'Contact lost' with Malaysia Airlines plane

Man of Honour
All that said:

http://www.airtrafficmanagement.net/2014/06/mh370-most-likely-flying-on-autopilot/

Can someone explain to me why they came to that conclusion? How did an autopilot flying a route designed to get to China suddenly decide to use several waypoints in a completely different direction to the way it was supposed to be going?

Not read the article but I believe its something about emergency ILS approaches for auto landing or something which won't necessarily be along the plotted course and when it diverts to one and then abandons it the next could be any direction (I don't really understand it).

Soldato
Is anybody left looking for this?

What changes have been made to track all commercial flights so this isn't allowed to happen again?

Man of Honour
Is anybody left looking for this?

What changes have been made to track all commercial flights so this isn't allowed to happen again?

Only so much you can do if the plane itself stops broadcasting - trying to blanket cover every last inch of the sky with satellite and ground based tracking to handle commercial traffic, etc. isn't really realistic as things stand.

Soldato
News reporting a crashed plane has been found on google maps in Cambodia 12°05'20.4"N 104°09'05.1"E

To me it looks too intact and is more likely a picture of a flying aircraft probably between Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh

Man of Honour
No obvious signs of damage to the surrounding area - if it had come down remotely as intact as that image it would have cut a pretty big swathe through the vegetation which should still show some signs.

There used to be a great one over either Hyde park or St. James park of a aircraft flying over but they seem to have updated since :(

EDIT: Seems people have looked at historic images taken after the plane went missing and it isn't there then so that isn't where it came to rest if it crashed on the day.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dunno, looking at the image it looks far too intact to have crashed into the jungle, even on a shallow descent the dense trees would have torn the wings off and left a trail of debris behind it. And like Rroff says, there's also no damage to the jungle either. Besides, that aircraft, if it is indeed an aircraft, looks to have the engines mounted to the rear like an old 727 or MD-80.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Dunno, looking at the image it looks far too intact to have crashed into the jungle, even on a shallow descent the dense trees would have torn the wings off and left a trail of debris behind it. And like Rroff says, there's also no damage to the jungle either. Besides, that aircraft, if it is indeed an aircraft, looks to have the engines mounted to the rear like an old 727 or MD-80.

Yeah if the vegetation in that area was soft enough you could force a plane down (and it is still clearly visible from above) that needs near 2km in normal conditions and atleast a few 100m in a ditch landing then there is going to still be signs of that and if it was dense jungle and/or wooded there is zero chance it wouldn't have had the wings severely damaged at the very least.

Man of Honour
Damn I had forgotten about this one. Can't believe they still didn't find it. The pilot really wanted it to stay hidden, huh.

I don't get the reluctance and dismissiveness as to the Iranian angle - there are a couple of abnormalities there but at face value the authorities appear to have given it little credence.

I still think it went down towards the north and west rather than deep south.

Back
Top Bottom