CoolIT Systems - 240mm ECO info

Soldato
Basically when turned on it stops the cpu voltage from dropping. I leave it off, and my CPU voltage drops from 1.29375v to 1.29v under load. The vid of my chip is 1.18 so 1.29 is nothing really.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ios_vdroop.asp+evga+vdroop&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

5970 heat have little effect really on cpu and system stability. My gpus run at 35-38 degrees idle when not being stressed and hardly impact cpu or system temps. And they never pass 70 under load. I have 2 140mm fans on the sidepanel of my case which also direct airflow to the bottom 3 fans of each card, plus the pci-e slots are vented.

Last edited:
Associate
Our tests have shown that even our standard ECO in push pull intake vs H70 was almost a dead heat so yeah very interested in seeing what you guys get w/ the 240 in standard, push/pull and intake configurations.

How could you make that statement knowing that earlier comparisons (in this forum) have shown that the H50 is better (very slightly, but it's there) than the Eco?
Isn't the H70 an improvement over the H50... with that in mind it should soundly beat the H50!

Associate
You cant believe anything anymore, anyone linked to a manufacturer is going to point you to a reviewer, who is supported and most likely not wanting to give up that support, so gives a BS review.

I'd like to see an independent review of both.

There are some good threads around (inc. this forum) which have some independent reviews done by enthusiasts etc. who bought both the Eco/H50.

They finally (took ages to get anything on the net) proved "beyond a shadow of a doubt" that the H50 is slightly better overall.
But as I recall the differences were fairly negligible, so price and other considerations may be more of a factor for some.

Last edited:
Associate
Regarding the H70, I returned it in the end. To be honest I couldn't be bothered testing it. The short tubes also annoyed me. I know it would perform better then the H50 with the loud stock fans but from all the reviews I have read on hardforums,xs and a few other places, comparing like for like (fan wise) doesn't yield huge gains and a lot of people have said the H50->H70 upgrade was not worth it. Besides the ECO 240 just looks plain cooler :D.

Tis a shame you didn't decide to keep the H70...

But if it's true that there's little difference between the h50 & h70 whilst using the same fans.
Then I can see why you wouldn't bother when you can already see a 5+ degree improvement over the H50 with the Eco 240mm.

Sounds like the Eco 240mm is the obvious buy, if mounting isn't an issue.
As it offers a clear performance improvement over the Eco/H50, whereas the H70's is negligible.

I might go read some comparison between the H50 and H70 just to verify your claims.
Thanks again for sharing your results.

Last edited:
Associate
Custom water baby! Finished it a few days ago, i can run it with three fans in push at around 400rpm each with my i7930 @ 4.5ghz 1hour in prime 95 the temps never go above 70c
4gits3.jpg
This was my 1st build aswell! Cost me £230 everything, think i might put my gpu's into the loop. If you can afford it, do it!

Soldato
I wish I had the patience and nerve to do proper watercooling like Hammerfist and many others on these forums but I would definitely make a bags of it. That's why I went for the ECO 240. I can't tell you how much of a relief it is NOT to have a noisy pump like on the H50. By all accounts the H70 one is silent, but every review I've read has said marginal improvements under normal operation, and worth it only if running fans at high speed which is where most reviews saw the main improvements of the H70 over the H50.

One oberservation I will make about the ECO 240 is that my VREG temp on the motherboard has gone from 45 to 39. I am using the same rear intake fan blowing onto the Vreg as before. Same Viper fans. Only thing that has changed is going from a H50 to a H70. Also under load my Vreg does not go over 50 and my Northbridge stays between 60 and 65 which is very good for a Classified with an Nforce 200 and an improvement of 5 degrees over the H50.

Anyway, with the ECO installed my PC is now finished bar installing the Corsair AX1200 next week (if it arrives) and having to do proper cable management around back. Plus I need to mod a Lian Li bezel for the optical drive.

Here are some more pics.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a shame it doesn't lay top-end air coolers to rest, once and for all.
From the reviews I've read, it sounds like it's equal, but not yet solidly beating them.

Soldato
Love your build Flanno. At first I wasn't that impressed with the overclock and then I realised you were running 12GB of ram - top effort mate. BTW, what do you do with 2 X 5970's! Thats insane mate!

Soldato
Overclock isn't anything special but 4.2 is enough for me and was easily achievable with the Classified and I use it 24/7 for gaming. 12gig ram is only running at around 1650mhz but am managing that with CAS 7 timings. Currently testing with 200BCLK and ram at 2000mhz CAS 8 using same voltages. Seems to be going OK but it takes me a couple of weeks before I'm happy with an overclock.

Only now I'm back into gaming....so all the latest stuff at 2560x1600 with max eye candy, even though I know I should add 2 more of those screens for eyeinfinity but don't have the room yet. Each of the gpu's are clocked at 970/1250 with 2gig ram on each gpu, so basically faster then 4x5870's at stock speed and the benefit of extra memory in the few games that need it at that res. The cards limit my choice of board to the Classified as the top gpu which takes 3 pci slots in fact needs to have the 4th one kept free so the fans can pull in air from outside the vented pci slot below it. Which means moutning the X-Fi in the top PCI-e 1x slot. Something that would not be possible on the Rampage III.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wish I had the patience and nerve to do proper watercooling like Hammerfist and many others on these forums but I would definitely make a bags of it.

It's not as difficult as it can look. I firmly believe if you have a decent knowledge of pc's behind you and do a decent amount of reading you can put a custom loop together. I really enjoyed building my loop, reminded me of the first time i ever built a pc on my own :)

Soldato
May consider it. I just have issues with new stuff like that, and not just PC stuff. Modding in general. The proverbial crap always hits the fan with me. As my poor car found out. :(

Soldato
It might not beat them on temps but surely it beats them on noise?

How does it beat them on noise? Top air-coolers will use 2 fans in push-pull, say Akasa Vipers. You fork out £40 for Megahalems/Venomous-X and £30 for the fans.

With CoolIT 240 you need £120 for the cooler and replace noisy fans for £30.

£70 for the top air-cooler setup or £150 for sealed watercooling. Both performing the same. Watercooled one having a pump that makes some noise too.

If you're talking say Noctua NH-D14 stock fans vs CoolIT 240 stock fans then it's fairly obvious that CoolIT will perform worse with low rpm and equally with full rpm but will be hell lot of noisier then.

Associate
You should do it, its easy. Cut hose-compressions fitting here, tighten this, tighten that. The hardest part for me was mounting the waterblock onto the mobo, with all those back plates and washers haha. Depends if you need it, i want silence and speed for overnight rendering 3d scenes and stuff, if you only use yours for gaming it may not be worth it.

Soldato
If you're talking say Noctua NH-D14 stock fans vs CoolIT 240 stock fans then it's fairly obvious that CoolIT will perform worse with low rpm and equally with full rpm but will be hell lot of noisier then.

Noctua D14 will beat ECO 240mm too easy on low rpm with a push-pull (viper fans). I ran 2 x 900rpm and top temp around 74C max with 4.2ghz and can be lower to 69C if using 1900rpm x 2. Viper fan is also quiet.

Soldato
The ECO 240 pump is silent unlike the H50. At close to 100% load on each cpu my vipers will speed up to 1500rpm so not quiet but how often do you run your cpu at 100% load. Almost never, not even when gaming. In fact the most stressful thing I do on the PC is game and the cpu's stays in the low 40's. So while I didn't need an ECO 240 it's nice to have. The fans are silent at the temperature I run day to day. I'm sure with a good aircooler it's the same story but I think the 5 vipers I have in the top of the case, and 4 in push pull with the rad are helping my system temps and vreg temps as well which I didn't expect. Also, the major plus for me is being able to install 6 sticks of Dominator GT with the extra long aftermarket ram sinks from the Corsair store (taller then the standad gt sinks). Not possible to use these with those large cpu aircoolers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom