• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Either way - it's flippin' cables. Can buy all the tools yourself for that money, and it's a 3rd party so bet any issues you'll get no redress - probably as peahead says, like all electronics - 99% all electronics are produced in China, even high end stuff.

If you need to buy dedicated cables then you really need to be buying from the PSU manufacturer for warranty cover. Bet PSU wont cover any warranty with 3rd party cables.

Was just shocked at the price - Used to get whole kits for <50 euros.
cablemod always coists a bomb, same as ek blocks, you are paying more for the brand

I think it's quite clear that this general connector design is just plain poor, it really shouldn't be an issue.
We shouldn't have this thread and deep analysis into the connector issues at all. It's just a power connector, it should be easy to connect and hard to damage.
it is easy, less than 0.1% of people are having an issue with it, meaning for every 10,000 sold there are less than 10 people managing to **** it up, probably closer to less than 5

Those % figures are fake news to me. Not only does it comes off as damage control but I also question the source of that information. I could understand using those type of %'s to determine mild errata issues but not for catastrophic issues. IMO that percentage should be 0% and nothing higher is acceptable.

The tech outlet continues to suggest that the issues are caused by either user error where users are not inserting the cables within the connector properly or foreign debris that might enter the connector after plugging the cable in or out or while manufacturing.
But one with critical thinking should be able to deduce that if there is debris inside the female portion of the connector "no one" will be able to properly insert the adapter to the connector. Claiming the distinction that you still are responsible for not inserting the adapter correct do to debris is a bit daft to me.

What are the causes:

• Foreign object debris in the cable
  • Caused by improper manufacturing and scraping of the bump combined with high current and or poor connection
  • Creating poor points of contact
  • Extremely improper insertion by the user
  • Improper insertion in combination with a taut wire on one or more pins
  • Causing one point of poor contact that heats up

That makes sense to me so far in the analysis. And I got this out of the video as well. But IMO, the major cause of why the adapter is not being inserted correctly appears to be do to foreign debris inside the female portion of the connector. Which explain those gaps we've seen. Think about it for a minute. Those same people had 0% issues inserting PCIe connectors for years/decades. But have an issue with this new adapter within days? That's the smoking gun for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've had loads of occasions where those god awful split 4+4 or 6+2 connectors wouldn't go in properly, they are a complete ball ache compared with this new one.

At least this issue is getting plenty of press, so hopefully anyone getting one here on out should be aware they need to click it in properly. Just hope all the click bait sites update with the situation instead of peddling solder or X supplier over the actual problem.
I completely agree, People tend to forget how crap that 6+2 PCIE connector really is.

Cablemod cable came today :cool:
However, the RAM I ordered from OcUK got stolen from within my parcel (it arrived torn open) :mad:
OcUK have agreed to replace the RAM which should be here tomorrow though :)
Just need my EK waterblock now :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom