'Contact lost' with Malaysia Airlines plane

alx

alx

Soldato
Didn't they say a few months back they'll have the whole area they've been searching in mapped by June/July and if they haven't found it by then that's the end of the search?

Basically, from an article I read on the BBC earlier they said:
"The ocean search, involving Australia, Malaysia and China, has scoured more than 105,000 sq km of seafloor so far, much of it areas which have never been explored before.
But the countries have agreed that in the absence of "credible new information" the search will end by the middle of the year."

Man of Honour
Really? It's a big ocean!

I'm aware, but it's still 2 years on and it's not like they're searching with torches, they have good equipment.

It does seem like they just might be in the wrong area though. You can check all over the living room as much as you want, but if you left the keys on your bedroom table you won't find them in the living room :p

Soldato
I'm aware, but it's still 2 years on and it's not like they're searching with torches, they have good equipment.

It does seem like they just might be in the wrong area though. You can check all over the living room as much as you want, but if you left the keys on your bedroom table you won't find them in the living room :p

Unless it's a conspiracy and someone else moved them #tfh

Caporegime

Lol. Completely true! And something I've done far too often

Caporegime
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ater-says-crash-expert?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

So there is evidence to suggest the plane was deliberately flown into the water. Not exactly a surprise considering the course changes and shutting off of transponders but at least there is more evidence to support it.

Whatever happened it's becoming increasingly obvious that whoever flew that plane into the water did not want it to be found. Why? That I guess is the big question.

The current search area has been almost completely surveyed now so unless they go back and start organizing a survey based on the flight data found on the captains plane I can't see the plane ever being found. Even then it probably won't help. I guess this will go down as one of aviation unsolved mysteries, unless it does happen to have had some nefarious connections and paperwork is discovered in decades/hundreds of years.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The current search area has been almost completely surveyed now so unless they go back and start organizing a survey based on the flight data found on the captains plane I can't see the plane ever being found. Even then it probably won't help. I guess this will go down as one of aviation unsolved mysteries, unless it does happen to have had some nefarious connections and paperwork is discovered in decades/hundreds of years.

I still reckon it is quite a bit more North and West of where they are looking :s

Soldato
They'll find it, but it will be years, decades, down the line. You can speculate on the likes of Amelia Earhart, but her plane was tiny by comparison. A patrolling sub, a large storm, something will cause this to come to light but we'll probably never know the actual reason or cause because those flight recorders will be complete toast. What is weird to think, given that the plane evidence suggest a controlled water landing (as best that can be achieved), would have 200+ people in it, all sat in their chairs, all dead, or compressed / crushed. Doesn't really bear thinking about.

Last edited:
Soldato
if the plane was deliberately flown into the water then why would the pilot waited 6+ hrs ?

dont know if its suicide like this german plane crashed into mountains in south France.

got the feeling they got the sat ping location wrong.

Caporegime
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ater-says-crash-expert?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

So there is evidence to suggest the plane was deliberately flown into the water. Not exactly a surprise considering the course changes and shutting off of transponders but at least there is more evidence to support it.

Whatever happened it's becoming increasingly obvious that whoever flew that plane into the water did not want it to be found. Why? That I guess is the big question.

Pilot suicide and wanted to be remembered as one of the great musteries?

Caporegime
They'll find it, but it will be years, decades, down the line. You can speculate on the likes of Amelia Earhart, but her plane was tiny by comparison. A patrolling sub, a large storm, something will cause this to come to light but we'll probably never know the actual reason or cause because those flight recorders will be complete toast. What is weird to think, given that the plane evidence suggest a controlled water landing (as best that can be achieved), would have 200+ people in it, all sat in their chairs, all dead, or compressed / crushed. Doesn't really bear thinking about.

Yeah, pretty gruesome! I had an image of the cabin sat at the bottom of the ocean, but tbh after two years there's probably no human remains left. Wildlife would have cleared everything not covered in silt by now. :/

I think the most likely way it will ever be found is some kind of detailed survey stumbles across it, perhaps when sea floor mining takes off, or a future satellite picks up an anomaly caused by the metal of the fuselage. The latter may be problematic as aluminium isn't ferrous/magnetic and the former would be scuppered if an earthquake or slip of some kind buries the fuselage.

Either way it'll be decades/centuries IMO.

if the plane was deliberately flown into the water then why would the pilot waited 6+ hrs ?

dont know if its suicide like this german plane crashed into mountains in south France.

Because it would have made it even more difficult to find. If that single ping hadn't occurred then we wouldn't have had any idea where to look.

Pilot suicide and wanted to be remembered as one of the great musteries?

Shame I doubt anyone can name him without looking it up! :p

Man of Honour

The alleged evidence even if it's true and has been interpreted correctly is not proof of the plane being deliberately flown into the water.

If it's true and if it has been interpreted correctly, it's evidence that someone was able to move part of the control surfaces of the plane.

It's not proof that anyone had complete control of the plane, only of that part.

It's not proof that whoever had that control was the pilot or was competent to fly the plane.

It's also not proof that the impact was a deliberate crash. One possible explanation is that whoever was flying the plane decided that it had become impossible to make a proper landing and was attempting to "land" the plane on water in the hope that at least some of the passengers could survive. That's not a good idea, but in some circumstances it's the least bad option available.

Soldato

that's not even remotely "becoming obvious". the deployed flaperon suggests a controlled landing attempt, is someone was deliberately crashing the plane all they'd have to do is point it downwards.

as for not finding stuff, consider this
http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=39936#.V6BHVaKgup4

Man of Honour
Caporegime
that's not even remotely "becoming obvious". the deployed flaperon suggests a controlled landing attempt, is someone was deliberately crashing the plane all they'd have to do is point it downwards.

as for not finding stuff, consider this
http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=39936#.V6BHVaKgup4

I understand the concept and scale of the issue, however we have a plane that was deliberately flown of course, with multiple course corrections, quite possibly to try and avoid radar contact. We have multiple pieces of instrumentation that turned off and we now have potential evidence that the plane was in control when it landed in the water.

The idea all of those were due to an accident, rather than design is probably more questionable than a deliberate act.

Yes, there could have been a horrible electrical fault that caused the issue, potentially disabling the pilots soon after takeoff. Yet someone piloting the plane managed to turn at specific waypoints after than, which makes that seem unlikely, along with the idea of just being lost.

Back
Top Bottom