Coffee machines, Tassimo or Nespresso?

TS7

TS7

Soldato
good to know. i only bought 3 packets so i'll get some loose stuff or even grow my own as i'm guessing it's mostly mint anyway.

Mint Tea is super easy. It is just shredded mint and add boiling water (+ honey or sugar to taste for sweetness). You can even add a bit of loose black tea to make it a bit stronger.

Man of Honour
I have been tempted but does it work out any cheaper than just buying pre filled ones. I mostly use the Costco ones at 16p a capsule, save nespresso ones for weekend.
depends what coffe you buy, it take 7-10g of coffee so easy to work out the cost, bonus is that you can use what ever coffee you like.

a really nice coffee like rave fudge evolution would cost between 14p-20p, so yeah i would say for equal quality it is far cheaper. Although never tried these reusable pods.

Associate
I think it's partly a convenience problem. The machine itself is a convenience device, so as soon as you remove that convenience by having to fill your own pods, you've taken away a chunk of the reason to own the machine.

That said, better coffee for less...!

I use the Aldi and Lidl pods - loads of options, nice coffee and not too expensive

Soldato
depends what coffe you buy, it take 7-10g of coffee so easy to work out the cost, bonus is that you can use what ever coffee you like.

a really nice coffee like rave fudge evolution would cost between 14p-20p, so yeah i would say for equal quality it is far cheaper. Although never tried these reusable pods.
Yeah i was looking at buying this and a couple of bags of Rave coffee to try in them!

Looking at this video, it doesn't seem like too much trouble to do this at all:

Might take a couple of minutes longer than just popping a capsule in but not the end of the world

Man of Honour
I just picked up a Nespresso Pixie, was on offer for £50 on Amazon for the aluminium one. I only drink black coffee so it's perfect. And the Aldi pods are better than the official ones imo, which is brilliant as they are dirt cheap

Soldato
yes the Aldi ~17p pods are meant to be good
amused me that the re-usable pod foil caps are 10p each Amazon Sealpod-Espresso-Lids-Nespresso-Reusable-Capsules-Sticker in comparison
depends what coffe you buy, it take 7-10g of coffee so easy to work out the cost, bonus is that you can use what ever coffee you like
I thought the nespresso genine pods are all sub 7g
and appeared that refillable are sub 6g , I guess since stainless is thicker than plastic

also if you roll your own, keeping them fresh maybe difficult unless you can vacuum pack or give them nitrogen to breathe.

Man of Honour
I thought the nespresso genine pods are all sub 7g
and appeared that refillable are sub 6g , I guess since stainless is thicker than plastic

also if you roll your own, keeping them fresh maybe difficult unless you can vacuum pack or give them nitrogen to breathe.
it says 7-10g in the faq for the ones posted. If its less then that cuts cost. there are many reusable ones that don't have lids and if you use cheap coffee then obviously it'll be even cheaper. As for freshness pods aren't fresh at all, probably been packed for months. Most people will probably get through a bag of coffee in a week or two and can be stored in the vacuum pump Tupperware.

Soldato
I've recently bought a Creatista Plus. It does the job very nicely and we're currently working our way through a bunch of different pods to see which we prefer.

Using Nespresso is a bit of a departure for me, I used to use a Rancilio Silvia but the heating element died in that and whilst I could have got it replaced I like the lack of faff associated with pod machines. My missues couldn't get a good espresso from the Silvia but now they're of course consistent. Perhaps not quite as good as the Silvia but there's very little in it.

Caporegime
making your own pods defeats the whole purpose IMO.

also you can buy pods from anywhere. pods albeit expensive when compared to beans when you factor in the convenience there isn't much in it. unless you drink a lot of coffee your better off with pods unless your a coffee enthusiast. then you wouldn't have a nespresso machine in the first place you would go for bean to cup or a grinder, temp, and a proper espresso machine.

it's like making your own cup a soup sachets. there is no point.

Back
Top Bottom