• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Associate
They may already know but won't say anything yet.

Loads of people over on Cablemods Reddit all blaming Nvidia when in fact they're totally barking up the wrong tree.

PCI SIG designed and passed the part but it's down to them to tell Nvidia and other 3rd parties what are the safest terminals required, Maybe they did but some ( Cough Cablemod ) chose to use cheaper one's.

Cablemod are releasing an official statement later today apparently so that should be interesting no doubt.

I've looked at the terminals from the back of the connector on my Seasonic cable and they're like a bronze/gold colour whereas others just look silver to me but Seasonic do state on their website about them being high current terminals and 90v plastic.
While PCI SIG did put there name to this, I think putting all the blame on PCI SIG and totally absolving Nvidia here isn't correct.

Some company must have asked for this cable in the first place as I doubt that PCI SIG make changes like this just for fun, and only one GPU vendor used these cables and missed any issue before release.

In theory the design is actually good with sensor wires there being a new thing for PSU AFAIK, I think the problem is that some decided to make the plug / socket far too small. And don't forget that Nvidia's statements are all trying deflect this on "user error" which is typical for a company which never stood by their solder defects way back in 2007/2008.

Last edited:
Associate
While PCI SIG did put there name to this, I think putting all the blame on PCI SIG and totally absolving Nvidia here isn't correct.

Some company must have asked for this cable in the first place as I doubt that PCI SIG make changes like this just for fun, and only one GPU vendor used these cables and missed any issue before release.

In theory the design is actually good with sensor wires there being a new thing for PSU AFAIK, I think the problem is that some decided to make the plug / socket far too small. And don't forget that Nvidia's statements are all trying deflect this on "user error" which is typical for a company which never stood by their solder defects way back in 2007/2008.
Yeah I mean I get why a lot are blaming Nvidia it's natural just like if there was a recall on a certain model of car that uses a certain Bosch part for example, It's their first port of call to blame the manufacturer.

However as simple as it should be even if Nvidia did ask PCI SIG that they wanted a new more compact connector capable of safely delivering 600w then if PCI SIG pass it as ok and fine for 600w then in reality that's all Nvidia can go off imo, Yes I get obviously they probably needed to test them soak testing them before releasing and I'm sure they did and didn't see any issues maybe, The repercussions here lay with PCI SIG.

Don't get me wrong we all know Nvidia can be as unscrupulous as the next brand by hiding info but I have heard PCI SIG are notoriously difficult to get information from and this to me says 1 thing only about the secrecy of them.

I have no doubts that Nvidia has been breathing down PCI SIGS necks for a solution as to why it's happening when the first cases started.

Last edited:
Associate
And so it begins, It would seem Cablemod and other retailers are pulling their adaptors off the shelves lol.

It was only a matter of time before it was hurting their wallet or a lawsuit started rolling.

Thankfully when I kept telling people to stop using those dodgy adaptors in the midst of all that either Matt or Alex banned me from their sub Reddit but it has done me a favour as I was about to block them anyway for spamming the Nvidia group also, Was getting on my nerves, However I'm sure they've made a pretty penny from cashing in on those that couldn't close their cases 8 months back.

Soldato
And so it begins, It would seem Cablemod and other retailers are pulling their adaptors off the shelves lol.

It was only a matter of time before it was hurting their wallet or a lawsuit started rolling.

Thankfully when I kept telling people to stop using those dodgy adaptors in the midst of all that either Matt or Alex banned me from their sub Reddit but it has done me a favour as I was about to block them anyway for spamming the Nvidia group also, Was getting on my nerves, However I'm sure they've made a pretty penny from cashing in on those that couldn't close their cases 8 months back.

Lol and here I am with my cheap and simple Corsair cable just playing games and chilling, not having to worry about expensive cables and weird looking adapters setting on fire

Last edited:
Soldato
I own the Corsair cable and cablemod one, have to say when I tried the Corsair I took it straight out and never used it. Just looks very cheaply made to me. Doesn't even click on the connector properly so didn't like at all. Only problem I had with cablemod was first cable bad sensor wired leading to black screen 100% fan spin, got a second cable from rma and no problems. Seems well made and nice firm click in. Saying that i wouldn't use those adapters of theirs no way.

Associate
I guess cablemod cables for this 12vhpr isn't all it shouted out to be. Seems to be giving people issues from what i've read so far.
I had my doubts about them when they were advertising/posting on the Nvidia Reddit site. They touted how superior their connectors were but also that they were made in China to save money.

Soldato
I guess cablemod cables for this 12vhpr isn't all it shouted out to be. Seems to be giving people issues from what i've read so far.
It seems to be the 90 / 180 degree adapters specifically. (Not necessarily all of the "cables" they offer.)

My 4 > 1 cablemod cable *felt* superior to the Nvidia adapter. The adapter refused to make an audible "click", even when applying cave-man levels of force. The Cablemod cable clicked as expected and certainly secures better than the 90 degree adapters did in the JTC video.

Last edited:
Soldato

I've had a few black screens with this new cablemod adapter. I took it off and used my new PSU 12VHPWR cable and haven't had any issues so far. Damn I just bought this 12VHPWR 90-Degree Adapter a few days ago form OCUK? I would like a replacement or a refund?

I'm getting black screens now all the time. Even with the psu's 12VHPWR cable. I am doing a rma on my card. I don't trust the 12VHPWR anymore. I'll wait until Nvidia replace with the new 12v-2x6 with all 4000 series. Not just 4070

Last edited:
Associate
The actual cablemod cables are fine, this is only affecting that 90 degree adapter. Cablemods extension ones which I use whether you go for the 2x 8 pin or 4x 8 pin are all capable of 600w so the quality of the cables themselves are fine.

That 90 degree adapter is asking for trouble anyway as instead of one point of failure you have two.

Last edited:
Associate
The actual cablemod cables are fine, this is only affecting that 90 degree adapter. Cablemods extension ones which I use whether you go for the 2x 8 pin or 4x 8 pin are all capable of 600w so the quality of the cables themselves are fine.

That 90 degree adapter is asking for trouble anyway as instead of one point of failure you have two.
My observation is their cables seemed to be plagued by the sense cables issue of black screens and lockups and I had this issue myself.

And their adaptors have both issues but more burning than the sense issue.

They keep saying all other cables have this sense issue and I disagree, I never hear or see about these issues and not had a single black screen since using Seasonics cable.

I know some have had replacement cables since and they have been fine at least for now but they do seemed to have issues with both offerings.

Soldato
So all these newly made RTX 4080's and 4090's don't have the new 12V-2x6 only the 4070? Should nvidia do a recall on the 4080 and 4090 with the 12VHPWR or is it safe?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom