• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Associate
Lol i dont even think these will be MSRP at release given the current state of Intel stock..
notlikethis-589b631f9e506.png

Soldato
MSRP is a joke now, its merely there so when reviewers put performance per $ in their conclusion section it gets favourable ratings, like how on TR the 2080 beats the 1080ti for performance per $ based on 2080 MSRP.

Associate
MSRP is a joke now, its merely there so when reviewers put performance per $ in their conclusion section it gets favourable ratings, like how on TR the 2080 beats the 1080ti for performance per $ based on 2080 MSRP.

Yeah I agree, 'MSRP' is a con and reviewers need to cross check with actual pricing to form their review scores/conclusions of products. TechPowerUp is one of the worst using Nvidia's lies on price to put together their Performance per Dollar charts and conclusions. We need to see an end to this BS and call it out until something is done about it.

Soldato
The problem is they dont want to bite the hand that feeds them, so information provided by the vendor of the product they reviewing is treated like gospel.

Soldato
I was looking forward to getting a 9900k but if the price is over £400 I'll certainly stay away, keeping my current rig then going AMD. It's nice to be able to say "I'll go AMD" because you most certainly can these days.

Soldato
I was looking forward to getting a 9900k but if the price is over £400 I'll certainly stay away, keeping my current rig then going AMD. It's nice to be able to say "I'll go AMD" because you most certainly can these days.

Well it's going to be will over £500 let alone £400. If you want to go AMD now is a great time to buy, shopping around will get you an R7 1800X for <£150 ;)

Soldato
Well it's going to be will over £500 let alone £400. If you want to go AMD now is a great time to buy, shopping around will get you an R7 1800X for <£150 ;)
I'll just hold out until AMD release the next iteration, I have no idea how Intel will sell these for £500 considering even Threadripper doesn't cost that much! For gaming the 8700k is great, if you want productivity at over £500 you go Threadripper, unless you want the absolute best for gaming then this makes no sense. PC gaming is being killed by greed. G-Sync, RTX 2080ti, 9900k, we've always had top end but this top end is way to far.

Associate
I have been monitoring the cpu scene for a while now, when Ryzen announced i was all set to go with that, then ´life´ got in the way and i couldn´t upgrade. Now my i5-750 is starting to show it´s age and the 9000 series caught my interest. However at £400-500 and over they can do one, i picked up my i5 for £180 about 9 years ago. First gen Ryzen and a decent board sounds just the ticket.

Soldato
I have been monitoring the cpu scene for a while now, when Ryzen announced i was all set to go with that, then ´life´ got in the way and i couldn´t upgrade. Now my i5-750 is starting to show it´s age and the 9000 series caught my interest. However at £400-500 and over they can do one, i picked up my i5 for £180 about 9 years ago. First gen Ryzen and a decent board sounds just the ticket.

For everyone wanting to go Ryzen, especially those who are going on chips older than 5+ years, if you are the type of user that wants to get their monies worth, either a) wait for the 7nm refresh due next year, after all you have waited 5+ years, hang on a bit longer, or b) if you absolutely must change now, buy a 1st gen ryzen and a b350 board, you will probably change both once the 7nm stuff lands and rumors of the newer boards coming with PCIE4 etc.

I was tempted to swap out my 1700 and CH6 for a 2700X and a CH7 but it makes no sense this close to 7nm Ryzen, best to just sit tight and see what 7nm brings imho.

Soldato
For everyone wanting to go Ryzen, especially those who are going on chips older than 5+ years, if you are the type of user that wants to get their monies worth, either a) wait for the 7nm refresh due next year, after all you have waited 5+ years, hang on a bit longer, or b) if you absolutely must change now, buy a 1st gen ryzen and a b350 board, you will probably change both once the 7nm stuff lands and rumors of the newer boards coming with PCIE4 etc.

I was tempted to swap out my 1700 and CH6 for a 2700X and a CH7 but it makes no sense this close to 7nm Ryzen, best to just sit tight and see what 7nm brings imho.

Good advice. I would have done this if I hadn't fancied a play with TR and the HEDT platform.

Associate

Yeah to be honest it would be easier just to wait for Zen 2 and just be done with it. I think it could well be another 9 year job before i woukd need to upgrade again. 7nm seens pretty future proofed from what i have read. Shame really as if intel were a little better with their pricing i would go with them.

Back
Top Bottom