• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Associate
We don't have an official date yet but rumors are that Intel will launch their 9th Gen unlocked 8 Cores and 6 Core CPUs on the 1st October together with new Z390 motherboards.

Soldato
I had just about convinced myself that 2950x was the way to go, but as I'm playing at higher frame rates (3440*1440 100Hz) I'm seeing my 5960x throttle the GPU on single core performance at times. It tells me I need core speed over multi cores, which is Intel territory... But then I read all this and I'm back to the drawing board.

They've had long enough to sort this out, so if the 9900k is confirmed bug ridden too then I think I'm stuck for the time being :mad:

Soldato
I had just about convinced myself that 2950x was the way to go, but as I'm playing at higher frame rates (3440*1440 100Hz) I'm seeing my 5960x throttle the GPU on single core performance at times. It tells me I need core speed over multi cores, which is Intel territory... But then I read all this and I'm back to the drawing board.

They've had long enough to sort this out, so if the 9900k is confirmed bug ridden too then I think I'm stuck for the time being :mad:

5960X is affected also, and that one will never get patched. :mad:
The issues are ongoing since Core2 back in 2006.

Imho have you not considered upgrade to 6950X? Assuming you can find one at less than £400. Because with the ongoing price of the 1920X (£349) makes no sense the current pricing of the 6950X.

Soldato
So I assumed these crazy prices were retailer gouging.

But by now would Intel not have come out and said something publicly? If this wasn't RRP?

Intel won't sell the 9900K at the same price as the 8700K, and knowing that people will buy it, it will charge a premium for the i9 badge. So expect £500+
Look at the curent CPU lineup. When was the last time you checked the 7700K prices? Do they make sense to you?
Look at the Skylake-X CPUs. Still at extreme inflated prices over their competition.

Soldato
That would give me more cores, but I think it's clock speed I need. TBH, I'd go for the 2950x before the 6950x.
At 3440x1440 100hz you are fine with the current stronger CPUs. Even if that is a 2700X with PBO overclocking (automatic one) with GTX1080Ti.

There were some benchmarks with 5.1Ghz 8700K and at resolutions 3440x1440 & 4K there was absolute no difference between that and the 1700X let alone the 2700X.

Soldato
At 3440x1440 100hz you are fine with the current stronger CPUs. Even if that is a 2700X with PBO overclocking (automatic one) with GTX1080Ti.

There were some benchmarks with 5.1Ghz 8700K and at resolutions 3440x1440 & 4K there was absolute no difference between that and the 1700X let alone the 2700X.

I've seen a couple of games hammer the single core and hold the GPU back, not all games but there are a few that need the clock speed/IPC at higher FPS from what I can see.

Soldato
I've seen a couple of games hammer the single core and hold the GPU back, not all games but there are a few that need the clock speed/IPC at higher FPS from what I can see.

Is a range of factors. It depends the game, and when actually was the test. Outright any benchmark before MS fixed the scheduler (December 2017), is different today.
That is why you see much higher perf on Ryzen 2 benchmarks compared to Ryzen 1 from last year.

In addition the last game came out that exhibit the behaviour of crippling one thread, and never was patched, was Total War Warhammer 1.
And also Rome 2 & Attila but these are much older games. And the issue with those games are that the application is running at the last thread not core. If you force them to run on cores, the performance is improved even on Intel i7s. (had 4820K, 4930K and 6700K when I was playing those games).
Since then CA has fixed the engines on TWW2 and Thrones of Britannia.

Also another game is HOIIV when as Germany you have signed the Molotov - Ribbendrop treaty but start WW2 after Russia attacks Poland. Effectively having a full planetary war.
But that game cannot be saved even by my 8600K @ 5.2ghz which is crippled making the game unplayable if that happens.

Do you have a specific game in mind?

Associate
@String just wait for reviews and see how good the 9900K is in relevant games, most quality outlets like techreport, gamersnexus and anandtech will have the test systems patched with all of the security updates.

And if we're talking about Paradox games, my old 4.8Ghz 2600K was faster than the 3.8Ghz R7 1700 (aka less choppy at high game speeds) because the games mainly rely on 1 thread. Paradox grand strategies need single core performance.

Soldato
I've noticed it on Shadow of War and also Skyrim SE with ENB.
Skyrim came out in 2011, and is based on the Oblivion engine. Also ENB is a mod.
So yes understandable that decade old game will have issues.

Shadow of War is by far the best game, that isn't affected by core speed.
SoW.png

As @AndreiD said, some Clausewitz engine games have issues at maximum speeds, yet EUIV, CK2, Stellaris run fine at the 6700HQ @ 3.3Ghz at max speed (Stellaris not so well when you play in huge galaxy mid-late game, need to put speed to normal)

Also only 1 game of the whole lineup has issues, and that is HOI IV, but it has the issues because of how the air battle mechanics work.
It tries to simulate hundreds of thousands of air fights at any hour, based on a gazillion parameters for each.

If as Germany you wipe out Britain the game works fine after that, even if the war is raging across the remaining of the planet.
If you play any other nation than Germany, and WW2 is triggered again the game runs fine even on 3.3Ghz 6700HQ (laptop), but you cannot trigger the special conditions required to repeat the issue.

Back
Top Bottom