Coolermaster ATCS case pics

Soldato
Thought I'd resurrect this post again, I've just picked up two ATCS 201 cases in black for a tenner. I have a suspicion that they "could" be a pair of black widows as the entire paintwork is "piano black", very smooth and glossy and both cases have a windowed side panel, so I'm hoping someone could identify them for me. They're both in a bit of a sorry state but for a tenner for both, wadya expect though structually they're fine. I'm going to try and do another number on them again (or pick the best parts and make one decent case). I'm not sure what I'll do to them, but at least one will involve custom water cooling, the other AIO cooling.
They're both going to need to be resprayed as theres chips and scratches all over them but luckily the front panels aren't too bad, hopefully a bit of polishing will do the trick here. Both the front fan grilles are dented but I'm hoping to be able to sort those out. I'll more than likely replace the on/off and reset switches with newer items as well. I'm also looking at replacing the usb sockets behind the two doors in the front panels with USB 3 items.

C64

C64

Soldato
Am I missing something, what makes this case so amazing.

I mean, it looked nice and was suitable 10+ years ago...

agreed I never understood the love for it, each to their own I guess
But I don't consider it a classic case at all aesthetically

Last edited:
Soldato
You generally find its the old gits who like them:p, when they first came out they were well expensive and beyond the reach of a lot of people due to cost. Those two above would have well over £200 each in 1999-2000 with amazing build quality and construction. Of course, you can now get better cases for a fraction of the price, but they still don't have the quality "feel" about them that the atcs cases had/have.
Got to admit though, I still like them and lots of others do too.

Soldato
if they are that old, then i can imagine them being the dogs twicher at the time, the rest of us mortals would still have be on beige cases, with razor thin metal, i remember a crappy case i had from another supplier that needed plastic rails fitting to the drives before you could put in case, you lost any rails your were stuffed,:mad:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Even the Lian-Li's of the age were a bit shoddy in comparison. Well above the average quality case mind, but compared to a coolermaster, a Lian-Li had far thinner materials, and the front panels left a lot to be desired!

Still wish I'd never sold my 110, but as a lowly student and a case worth the best part of £300, I couldn't justify keeping it.

Associate
I have a suspicion that they "could" be a pair of black widows as the entire paintwork is "piano black", very smooth and glossy and both cases have a windowed side panel, so I'm hoping someone could identify them for me.

I will speak to the case PM tomorrow to see if he can assist with identification. Is there a product SN anywhere?

Last edited:
I think every 201 with those grilles ended up dented, just at foot level as you approached the PC to turn them on lol. *boot*

These cases are perfect for a low power PC build, TDPs are dropping on CPUs and GPUs so you could quite easily build a decent gaming rig once again I reckon. Might give my brother a yell and tell him to get the ol' bronze beauty out of the loft. :)

Associate
Unfortunately we are unable to 100% confirm, however that product code is different from the normal ATC-201B-SXT and ATC-201B-SXK denoting black and silver respectively, so you may have one! Need to do some further digging.

Further digging reveals this-
1es4kj.png

http://blueinferno.co.uk/hosted/thinkharder/spec/index2.php

You sir are the proud owner of a black widow.

Last edited:
Associate
As an owner of an ATCS-201-SX which housed an ancient AMD 2800 XP+ system, I was recently building a new PC. With Win 10 coming it seemed an ideal time to upgrade. Prior to seeing this thread I was convinced I should buy a new case. My budget was tight so to keep costs low I carried over my PSU, went with a G3258, and opted for on-board graphics until a hopeful future upgrade. Looking at cases with future expandability in mind, I was being taken towards the Cooler Master HAF XB Evo or Corsair 780t Graphite. Though I'm happy with this for now until upgrades mean it needs to change. None of my three IDE optical drives nor the floppy work with the new motherboard, but luckily I was able to find the blanks.

I cleaned the case up stripping it down. The biggest annoyance was the soldering on the back of the switches snapped off with a slight touch. I amateurishly resoldered them and now the switches sit proud of the front panel for some reason, but at least they both work.

Last edited:
Ah it's only been 5 years... Slowly putting a build together for a mate.

Ryzen 1600X
MSI B350 Mate
16GB
GT730 (for now)
ATC-201 w/ Lamptron Fan Controller and front panel audio/Firewire 400 :)D) Port Mod
4x Sharkoon Golf Ball Fans

0Gx1ZCE.jpg

yItAF4E.jpg

Standard issue sound deadening material:

XVe1HK8.jpg

Last build I put in here:

8plz7ND.jpg

Best I can do cable management wise:

HtfWphL.jpg

If Coolermaster could make another case with the same design principles as this but for modern hardware I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 120-140mm fan support, solid aluminium build and car-spec paint work. :)

This case first saw an Athlon XP 2100 build, then a 2500+, Conroe E6600 and finally a Q6600 on an IP35 Pro. My brother ran it for a while with a 4670k but the thermal limitations with a modern GPU proved a bit too much for it.

This'll likely end up running with the side off once there's a GPU in there but couldn't resist putting a modern-ish setup in there for old time's sake. :)

Last edited:
Associate

Ryzen 1600X
MSI B350 Mate
16GB
GT730 (for now)
ATC-201 w/ Lamptron Fan Controller and front panel audio/Firewire 400 :)D) Port Mod

0Gx1ZCE.jpg

yItAF4E.jpg

XVe1HK8.jpg

8plz7ND.jpg

Still better build quality than most cases made today in its price range imo, can't beat solid aluminium, even the 011 chassis doesn't feel as sturdy as the ATC-201.

Soldato

Ryzen 1600X
MSI B350 Mate
16GB
GT730 (for now)

0Gx1ZCE.jpg

yItAF4E.jpg

XVe1HK8.jpg

8plz7ND.jpg

Best I can do cable management wise:

HtfWphL.jpg

If Coolermaster could make another case with the same design principles as this but for modern hardware I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 120-140mm fan support, solid aluminium build and car-spec paint work. :)

This case first saw an Athlon XP 2100 build, then a 2500+, Conroe E6600 and finally a Q6600 on an IP35 Pro. My brother ran it for a while with a 4670k but the thermal limitations with a modern GPU proved a bit too much for it.

This'll likely end up running with the side off once there's a GPU in there but couldn't resist putting a modern-ish setup in there for old time's sake. :)

I’m so jealous of this.

Back
Top Bottom