Chinese cars

Soldato
It could be true due to regeneration. It's either under power or braking, no coasting. So the tyres are always under stress.

Last edited:
Soldato
was a BYD Atto 3 in the car park at work yesterday, looked far nicer than any Tesla. seems to be getting very bipolar reviews though, from a quick google.

Soldato
It will slow you down a lot quicker than air...
You don't coast to a stop in neutral as you approach a set of traffic lights though. You brake, wasting energy as heat and generating brake dust.

Regen recovers a portion of the energy while generating no brake dust. It's literally win win and the car experiences the same amount of deceleration either way.

I'm sure particulates from tyres will be looked at in the future but it has to be way down the list after combustion particulates, followed possibly by brake dust.

Soldato
Isn’t it to do with evs being heavier on average hence the higher tire wear ? I’ve not owned one so no clue how quick they go through tires? Guess it could all balance out if you brake less aggressively due to one pedal driving etc..
Heavier by the equivalent of a couple of fat blokes in many cases, it’s just not material.

There isn’t a relationship between weight and tyre wear. There are too many factors at play of which the biggest is driving style. If you trail up and down the motorway daily, tyres will last thousands of miles more than a set which does the traffic light GP 6 times a day. Likewise if you drive into every braking zone like your Lewis Hamilton, then you’ll wreck a set of tyres in no time, drive like a normal person and they’ll last a normal amount of time.

My old model 3 was on ~25k when we sold it, it’s original Michelin Pilot Sport tyres were nowhere near expired, if I rotated front to rear, I’d probably have got the set out to near 40k. The car has 300hp which get used regularly. 40k out of a set of high performance summer tyres on a quick car seems more than reasonable to me.

Just for giggles, I just looked up how long a 44T HGV’s tyre is expected to last - 100k according to a few sources which is far longer than a car tyre is expected to last. In other words, it’s a myth or complete nonsense spread by the usual FUD machines.

Also see @bigmike20vt posts about the tyres on his iPace and how long they have lasted.

Associate
Ironically I've had to change a rear tyre at 25k on my ev.

2 blooming nails embedded into it.
Still plenty of tread left on the tyre, gonna have to swap the other so they match I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just for giggles, I just looked up how long a 44T HGV’s tyre is expected to last - 100k according to a few sources which is far longer than a car tyre is expected to last. In other words, it’s a myth or complete nonsense spread by the usual FUD machines.
They probably aren't running 225/45 R18 though ;)

Caporegime
How many miles does a planes tyres last though.

Truck tyres are completely different not really sure why people are arguing that a heavier car doesn’t use tyres up quicker than a lighter car? Anyway the brand makes as much of a difference. Michelins will outlast most performance tyres.

Sometimes pro EV stuff comes accrued a bit deluded. Let’s at least be measured in here.

Caporegime
Heavier by the equivalent of a couple of fat blokes in many cases, it’s just not material.

There isn’t a relationship between weight and tyre wear. There are too many factors at play of which the biggest is driving style. If you trail up and down the motorway daily, tyres will last thousands of miles more than a set which does the traffic light GP 6 times a day. Likewise if you drive into every braking zone like your Lewis Hamilton, then you’ll wreck a set of tyres in no time, drive like a normal person and they’ll last a normal amount of time.

My old model 3 was on ~25k when we sold it, it’s original Michelin Pilot Sport tyres were nowhere near expired, if I rotated front to rear,

Also see @bigmike20vt posts about the tyres on his iPace and how long they have lasted.
My BMW M3 not to be confused with other m3 did 30k on a set of Michelin PS4 and that’s twice the power of the ipace on the rear axle. Let’s not jump around thinking 25k is a lot of miles on a motorway mondeo.

ID3 1800kg, Golf 1400kg is my reference for weights. Not some Stripped out tinny Model 3 at 1800kg compared to a 3 series estate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom