• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

I think its all E-PEEN BS TBH. If anyone were that wealthy they wouldn't be going on forums to justify their own purchases and would not be moaning about people "complaining" about price. They will most likely not even bother building their own PCs,just ordering some £5000 8-Pack PC instead.

So if you buy a house,do you look at the financial status of the previous owner and then say,eh your price is so cheap,how about I offer you 20% more on top??

5k is entry level, we sold a custom spec Supernova this week and by the time the customer had finished it was £27,000, some people literally want the best and want something bespoke, the cost is irrelevant.

Yes the 9900K should be cheaper, but at the same time Intel have a huge lineup of processors typically hitting all price points and giving good performance. The better stuff cost more.

Basin Falls refresh is coming soon and W3175X so if a £600 upsets some then you guys best start stocking up on Kleenex tissues now as some of the new processors will be a few grand each. :eek:

5k is entry level, we sold a custom spec Supernova this week and by the time the customer had finished it was £27,000, some people literally want the best and want something bespoke, the cost is irrelevant.

Yes the 9900K should be cheaper, but at the same time Intel have a huge lineup of processors typically hitting all price points and giving good performance. The better stuff cost more.

Basin Falls refresh is coming soon and W3175X so if a £600 upsets some then you guys best start stocking up on Kleenex tissues now as some of the new processors will be a few grand each. :eek:

The issue,is that Intel could have tried this years ago,but in the end its a more competitive market now,so increasing the cost of midrange Core i5 8600/9600K from £220 to £330 and having no stock will have an effect. Its already having any effect if you look at the large commodity CPU retailers,like that other plaice which shall not be mentioned.

Another point though - from my experience of wealthier people I know,they are not going to go on the internet,to moan about people moaning about price,and they are more likely to just buy something prebuilt since their time is money and that is that.

Also something like the W3175X is not really relevant to gamers,which most here are - the only places where I have seen such kinds of HEDT systems deployed in quantity(with ECC RAM) in the last decade were not for gaming,and back in the day I remember such places even had DEC Alpha workstations which cost ridiculous money.

Last edited:
The issue,is that Intel could have tried this years ago,but in the end its a more competitive market now,so increasing the cost of midrange Core i5 8600/9600K from £220 to £330 and having no stock will have an effect. Its already having any effect if you look at the large commodity CPU retailers,like that other plaice which shall not be mentioned.

Another point though - from my experience of wealthier people I know,they are not going to go on the internet,to moan about people moaning about price,and they are more likely to just buy something prebuilt since their time is money and that is that.

Yes we all get older, some of us wealthier and yes its much easier to just pay someone else to do it for you and more convenient.

Once Intel haven no supply issues in a few months time, prices will have more a sense of normality, so right now you either want it and pay the extra, you want it but can't afford or justify it or its the same old of people complaining about something they had no intention of ever purchasing anyway.

Those who want it will just buy it or wait a few months, or simply buy something else like 2700X, 1950X or even something like 8700K which we have in stock at £419.99, not cheap but at least in stock and cheaper than other UK shops.

The issue, is that Intel could have tried this years ago, but in the end its a more competitive market now, so increasing the cost of midrange Core i5 8600/9600K from £220 to £330 and having no stock will have an effect. Its already having any effect if you look at the large commodity CPU retailers, like that other plaice which shall not be mentioned.

Another point though - from my experience of wealthier people I know, they are not going to go on the internet, to moan about people moaning about price, and they are more likely to just buy something prebuilt since their time is money and that is that.

Also something like the W3175X is not really relevant to gamers, which most here are - the only places where I have seen such kinds of HEDT systems deployed in quantity(with ECC RAM) in the last decade were not for gaming, and back in the day I remember such places even had DEC Alpha workstations which cost ridiculous money.

One of my clients has already shifted their intel stock after the downgrade, if I had any I would be worried about it too given the growth of competition and their management **** ups. I am not in anyway an intel fanboy if AMD brought out the same chip at the same price with the same peformance it would be down to the motherboards.

I entered into this discussion simply to highlight the real economic/purchasing phenomenon of acceptability of price acceleration during the retail transaction - that is when people are already committed to spend money 'topping up' that cost with extra services, upgrades etc. takes place in every market sector and is highly effective. Probably best examples are cars and hotels. But regardless my point was those that are already in the market to upgrade or replace their systems 1/2/300 quid may not be a large sum in this market niche. Especially if the cost is amortized over a multi year basis (and purchased in a tax efficient manner).

I was trying to get across the very human emotion of "oh go on then", coupled with the freedom that we all have to waste money on non utility generating purchases (be it food, watching sports, fashion items etc.) and this was interpreted as me being some kind of intel fanboy or hater of the poor. It wasn't at all it's just that affordability concerns price scaling and the market should not be shaped entirely by majoratative affordability concerns.

I will take your point that the majority of wealthier people are not going to be on an enthusiast internet forum - I was scratching my head about it though with people being in this game for decades and still not being able to divest themselves of the value proposition/bias/itch (or whatever you want to call it) that we had as students, even if they are no longer fiscally constrained in the hobby.

Last edited:
One of my clients has already shifted their intel stock after the downgrade

I'm waiting (not on Intel stock) for the uptick - looks like there is going to be a slide generally over the next couple of months or so but should be a good time for buying immediately after that... with a weather eye for which companies are gonna go to the wall with coming events like Brexit.

I will take your point that the majority of wealthier people are not going to be on an enthusiast internet forum

Sure in the general sense but I think people might be surprised just who does use these forums.

Yes we all get older, some of us wealthier and yes its much easier to just pay someone else to do it for you and more convenient.

Once Intel haven no supply issues in a few months time, prices will have more a sense of normality, so right now you either want it and pay the extra, you want it but can't afford or justify it or its the same old of people complaining about something they had no intention of ever purchasing anyway.

Those who want it will just buy it or wait a few months, or simply buy something else like 2700X, 1950X or even something like 8700K which we have in stock at £419.99, not cheap but at least in stock and cheaper than other UK shops.

But the issue in a few months,news of 7NM Zen and 10NM Intel CPUs will start to leak out,so unless you are the kind of person who buys a new CPU every generation,an 8C CPU for £600 is not going to look so hot any more. The fact is Intel dug its own hole and made its own bed,so it needs to lie in it. If they really cared,instead of loosing $3.5 billion on a pointless McAfee purchase they should be helping retailers out to keep prices lower,but they don't care either way.

One of my clients has already shifted their intel stock after the downgrade, if I had any I would be worried about it too given the growth of competition. I am not in anyway an intel fanboy if AMD brought out the same chip at the same price it would be down to the motherboards.

I entered into this discussion simply to highlight the real economic/purchasing phenomenon of acceptability of price acceleration during the retail transaction - that is when people are already committed to spend money 'topping up' that cost with extra services, upgrades etc. takes place in every market sector and is highly effective. Probably best examples are cars and hotels. But regardless my point was those that are already in the market to upgrade or replace their systems 1/2/300 quid may not be a large sum in this market niche.

I was trying to get across the very human emotion of "oh go on then" and this was interpreted as me being some kind of intel fanboy or hater of the poor.

The market bears what the market bears.

I will take your point that the majority of wealthier people are not going to be on an enthusiast internet forum - I was scratching my head about it though with people being in this game for decades and still not being able to divest themselve of the value proposition/vias/itch (or whatever you want to call it) that we had as students.

Because remember,most people on a tech forum are gamers or average computing folk,and if you look at all measurement metrics from Steam,JPR,Mercury Research,etc it shows you very few are at the top end of either.

Remember,the Intel price increase is not just another "top end CPU",its a consumer CPU with an IGP and in terms of the cost,it is the biggest increase in price for an Intel consumer socket CPU in years,and the Core i9 will eventually help push up the price of much cheaper CPUs.
This is NOT good,as it will only mean it will slowdown the adoption of newer CPUs,or lead to the average gamer just keeping the CPUs longer. If you look at phones this is what is happening,ie, now it seems the average lifespan has increased to nearly 3 years,meaning the companies to maintain margins push the price higher and it leads to people keeping them longer,so they up the price more. Its a vicious circle. If they had made bigger improvements and/or kept prices lower or consistent,more people will have upgraded quicker and longterm it probably would mean more stability.

This also affects development of consumer software - why bother pushing stuff to use more cores,etc when most of the market is still on old stuff?? If you are a dev you want to target maximum sales.

Also,as I indicated earlier if Intel was really in some major financial issue it might be something,but Intel has made so many poor decisions,and only their size and entranched nature has helped them and those decisions would have sunk many other companies. The $3.5 billion loss on McAfee and the billions of dollars in contra-revenue were funded from them milking smaller and smaller desktop/laptop chips for more and more money from consumers,and in the end they are a big enough company to know how to manage their own factories. Who asked them to push chipsets to 14NM when they knew 10NM was not ready for mass production of desktop CPUs?? Who asked them to make loads of modems for Apple when they knew there were issues with 10NM and not enough 14NM capacity?? Who asked them to shut down 14NM fabs?? They knew very well that die sizes were going up as they added moar cores to combat AMD.

Usually we have a facepalm at AMD not knowing what its right and left hands are doing,but there seems to be some serious issues for such an old company to screw up like this.

Last edited:
I can afford a 9900k but I’m not feeling it ...just like I can afford a 2080ti...but I’m not feeling that either...

My hobby used to be Overclocking and getting performance for free...flashing a 6950 gfx card to a 6970 and unlocking some pipes...clocking up chips that didn’t cost the earth...

Now we are just offered the same tech under a different name...how can one get excited about a RTX 2070 when it’s basically a 3 year old GTX 1080?

How can I get excited about a 2080 when it’s costs more and is the same speed as a 1080...how can I get excited about a 2080ti when it costs £1300 on offers a 35% if that boost over a 1080 ti....?

It’s dull...

How can I get excited over a £600 9900k when it’s only slightly faster than a 2700x

How can I get excited with an 8700k when I’ve been rocking a 6 core 12 thread Xeon for years in my recording studio?

How can I get excited any more ?

Spending money willy nilly on dull tech isn’t cutting it anymore..

So what I get 6 FPS more in certain games ? Who cares?

Guess what ? I see no gains at 4K and a 2080ti running a 9900k over a 2700x...it’s boring...

People posting oooooohhh my 9900k is stable at 5.1 ghz across all cores running Cinebench and yet don’t post prime runs anymore as they know their clock is delusion...

It’s boring

As someone who came from a 2600k @4.6 vs a 8080k at 5, the difference was massive. I had the luxury of getting my 2080ti right at launch so it was easier to test old vs new on the cpu side. My sim racing experience is a night and day difference running VR. For general PC usage, agreed, can’t tell a difference.

I am only using a amd r9 290 gpu and it was about maxed out with the 2600k so thats probably the reason I havent noticed much of a difference on the gaming front. But all the games I play runs smooth enough for me at the moment.

I wish people would stop going on about how "we were never going to buy it any way"

Typically the top end intel desktop consumer chip has hovered around £250 - £300 up until the 8700k released.

Now i'm not a big earner so I save what I can, when I can, and would typically save up over a few years to afford an upgrade. I would save up for the top end normally. Which, before AMD came out with Ryzen, would have been a top end intel chip, i.e. 6600k,7700k etc. Then suddenly, those prices jump from around £300 to £500-£600, that extra £200 isn't easy to come by for me, but apparently according to most on here I was "never going to buy that anyway", which is totally not true. If the release prices had stayed roughly the same, then yes I would have bought, the only thing stopping me was the massive (to me) price increase.

Reading around this and other forums i see a lot of people who say they were going to buy, eagerly waiting for it, it but are now not because of the price.

Reading around this and other forums i see a lot of people who say they were going to buy, eagerly waiting for it, it but are now not because of the price.

The 9900k was my upgrade...I’ve been waiting for it...partly out of boredom as I’m still using a 6700k...but the price has put me off somewhat..

I mean what will I actually be gaining in real terms? Not a lot tbh..I doubt I’ll notice any massive improvement in games...

So the moments passed for me...I’ll keep the current 6700k until 7nm Ryzen or 10nm intel

The problem is also that Intel are not just pushing the prices up at the high end, virtually the whole product stack has moved up two notches, the mid range i5 now costs £100 more than it did a year ago, and its the same CPU rebranded, its an 8600K renamed 9600K priced like the 8700K was just a year ago.

Its not just Intel, nVidia are doing exactly the same thing, the 2080 is a 1080TI in performance and cost.

Edit actually its worse, nVidia are just charging you last gen performance at the same price, Intel are charging you last gen for significantly more money.

The 9900k was my upgrade...I’ve been waiting for it...partly out of boredom as I’m still using a 6700k...but the price has put me off somewhat..

I mean what will I actually be gaining in real terms? Not a lot tbh..I doubt I’ll notice any massive improvement in games...

So the moments passed for me...I’ll keep the current 6700k until 7nm Ryzen or 10nm intel

No no no.....

you were never going to buy it anyway ;)

Having said that,I would also enjoy the "low" AMD prices for now. Since Intel has opened up the consumer sockets to £500 to £600 SKUs,it wouldn't surprise me one bit AMD will try to push a similar high end SKU next year. OTH,at least they will include a cooler!! :p

Having said that,I would also enjoy the "low" AMD prices for now. Since Intel has opened up the consumer sockets to £500 to £600 SKUs,it wouldn't surprise me one bit AMD will try to push a similar high end SKU next year. OTH,at least they will include a cooler!! :p

Exactly, i made this point earlier.

Right, AMD are also in it for the money, right now they are just trying to claw back market share. the problem is if Intel / nVidia are unwilling to compete with AMD on price and keep pushing theirs up AMD also use the room that provides to push their prices up.

Its irrelevant if you're buying Intel or not, it all has a knock on effect.

Back
Top Bottom