Coffee machines, Tassimo or Nespresso?

Associate
Mrs pulled a trigger on a Nespresso machine with Aerochino from JL the other day as we had a JL gift card for Christmas.

Going to say my goodbyes to my trusty Tassimmo and welcome my new Nespresso overlord with open arms.

Am I best off getting the lungo drinks if I like a fuller (as in quantity) cup of coffee? Anyone recommend some decent, not ridiculously expensive, glass see-through cups for the Nespresso too?

i usually have the ristretto or apreggio for the longer coffee and volluto as an espresso in the morning. i stopped buying the lungo versions.

i've also seen cru cafe recommended on here, but haven't tried myself yet (i really need to order the taste pack from them :o )

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Mrs pulled a trigger on a Nespresso machine with Aerochino from JL the other day as we had a JL gift card for Christmas.

Going to say my goodbyes to my trusty Tassimmo and welcome my new Nespresso overlord with open arms.

Am I best off getting the lungo drinks if I like a fuller (as in quantity) cup of coffee? Anyone recommend some decent, not ridiculously expensive, glass see-through cups for the Nespresso too?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravenhead-...484925854&sr=8-2&keywords=espresso+glass+cups

Caporegime
Good to know they've improved things, looks like you can't recycle them with the rest of your normal council stuff but it's better than it was :)

I will still recommended a proper espresso machine.

Too much faffing about. I don't think people who don't own a nespresso quite understand why it's so popular.

It's because a 5 year old could use it. With next to no cleaning involved.

Lungo is a waste of time it's the same amount of coffee just with more water. The capsules themselves all hold the same amount of coffee. It;s better to find a flavour / type of capsule you like.

I can highly recommend Cru Kafe.

As for glass see through cups. You get a free gift with your first order from nespresso. I opted for glasses however other options are capsule holders, etc.

Soldato
Buy a proper espresso machine, the pods are ridiculously wasteful.

http://i.imgur.com/fBr0BQt.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

But the reason people buy these machines is for convenience. For me, the alternative to a Tassimo isn't a proper espresso machine because it doesn't fit the criteria for what I want.

Associate
I've now tried about 6 cups from the Cru Cafe taster pack and they're quite nice, not really any better than the Nespresso range (I personally like Roma/Ristretto) the only thing is on more than one occasion I have had a little coffee sediment at the bottom of the cup, so I presume the capsules are not piercing property, or too much in this case. Has anyone else had the same with these capsules?

I have also almost completely used the Colonna sample pack. Very distinctive flavours but perhaps I made a mistake going for the long pack, so I'll try the espresso pack next as I generally like two capsules in a latte style. One of the capsules in this pack was horrific though, not to my taste at all!! It had a very individual flavour, with citrus coming through (far too strongly for my liking) not enjoyable at all! As a whole the pack was ok for something different but I'll hold judgement till I've tried the short taster pack also. Also to add that on 2 occasions I have had the capsule not perforate properly and have had to remove it from the machine and reinsert. There seems to be more resistance when closing the machine door on it. Not the end of the world but a minor frustration. I've not had any problems with Nespresso capsules but know of people who have experienced the same with those on an older machine.

Yesterday I went to spend my final £25 voucher in the Nespresso store from the winter promotion to find I have for an unknown reason been credited with £50 instead! Thanks Nespresso!

Associate
I've now tried about 6 cups from the Cru Cafe taster pack and they're quite nice, not really any better than the Nespresso range (I personally like Roma/Ristretto) the only thing is on more than one occasion I have had a little coffee sediment at the bottom of the cup, so I presume the capsules are not piercing property, or too much in this case. Has anyone else had the same with these capsules?

I have also almost completely used the Colonna sample pack. Very distinctive flavours but perhaps I made a mistake going for the long pack, so I'll try the espresso pack next as I generally like two capsules in a latte style. One of the capsules in this pack was horrific though, not to my taste at all!! It had a very individual flavour, with citrus coming through (far too strongly for my liking) not enjoyable at all! As a whole the pack was ok for something different but I'll hold judgement till I've tried the short taster pack also. Also to add that on 2 occasions I have had the capsule not perforate properly and have had to remove it from the machine and reinsert. There seems to be more resistance when closing the machine door on it. Not the end of the world but a minor frustration. I've not had any problems with Nespresso capsules but know of people who have experienced the same with those on an older machine.

Yesterday I went to spend my final £25 voucher in the Nespresso store from the winter promotion to find I have for an unknown reason been credited with £50 instead! Thanks Nespresso!

have the same issue sometimes with the plastic capsules and them not getting pierced properly. never had it with the nespresso ones though.

Caporegime
I went from a capsule system to a bean to cup machine and the difference in price between the capsules and coffee beans mean it paid for itself in less than 2 years.

I spend probably £80 a year on capsules. For me a £500 Bean to cup machine would likely take more than a decade before it broke even with a capsule machine. Chances are it would break down before it broke even.

If you go through a lot of coffee then it makes more sense. How could you be spending £300+ per year on capsules? You would need to be using more than 3 capsules per day and buying them all at full price.

Soldato
Woohoo our Nespresso machine has arrived!

No pods for it though yet :( The Cru Kafe sample pack sounds interesting. I will have a scout about on the Nespresso site tonight as I've got the £75 free credit (albeit in 3 x £25 lots).

Caporegime
Woohoo our Nespresso machine has arrived!

No pods for it though yet :( The Cru Kafe sample pack sounds interesting. I will have a scout about on the Nespresso site tonight as I've got the £75 free credit (albeit in 3 x £25 lots).

Machines come with a small sample pack do they not?

Mine did. Was quite small though like only 6 or 8 capsules

Soldato
Ive no idea. Ive not actually opened up the parcel it came in, its sat here next to me under the desk waiting till home time.

I was hoping it would come with at least something but my Tassimo never came with anything so I assumed it would be the same for the Nespresso! Hopefully i'm wrong and there are a few inside!

Caporegime
register your machine (both of them if you got the milk frother too) and you get vouchers too to spend on their site.

first order gets a free gift like a capsule holder or glasses

Soldato
Mine registered as one rather than 2 seperately so shows as one machine under my Nespresso account (Inissia and Aerochino). Or are you saying you can register the Aerochino separately for extra goodies?

Got 14 capsules free with the machine. Not had chance to give it a whirl yet as it was late when I got in last night and I didn't want a coffee fix so late on.
Plus I've got a few espresso pods left for the Tassimo I want to use!

Signed up to the Nespresso Club last night but I need to wait 24 hours before applying for the £75 credits. The free gifts look OK though, a case to hold pods or a choice of two different glass cup sets.

Soldato
I am considering swapping my Dolce Gusto machine out for one of these. We had one in our hotel room in Nice last year and they had one for breakfast downstairs.

It seems you can get more compatible pods than with other brands and from decent coffee places like Pact Coffee.

Back
Top Bottom