• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Even though a mainstream 8 core intel cpu at 5ghz is a very tempting proposition, for some reason I am not as excited about it as I thought I would be and find myself drawn to zen 2. At 7nm AMD should be able trounce all over the 9900k, at the very least being a little ahead.

If zen 2 ends up not living up to expectations then I think the next generation Intel CPU’s will be a better choice as by then at least they will have fixed all the problems from meltdown and specter in hardware. Not to mention they will they will finally move to 10nm. They have been stuck on 14nm for years...

Caporegime
Even though a mainstream 8 core intel cpu at 5ghz is a very tempting proposition, for some reason I am not as excited about it as I thought I would be and find myself drawn to zen 2. At 7nm AMD should be able trounce all over the 9900k, at the very least being a little ahead.

If zen 2 ends up not living up to expectations then I think the next generation Intel CPU’s will be a better choice as by then at least they will have fixed all the problems from meltdown and specter in hardware. Not to mention they will they will finally move to 10nm. They have been stuck on 14nm for years...

I was rocking a 6 core 12 thread Xeon at 4.2 ghz years ago...

I know what you mean

Associate
I'm not sure your going to want to any how, we just had a quote for a 9900K at over $580! That's about £525 with VAT for UK pricing. :eek:

And we all know that $580 will equal £580 UK too, i have said for a while that these chips will be £500-600 kinda hoping they would be to the bottom end of that scale, but it seems they will be at the higher end of the scale, i expect them to sit there for a while too.

Soldato
And we all know that $580 will equal £580 UK too, i have said for a while that these chips will be £500-600 kinda hoping they would be to the bottom end of that scale, but it seems they will be at the higher end of the scale, i expect them to sit there for a while too.

$:£ parity pricing is a thing of your imagination, see this link https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32145807

Associate
$:£ parity pricing is a thing of your imagination, see this link https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32145807

Oh come on, we have all seen it, where its priced at $500 US and sells for £485 here, thats almost a 1-1 exchange, you would have to be hiding under a rock not to have seen stuff on this site sold for almost the same price it would cost in $...

And i can guarantee i am not the only person to have seen and experienced this. Literally everyone knows that we pay almost the same price in £ that the US pay in $ for stuff, which is sad when you do the exchange rate and add on some shipping and tax, we are still paying over the odds.

Soldato
Oh come on, we have all seen it, where its priced at $500 US and sells for £485 here, thats almost a 1-1 exchange, you would have to be hiding under a rock not to have seen stuff on this site sold for almost the same price it would cost in $...

And i can guarantee i am not the only person to have seen and experienced this. Literally everyone knows that we pay almost the same price in £ that the US pay in $ for stuff, which is sad when you do the exchange rate and add on some shipping and tax, we are still paying over the odds.

Well if something is priced in $ as a suggested MSRP, and you have a low £:$ exchange rate, then you add VAT how much cheaper do you expect it to be?

As of now $100 is £76.06, add 20% VAT and it works out at £91.27, so unless you're going to some how alter the Forex rates we are not being over charged. I mean if you don't shop around and live on OCUK you might, but in reality it's just not happening.

Soldato
Well if something is priced in $ as a suggested MSRP, and you have a low £:$ exchange rate, then you add VAT how much cheaper do you expect it to be?

As of now $100 is £76.06, add 20% VAT and it works out at £91.27, so unless you're going to some how alter the Forex rates we are not being over charged. I mean if you don't shop around and live on OCUK you might, but in reality it's just not happening.

You're over-analysing. Nobody is talking about the intricacies of exchange rates, variable sales tax and MSRP. Quite simply, change the dollar symbol for a pound symbol and that's a sure as hell close estimate of what we'll end up paying.

It's a guide, an estimate, a reasonable chance. Not economics.

Soldato
we are not being over charged. I mean if you don't shop around and live on OCUK you might, but in reality it's just not happening.

HAHA!!!

Go and check the price conversion rate when the £ was closer to its long term average of £1=$1.55 and you'll see there was still a price differential of only 10-15% in UK/US pricing. UK prices have NEVER reflected the exchange rate when it comes to pricing, whether on OcUK or any other site.

Retailers in this country have ALWAYS used the exchange rate to price gouge the UK consumer, they're just not making as much as they used to doing it with the £ at $1.30, that's all.

Soldato
Go and check the price conversion rate when the £ was closer to its long term average of £1=$1.55 and you'll see there was still a price differential of only 10-15% in UK/US pricing.

So you want to look back at 2015 and before?

UK prices have NEVER reflected the exchange rate when it comes to pricing, whether on OcUK or any other site.

I provided a graph in the link 4 or 5 posts up showing historical pricing of the 8700K, on April 17th this year the £:$ ratio was at it's year high of $1.43:£1 on that day you could purchase an 8700K for £281, and it dropped down to £275 in May, now unless you are telling me that data is all imaginary, then I am pretty sure MSRP $370/1.43 then add VAT = £310 which is massively below the £:$ pricing, heck even OCUK were selling the 8700K for only £308.99 on 25th April.

Next time respond with some data, not just tosh.

Associate
HAHA!!!

Go and check the price conversion rate when the £ was closer to its long term average of £1=$1.55 and you'll see there was still a price differential of only 10-15% in UK/US pricing. UK prices have NEVER reflected the exchange rate when it comes to pricing, whether on OcUK or any other site.

Retailers in this country have ALWAYS used the exchange rate to price gouge the UK consumer, they're just not making as much as they used to doing it with the £ at $1.30, that's all.

+1 to this, worrying thing is, UK resellers could potentially use the tax that is coming in to the US on components as an excuse to bump UK prices even further! That tax should have little to no bearing on us really, not unless your importing from the US and that item originally came from China..

I saw a list recently and it affects a lot of components, would be good to see which components or manufacturers are going to get stung by this... but its another convenient excuse to gouge further for some.

Soldato
I believe that Gibbo once said that all purchasing was done in US$ hence the price on the shelf reflected the dollar exchange price at that time. Whether that indicates purchases are through a US entity, reseller or broker, I do not know, some probably are if the market supply is tight.

Soldato
I believe that Gibbo once said that all purchasing was done in US$ hence the price on the shelf reflected the dollar exchange price at that time. Whether that indicates purchases are through a US entity, reseller or broker, I do not know, some probably are if the market supply is tight.
its done in US $ as its easier that all purchases are done in 1 single currency from my understanding.

Back
Top Bottom