards PCB taking that weight.

It's a poor design; whilst it maybe rated for 600W, the 12vhpwr is a dainty thing and is placed in a silly place on the card anyway, not just aesthetically.

For 4080's and 4090's you are basically having to buy an ATX 3.0 PSU - (Which are in short supply) and a girt big case if you don't have one.

It would have been better if Nvidia had put a 90 degree connector on the PCB, already facing downwards or upwards from the PCB.

The above caveat from cable mod points to the issue where folk are probabaly stuffing these connectors in cases putting too much pressure on the connection at the 12vhpwr on the PCB - repeated heating cycles on these cables if under pressure from case windows/sides will have the cable exert more pressure as it cools again. These cards chuck out a lot of heat with the heat-sink exhasting directly onto any cables, softening them - releasing pressure, and on cooling - reintroducing pressure on that connector as the cable memory returns.

If Nvidia want to keep this 12vhpwr and be compatible with the excellent cooling possible by the large gfx card size - then the PCB female 12vhpwr connection on the board needs to be at 90 degrees to the PCB. FOlk at least wont need new wider cases and removes pressures from people jamming them into cases that really are too small. - ISnt going to do the PCI-E MOBO slot any favours either as some cards are now already shipped with supports (Zotac) as these cards are 2kgs+.

Like all PC building - we ensure and are careful around the seating of PSU's, NvMe's, RAM, CPU's & coolers, 24 pin mobo supplies etc, they can all prodiuce instability or issues. When it comes to power - you have the added issue of shorting resulting in fire. Maybe we have been spoilt in the past from PSU connections being sturdy - but I was shocked at how small the 12vhpwr actually is on arrival, pictures on the net hadn't done it justice.

The plastics involved are very thin and nothing resembling anything from PSU connections we are accustomed to with confidence in strength. Certainly not on gfx cards for these prices, and certainly not requiring people to buy 3rd party cables at eye watering prices. reimburse for those that have bought cables? Nvidia or PSU manufacturers wont warrnty 3rd party cables.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom