• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

OK, so I'm running a 8700K @4.9Gz on my Asus Strix Z370-E with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and use it for photo editing and can use the power of the extra two cores of the 9900K. However, the gains are going to be marginal.

Is there a next generation of 'drop in' CPUs that will run in the Z370 boards? I've been reading the intel roadmaps and they are a mess of confusion. Is the 9900K the peak of the CPUts for the Z370, or is there more to come?

OK, so I'm running a 8700K @4.9Gz on my Asus Strix Z370-E with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and use it for photo editing and can use the power of the extra two cores of the 9900K. However, the gains are going to be marginal.

Is there a next generation of 'drop in' CPUs that will run in the Z370 boards? I've been reading the intel roadmaps and they are a mess of confusion. Is the 9900K the peak of the CPUts for the Z370, or is there more to come?

Is it DxO??

If Intel fails to bring 10nm next year, might see another 14nm. Otherwise new socket will be required.

Wow this msi godlike board is horrific.

For this $600 board

only 6 sata ports
only 5 usb 3.1 ports at rear, no usb2, usb2 may seem backwards, but I have found not everything just works in 3.1, e.g. during OS install.
no display output at all on rear, not even displayport or hdmi the 2 most common.
no PLX chip

My circa $250 asrock board has more features than this board. Also funny is the VRM is extremely overkill, just taking advantage of the panic over 9900k.

Godlike is for LN2 OC pretty much and nothing else. No point getting it for normal use.

Though Der8auer did find that keeping the 9900K under 30C did allow a 5.6GHz OC so there's a pretty aggressive clock limiting temp curve going on there.

Wow this msi godlike board is horrific.

For this $600 board

only 6 sata ports
only 5 usb 3.1 ports at rear, no usb2, usb2 may seem backwards, but I have found not everything just works in 3.1, e.g. during OS install.
no display output at all on rear, not even displayport or hdmi the 2 most common.
no PLX chip

My circa $250 asrock board has more features than this board. Also funny is the VRM is extremely overkill, just taking advantage of the panic over 9900k.

Yeah. People call expensive the x399 boards, where the best ones are at around 300-400 mark. And provide so much more.

The 8086k is a shocking £480 now, I paid £380 for mine,

Yeah. People call expensive the x399 boards, where the best ones are at around 300-400 mark. And provide so much more.

I only spent £130 on my board and its doing me very well so far, with my cpu chugging along nicely at 4.9ghz

Last edited:
Reading around this and other forums i see a lot of people who say they were going to buy, eagerly waiting for it, it but are now not because of the price.
e.g me... I had it preordered the 9900k, then I thought wtf am I doing, and downgraded to a 8700k and even now I'm a bit meh over if it comes or not.. seriously pc components are just a joke these days. I still haven't decided whether or not to buy the 8700k (like everything else on backorder and no offence no way on earth I'm paying the prices from Overclockers) so I might just sit this one out till everything calms down and some deals come , if I have to wait 6/12 months I'm now happy to do it. My current setup runs everything at 1440p at full whack so no real need to upgrade.

edit literally just cancelled my order, so .. went from spending at least £1000 to £0

It's such a shame really that moores law seems to no longer be relevant - I kind of miss the days of doubling CPU power every year, it was exciting times, and I did tend to keep up with it.

To be honest I think thats a good thing, you could buy a cpu, and it really would be obsoleted on a performance level within 1-2 years, a doubling of cpu power every year would be very expensive for the consumer.

It's good for the consumer that CPUs are lasting longer, but it feels like we are on the cusp of another cpu race.

We have already seen what AMD competing on price and cores has done to the intel lineup (price gouging aside).

I think if AMD do well with 7nm, intel are going to have to respond with something new.

Here's hoping.

Using a razor blade on the die. :eek:

And the word "SODDER" is prevalent in this video.

If you think how high clocks on ryzen2 make it very inefficient, intel has the same problem with making 6 cores 8 cores, the power consumption been almost doubled in non OC state and temps going to a whole new level vs the 6 core chips. If you are like me and care about power usage and heat as well as performance this 9th gen is a very bad release, not even taking into account the price of the chips.

When the 2700X is crippled with sub par RAM. Only Joker used good RAM and suddenly his benchmarks are not good enough.....

What I said about PT also applies to joker, so basically I agree with you, his tests should not be discounted as rubbish simply because they "different", he simply did tests in a different way but its still a test.

It looks like he had intel at stock with no manual OC, that would also be a possible reason for the less favourable results intel side. But given intel's temps on this 9th gen, thats a bit more justified than testing 8th gen at stock.

Who buys a 9900k and a gtx 2080 then plays at 1080p resolution.

At 1440p the 9900k loses the tiny extra performance it has at an extortionate cost

I have never heard of resolution affecting cpu utilisation in games. Its the reason they use low resolutions to keep the gpu usage down and the cpu usage up.

Things like draw distance, visual affects, framerate can all affect cpu usage, but I have never heard of pixel count doing it.

If your talking the rainforest global store it was quite obvious and clear they totally screwed up, they said stock due 19th October, no that was the launch day and it was also intended as paper launch for retail 9900k, then 19th arrives and went straight to out of stock status and put the price up as Intel did not ship any retail box yet I believe anywhere in the world or an extreme small amount to US market.

Now all the people who ordered, no shipments made, no dates given, its obvious an error was made though no doubt a very much on purpose error, its obvious they never had any and are now trying to worm there way out by not giving any concrete ETA.
Plus even they now increased the price.

Proper price or not, 9900K won't be available for such prices for quite some time, even in tray format and in retail extremely unlikely in fact I am seeing some places now selling 9900k retail (not in stock) at £700 - £900, there not gonna get cheaper only more expensive.

OcUK is also one of the very few stockist if not only stockist as is our sister company Caseking, also has 9900K in stock too.

To give you an idea of how bad the 9900K Retail situation is, we are expecting 10-25 units next week, which shall be taken by pre-orders, that is crazy considering how many thousands we ordered months ago.

It seems to be fashionable now for these vendors, to launch a product and manufacturer after. Instead they should manufacture e.g. 1 million units and THEN launch. So all initial orders can be shipped on day of release, that is the proper way of doing things.

After reading the reviews I’ve cancelled my 9900K preorder and have placed an order for the 9700K. For the things I am interested in, the 9700K is the same or not far behind the 9900K, and temperatures are much more manageable for a smaller case. It is mostly rendering workloads in which the lack of hyperthreading is really noticeable; which is not something I do. The import price is £395 which currently makes it cheaper than the 8700K. The 9900K seems to have grabbed all the headlines and the 9700K seems to be getting overlooked somewhat. Seems to have good overclocking potential too:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/22

wow that data is damning, 16 threads is a step too far for intel.

9700k does indeed look like the better buy if you dont render or dont use VM's. Which is what I said last week. :)

The 9700k able to clock higher (so better performance in tasks bound by per core performance), circa 20C lower temps for same clocks and less power consumption, Cheaper as a bonus as well.

I get the impression Intel are looking at what nVidia did to AMD.

Make sure you have the fastest product and with that claim to be the Apple of your market sector and over charge massively because you are the premium brand.

That worked for nVidia but its becoming clear that will not work for Intel, i don't know why but i'm glad of that.

Nvidia are a LOT better than AMD thats why and pretty much in every metric. Intel are a bit better than AMD on processing performance, but now have worse thermal metric and possibly also worse power metric as well.

Back
Top Bottom