nam

nam

Soldato
finally got a call from cancellations who have moved me onto the 1gb for £25 pushed the installation date back a week to 15th. They apologised for the slow CS response and not a problem to move to 1gb with 1 month free thrown in over the 24 month contract. Look forward to the 15th :)

Reactions: R3X

nam

nam

Soldato
just had my 1Gb installed, took less than one hour supplied with the linksys MX4200. Doss anyone know how to change the default SSID ?

Screenshot-20220811-142319-FAST.jpg

Caporegime
Any one here on CF with a Unifi set up? Considering jumping from VM to them and wondered if there are any considerations. My VM Superhub is running in modem mode and the Dream Machine does the rest.

Soldato
finally getting full fiber to the property.

question is that I have ubiquiti edgerouter lite. currently connected to WAN via plusnet modem and using PPPoE with a login.

How is the connectin to community fibre work? is it PPPoE as well or it is DHCP?

lastly got a great deal as introductory offer for 2 years. so what are the general consensus when the contract is up? do they offer a new deal or it reverts to the full price?

thanks

Caporegime
It uses DHCP. I'm not sure anybody has had a Community Fibre contract past the initial deal period, so it's a bit of an unknown what happens when the contract term expires. You'll probably have Openreach and G.Network and Hyperoptic available by then though, so you can hop around.

Associate
Any one here on CF with a Unifi set up? Considering jumping from VM to them and wondered if there are any considerations. My VM Superhub is running in modem mode and the Dream Machine does the rest.
I know a few people who have done this and no issues. Any questions feel free to message via Trust or on here.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Using UniFi setup here with no problems. I simply unplugged my BT ONT, logged into my UniFi controller, changed from pppoe to DHCP and plugged in the CF ONT and it connected straight away without any issues.

Caporegime
CF installed, got some crazy speeds when connected to their router. However I've now taken their WAN cable and put it into the internet port on my UDM. Didn't have to change anything, current network carried on fine but my speeds won't go past Virgin's old speeds (350/35). I changed the 'provider capabilities' in the UDM settings to 1/1Gbps but still getting old speeds. What am I missing?

Edit - never mind, there was another setting I needed to update with the new speeds (smart queues up/down rate). All good now - jeez Louise!

Edit - assume I don't need to change the default password? As I'm not using their router.

Edit - forgot to mention about the experience in general. Right from the get go until installation, it's been a stellar experience. Their sales and customer services were hot on the case once I showed interest, did a good job between purchase and installation to make sure the install date would go ahead, and then engineer was very friendly and got the job done in on time (plus he was a dab hand on the piano). Considering the rigmarole I've had with booking install dates, terrible customer services with other ISPs - this was by far the smoothest.

Caporegime
Excellent initial set up and first couple of weeks only to hit the fan. Noticed my media server stopped responding but a neighbour confirmed by WiFi network is still running, over a day after the outage - CF contacted me confirming it was their outage. No time frame and supposedly I'll hear something by 9am today. I've had outages before but never this long.

Last edited:
Associate
Got mine installed yesterday, and they refused to install it in the room where I wanted which was a bit annoying. So now I need to run a cable 20ish metres to where I want it to be. Anyone know if I'm better off running ethernet and keeping the router and modem where it is or running fibre optic SC/APC cable (if that's the right one). Running the SC/APC cable would be better as then the modem wouldn't have to be in the middle of a bedroom not near a plug.

Soldato
Got mine installed yesterday, and they refused to install it in the room where I wanted which was a bit annoying. So now I need to run a cable 20ish metres to where I want it to be. Anyone know if I'm better off running ethernet and keeping the router and modem where it is or running fibre optic SC/APC cable (if that's the right one). Running the SC/APC cable would be better as then the modem wouldn't have to be in the middle of a bedroom not near a plug.
whereabouts did they install it and why did they refuse to install to the place you wanted it to?

Associate
whereabouts did they install it and why did they refuse to install to the place you wanted it to?
So it's a terraced house that is a room with a bay window, then the front door/hall, then to the right of that is a second smaller room a few metres back from the front of the house. Two guys came to install it and I spoke to the first one and he said it couldn't go into the smaller room as there was a radiator in the way on the inside a drain pipe on the outside so there was no room to drill. There is a 20cm-ish gap between the top of the radiator and window so I suggested drilling it there but he said the radiator would melt the wires. I never use that radiator so was happy for it to go half way up the wall even though it would look a bit weird.

Then the second guy who was doing the drilling told me that the cable coming from the telephone pole can't go round corners (since this bit is a few metres back from the front of the house) which seemed a bit ridiculous as the final installation definitely does a few 90 degree turns. In the end I gave up and let me stick it under the bay window.

Back
Top Bottom