CODWWII

Soldato
Infantry class, first assault rifle or Mp44, green dot, grip (lower recoil), increased head shot damage.

Thank me later.

Games boring as hell after a couple days.

Search and Destroy might save it for a bit of longevity and competitiveness. I'll stick with siege... maybe even venture into battlefront 2.

Caporegime
I have to say i think bf1 is light years ahead of this in every way, i for one will not be buying, so pleased i tried the beta now.

Yup, dice aren't afraid to change engines for example or apply massive upgrades to them, cod is still using essentially the same engine it started out (modified quake 3) with gaffer taped on additions to try and make it look current. Game-play wise this feels massively outdated, tech wise its a dinosaur. Considering the cod franchise has raked in billions (allegedly to the tune of more than $10 billion) it's not as if they're strapped for cash for a new engine. Seems like quake 3 is still their engine of choice almost 20 years after it launched.

Soldato
It reminds me of being a teenager it's like playing the bloody original all over again, I don't feel much progress at all has been made and when you compare to battlefield it all seems a bit embarrassing.

Permabanned
Yup, dice aren't afraid to change engines for example or apply massive upgrades to them, cod is still using essentially the same engine it started out (modified quake 3) with gaffer taped on additions to try and make it look current. Game-play wise this feels massively outdated, tech wise its a dinosaur. Considering the cod franchise has raked in billions (allegedly to the tune of more than $10 billion) it's not as if they're strapped for cash for a new engine. Seems like quake 3 is still their engine of choice almost 20 years after it launched.

That is why they have made the money they have, the formula has worked, they haven't needed a new engine and what they have done with what they have got, has earned them the big bucks. Why spend more money on something when they can just reskin it and offload it to the millions of people who will stick flock and buy it. It's business genius. They aren't stupid. They don't really care for the end consumer.
I agree, as the consumer it's now time for something new. But do you really think they care that much about what the consumer thinks and wants? we are the sheep (if you let yourself be) they are the puppets.

Last edited:
Associate
Why should it change a winning and selling formula? The engine is old but doesn't make for an ugly game, won't be winning any beauty awards though . The game sells really well year in year out, despite repeated negativity, people will point out declining sales, but the sales are still huge and other publishers and devs could only dream of having them. Call of Duty is brain dead nonsense, you either like or don't

Last edited:
Associate
Stopped buying after blops2, my favourite COD was mw2 and none have come close imo. Even tho its a good selling game they should have upgraded the engine by now, even the pvp in destiny has been a breath of fresh air over recent years.

Associate
Not tried the beta but reading the comments on the outdated engine, how is it possible some devs are able to keep upgrading the same engine year for year while other games are deemed "impossible" to change?

Associate
I have just had a go on the Beta and and am massively disappointed.
Why do I feel like I am running through blancmange and that the weapons have no real feel to them? BF1 is so much better.
Even on 340x1440 everything seemed like cartoons.

Associate
I enjoyed Black Ops 3 as couldn't gel with Infinte Warfare. Once I started playing IW, I really got into it. It's well-balanced and a lot of fun and I play a couple of hours most days. Massively underwhelmed by this beta. Running through blancmange is a good analogy. Guns feel crap too. Lots of people racking up kills by lying prone with a machine gun with a class that's immune to being stunned. Long live Infinite Warfare...

Caporegime
Not tried the beta but reading the comments on the outdated engine, how is it possible some devs are able to keep upgrading the same engine year for year while other games are deemed "impossible" to change?

Could be down to the flexibility of the quake 3 code or might be the features they're implementing aren't fully implemented and lack things that newer engines can show off better. If you think about it the quake 3 engine still used some things from the previous quake games engines so some of its code base date's from around 1995 ish. I'm no engine expert so there's probably a few on here that go into it better. Activision aren't the only ones guilty of this, i remember John Carmack talking about the source engine and mentioning he still seen code from the quake engine in it as that was it's base.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Any competitive FPS is bound to have cheaters. You'd have nothing to lose with this Open Beta, just get a hack, make a new Steam account, download the game and hack away.

There must've been an influx of cheaters around noon yesterday though, two games I played both had cheaters in. That was the first time I'd seen any since it opened on Thursday. Played a fair amount of games mind considering I was at level 35.

Back
Top Bottom