Coffee machines, Tassimo or Nespresso?

Soldato
Well I used my first £25 towards the Discovery 150 pack and free cups.

Love the coffee that this makes the frothier is also a must I would say for those who do not like drinking straight espresso shots.

What is everyone heres favourite pod so far?

I'm enjoying all of the flavored ones. Quite like Arpeggio, Vivalto Lungo and Volutto off the top of my head too. Rosbaya de Colombia was nice too. Going to be difficult to keep track of which ones i like so I don't buy any duff ones in the future!

The aerocino is great aswell. I dont really use it with the whisk as I find you just end up with sheds of foam but it still gives a decent amount of foam when you don't use it so i'm happy with it like that for now. Bought some of the 8oz Bodum Pavina twin wall glass cups to go with it a while back so I feel like a right coffee snobber when i'm drinking it :cool: :p They are actually good glasses though. Got one of the 4 packs on back order with Amazon which has the 3oz and 12oz glasses too.

Caporegime
Ciocattino (one with a bit of chocolate) is really nice.

I like the Cru Kafe ones more than Nespresso for normal coffee. The darker Nespresso ones also tend to better than the coloured or lighter capsules.

Soldato
We have a huge Nespresso machine at work which does flat whites, I don't suppose any of these machines provide that? Maybe a silly question, but looking to get a machine for the home. I also have a £40 JL voucher that needs using!

Thanks.

Soldato
after 10 years of a tassimo i am not bored of the coffee it gives and need to try somthing else i often prefer a normal freeze dried coffee to my tasimos. I have tried a number of different types but there just not for me any more

stick with freeze dried? or ??

Soldato
Psycho Sonny;30483259 said:
Ciocattino (one with a bit of chocolate) is really nice.

I like the Cru Kafe ones more than Nespresso for normal coffee. The darker Nespresso ones also tend to better than the coloured or lighter capsules.

My favourite of the flavoured ones in the Caramel, I found the chocolate one tasted a bit too much like cocoa powder rather than chocolate.

My overall favourite is Arpeggio though

Associate
Belloni;30493683 said:
We have a huge Nespresso machine at work which does flat whites, I don't suppose any of these machines provide that? Maybe a silly question, but looking to get a machine for the home. I also have a £40 JL voucher that needs using!

Thanks.

guess you could get any nespresso machine along with the aerrocino or whatever it's called

Caporegime
after 10 years of a tassimo i am not bored of the coffee it gives and need to try somthing else i often prefer a normal freeze dried coffee to my tasimos. I have tried a number of different types but there just not for me any more

Personally I love my filter coffee machine. I use Waitrose Sumatra Mandheling beans and it makes a lovely clean strong coffee.

The machine I use is this Andrew James one, £80 from Amazon:

cslBUg0.png

Soldato
Interesting that sage are getting into nespresso, machine looks as though may have same internals as their duo pro espresso (non pod) £299.

Nespresso license machine manufacture to different comapnies but not seen much discussion on relative quality of coffee from different nespresso
machines, a quick search revealed one old article

The article was interesting too, since dicusses the ESE (44mm easy serving espresso) pod option which seem to be 20p and can get them in
double shot variety ; in many US companies ESE machines are what they have in meeting rooms, have a filter at work in uk.
Could get something like a Gaggia (sub £400 too) with an ESE pod option for UK and would that really be more hassle than a nespresso

edit: videos of the new nespresso http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAKQxbf-2yTgmOjbouo6Tf4M7dFBODUwL

Last edited:
Caporegime

nespresso > tassimo in terms of pod coffee

then you have the fact some pods are better than others. colonna pods for example.
Nespresso are moving in the right direction adding a steam wand:

http://www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-creatista-coffee-machine-by-sage/p3115694

The arreocino just gives me lots of froth, perfect if you want a cappuccino but not so great for anything else.

But at £400 it's steep! You can get an excellent bean to cup for that kind of money.

Just remove the spring from the aerocinno then you get hot milk with a tiny amount of froth.

Buying a £400 nespresso machine is like buying a £400 gaming mouse.

£70 gaming mouse will do the exact same job just not be overmanufactured and use expensive parts for the sake of it.

Soldato
I am moving out soon and want a new coffee machine, either nespresso or tassimo i guess. I like how with tassimo if i want a latte i just buy the costa latte and its easy to make. With nespresso , whats with all these different types of coffee. Can someone tell me what i need to make a latte,cappucino and a normal coffee with nespresso?

Caporegime
I am moving out soon and want a new coffee machine, either nespresso or tassimo i guess. I like how with tassimo if i want a latte i just buy the costa latte and its easy to make. With nespresso , whats with all these different types of coffee. Can someone tell me what i need to make a latte,cappucino and a normal coffee with nespresso?

Basically Nespresso does coffee only in either a small shot or a large shot (lungo).

To Make a Latte you just add hot milk which you can make using an aerocinno which comes with a lot of the machines. To make a capuccino you add hot frothy milk which you can make using an aerocinno by removing the spring on whisk.

By normal coffe do you mean black? Well then you just add hot water to your shot of coffee.

Soldato
Basically Nespresso does coffee only in either a small shot or a large shot (lungo).

To Make a Latte you just add hot milk which you can make using an aerocinno which comes with a lot of the machines. To make a capuccino you add hot frothy milk which you can make using an aerocinno by removing the spring on whisk.

By normal coffe do you mean black? Well then you just add hot water to your shot of coffee.

So i could just use any of those flavours to make a latte or cappucino?

Yeah i guess i mean ameircano/ or just a coffee that you add normal milk too. Thanks for your help.

Caporegime
So i could just use any of those flavours to make a latte or cappucino?

Yeah i guess i mean ameircano/ or just a coffee that you add normal milk too. Thanks for your help.

I have about 25 different flavours of Nespresso Pods for instance.

CruKafe ones and official Nespresso ones.

Pods come in many different flavours. I tend to stick with just normal coffee and if I want a caramel one I then add syrup. I could buy Caramel pods from nespresso but I think they are crap tbh compared to normal coffee and syrup.

Soldato
I use a Nespresso machine that was generously passed onto me by my brother in law, who had recently upgraded to another Nespresso machine himself.

The coffee and convenience is amazing, I've tried a myriad of options however none have come close to the convenience and taste of the Nespresso pods. I never got on too well with the Tassimo, personally.

Sorry for the derail but, I also wanted to start brewing my own coffee again. A little bit of reading later and I've bought one of these;

p2dv3OX.jpg.png

GIjHLRb.jpg.png

The coffee is so rich, thick and creamy - I can't make it like that with anything else. Amazing stuff.

Soldato
I think I spoke to Nespresso when I had an issue with my vouchers being issued, and the lady said (don't know if this is true), that you can:

1: Go to a store and buy the smallest amount you can buy (probably 10 pods?) for a few pounds...
2: When you get to till, give your membership ID for Nespresso and it will take the cost from your £25 voucher credit.
3: Wait for your next £25 credit to be issued in a day or two, or it might be instant...not sure.
4: Repeat steps 1-3 with another minimal cost order to get the next £25 credit.

What's the point? This is for people that can get to a store and want the maximum credit given to them as fast as possible. It works on the basis that the £25 credits should be issued after ANY order for any value, rather than having to use the whole £25 up. People might want this to get more than £50 credit asap, so they can order the big bundles online with free delivery, which I think comes in at over £50 purchases.

Back
Top Bottom