Civilization VI

Associate
All I remember about the AI in my brief stint playing VI was them constantly dropping cities right on my border, then telling me to move my men, followed by a denouncing when I didn't move. Because I couldn't move, they were still in my land!! Oh and never upgrading their units in new tech eras.

Permabanned
I played a bit of last night as the Scottish and honestly not a lot has changed.

Governors add a small boost I guess but not sure how they will effect the end game, I can't say the new era system made any real difference to the way I played. AI still seems a bit off, sending settlers out unprotected and declaring war with no chance of success as per usual.

The emergencies are interesting as the AI does appear go all out to try and achieve them with the AI parking three Apostles next to my capital ensuring there wasn't much I could do about converting it back in the allotted time, basically mission impossible so I declined and just focused on my other cities so I could convert it easily once the challenge was over.

Not sure about the new government district, it's something unique I guess with some various boosts which I'm sure will be useful depending on your needs which may help later in game.

Will play some more over the weekend but not that impressed so far.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Havent had a chance to play it yet as I'm waiting for the YNAEMP mod to be fully ready so that I can play with all 34 civs at once. Plus I need to wait til the weekend because I only play it multiplayer so got to wait for everyone to get their copies.

Soldato
The AI cheats moves? As in free turns or extra tiles? That's pretty lame if so.

If your town are near water tiles that are not fully explored, it can land a unit that will attack you.
then the next unit will land on top of the previous unit, attack and embark. And it can do so with all its available units.
Bypassing the 1UPT and moves spent on landing and embarkation.

Soldato
I'm not sure why people expect the AI to get fixed, as much as I liked V it was poor in that and most of the issues in VI are just the same. I don't think its gonna change, their only system for making it harder seems to be to make it cheat, rather than making it smarter. I guess its just too difficult...

Permabanned
AI is still cheating like crazy, all their cities are 30+ population, even ones on the coast with hardly any land tiles.

Unless you go all out war early game to neutralise them it gets very difficult in the late game as their research and growth is insane even with a small number of cities, even more than it was before.

I was winning fairly easy at the start but did not realise the governors seem to get disabled, I mean that's fair enough if it's espionage of some kind but why do we have to reassign them? Seems a bit stupid and the game didn't appear to alert me, you would think that would be pretty important.

Not sure I like these changes, more micro management and more cheating from the AI.

Soldato
Governments and governors are an interesting dynamic. Not sure I’ve had to reassign governors though. I don’t think it will make or break you in a game.

I’m not sure I get the emergencies game yet. Calling a nuclear emergency at the end of the game just seems like a way of invading or being invaded without a warmonger penalty. When it’s late game you could end up with a nuclear emergency which gives you 40 turns to work on it when there are only 20 turns left. Perhaps it works better on longer games but I don’t normally run it in marathon mode!

Man of Honour
Loving the expansion, we're playing a multiplayer game, marathon, giant map size, us and 32 AI players (emperor difficulty) , been great fun so far and way more stable than in multiplayer previously :)

Soldato
Completed a game ask Shaka the other night - domination victory obviously. Was good fun but took so much longer for some reason. Might have been that I was learning all the new features, but it took about 2 more hours than normal. I did find something odd though. It was declared an emergency against me that I was taking cities and the AI had 30 turns to get a particular one back, or I had 30 turns to defend it. I actually lost the city to a free city status...but the AI saw that as a win and was gifted 6k gold. Odd though as I would understand if they had actually took it back, but it was just a free city, so really we both lost.

Soldato
Completed a game ask Shaka the other night - domination victory obviously. Was good fun but took so much longer for some reason. Might have been that I was learning all the new features, but it took about 2 more hours than normal. I did find something odd though. It was declared an emergency against me that I was taking cities and the AI had 30 turns to get a particular one back, or I had 30 turns to defend it. I actually lost the city to a free city status...but the AI saw that as a win and was gifted 6k gold. Odd though as I would understand if they had actually took it back, but it was just a free city, so really we both lost.

The emergency is declared because you control the city. If you no longer control it, emergency over. And now there are more ways to flip a city than just capturing it yourself.

Soldato
The emergency is declared because you control the city. If you no longer control it, emergency over. And now there are more ways to flip a city than just capturing it yourself.

Yea I captured a few in the game by loyalty too.

I found this one a little odd as I swore it read that I would loose if the other civ took it only, but they didnt take it, a free city did. Does that make sense?

Soldato
It makes sense, but you misread it. Those emergencies are phrased as "Liberate the city of". It's slightly confusing because "Liberate" is also one of the options you get when you take a previously conquered city, implying that your alliance must actually take the city in question. But all you have to do is free it from the defender's control.

Soldato
I'm not sure why people expect the AI to get fixed, as much as I liked V it was poor in that and most of the issues in VI are just the same. I don't think its gonna change, their only system for making it harder seems to be to make it cheat, rather than making it smarter. I guess its just too difficult...
The AI is massively worse then Civ V. We expect it to get fixed as the AI is a big part of what makes Civ games worth playing. With the Ai being in such a poor state Civ VI is just not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom