Corsair H50 Water Cooling Kit

Associate
I'm very interested in one of these to replace my Noctua on my i7 - what's the current thinking on the fans? I read that Corsair say the fan should draw air from outside the case hence making that rear fan an inlet... is this what people here would recommend or use a push/pull as an exhaust?

Associate
Just received email to say mine has shipped out, good news to hear!

Sadly I can't test until I get my new case and D0 920 as this case has a 120mm rear fan and i have no adapter for it.

Soldato
Push/Pull as an exhaust, in a well ventilated case.

I've just this second purchased the cooler. Should arrive on Thurs. I will be using it in a 902 case as push/pull with the air going out. Looking at the posts on here I have noticed there is a certain way the cooler should be positioned to allow for better cooling and lower temps...

I will give this a try and will report back. :D

Associate
has anyone experimented yet with fans in push/pull?

i know gaiden is using apaches @ 1300rpm and some others are using simular but was wondering if higher rpm fans would be better like 1900 or 2000rpm?

apparently the default corsair is being reported as not very good even tho its 1700rpm so wont be using that :)

i have spare fans lying around from previous builds...

2x 120mm xigmatek 1600rpm
2x 140mm 1200rpm with 120 convertors
a few(6) 120mm Nanoxia FX12 2000rpm fans all these are silent to me so which would be best? or is there another fan thats the king of the hill on air flow with rads?

in case you ask why i havent tried myself:) mines in the post still :(

regards

HRhino"

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

i know gaiden is using apaches @ 1300rpm and some others are using simular but was wondering if higher rpm fans would be better like 1900 or 2000rpm?

apparently the default corsair is being reported as not very good even tho its 1700rpm so wont be using that :)

a few(6) 120mm Nanoxia FX12 2000rpm fans all these are silent to me so which would be best? or is there another fan thats the king of the hill on air flow with rads?

regards

HRhino"

You don't need a powerful fans such as 1900/2000RPM. I am using apaches 2 x 1300RPM same as gaiden as well. Temperature is well below 67C full load but during heatwave (probably around up to 74C max) for the 4Ghz overclock.

2 x 1300RPM is very quiet indeed but apaches does a great job of CFM.

Associate
Could you tell me what a push/pull config means exactly?

Is it: two fans mounted either side of the rad, both inside the case, each one pointing so that airflow is directed out the rear of the case?

Thanks!

That is exactly what it is. You'll see that some i7 air coolers (like the Noctua) come with a pair of fans for just that reason although the benefit of a second fan on air coolers is qustionable, most reviews tend to suggest maybe a degree or two of temp drop with a second fan, so hardly worth the cost/effort - but to cool a rad... well that's still open to debate I guess, but several here are saying it seems best, especially if you are using them as an exhaust rather than Corsair's recommended which is to use as an inlet so you are pulling cool outside air over the rad and exhausting hot air inside the case - which seems totally bananas to me! ;)

Soldato
especially if you are using them as an exhaust rather than Corsair's recommended which is to use as an inlet so you are pulling cool outside air over the rad and exhausting hot air inside the case - which seems totally bananas to me! ;)

Well maybe they hired a monkey to tell them the best way the rad should be cooled during their office meeting :D

Soldato

regards

HRhino"

I used 2x scythe kaze juni 1900rpm fans before I got the Apaches, and the temps were about the same, but the noise was pretty loud. Because of the Rad you need fans with high static pressure, and the best ones around at the moment are the Apaches. High CFM fans with low static pressure will see the CFM drop dramatically when attached to a Rad.

Other fans to consider for a Rad are the Scythe Gentle Typhoon or S-Flex, Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe, Noctua NHU12P, Sharkoon Silent Eagle1000rpm, Fesier Treibwerk TFK-121. I expect some other people with have a few more suggestions.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi All, I just got one of the H50s, I'm using the stock fan, I haven't started on overclocking it yet, I've got the core i7 920 d0, Asus P6T, 6GB ddr3 ram, gtx 260 from OCUK, would it be worth me investing in a pair of better 120mm fans?

I'm also considering taking a hacksaw to the back of the case for the fan inlet, I never understood why case manufacturers thought it would be a good idea to put airflow restricting grills in, they should be made punch out style like drive bay slots are. I had to hacksaw the harddrive bay to get my gtx 260 in the box.

My case is a crappy Tigermax gamer case, bought from my dad for £20.

Associate
Hi All, I just got one of the H50s, I'm using the stock fan, I haven't started on overclocking it yet, I've got the core i7 920 d0, Asus P6T, 6GB ddr3 ram, gtx 260 from OCUK, would it be worth me investing in a pair of better 120mm fans?

I'm also considering taking a hacksaw to the back of the case for the fan inlet, I never understood why case manufacturers thought it would be a good idea to put airflow restricting grills in, they should be made punch out style like drive bay slots are. I had to hacksaw the harddrive bay to get my gtx 260 in the box.

My case is a crappy Tigermax gamer case, bought from my dad for £20.

If you are not OC'ing yet then you may as well start with the stock fan and see how temps look with that. As and when you decide to OC you might then want to beef up your fans to give better cooling - it will depend on a lot of things though, such as what the airflow inside your case is like and what the ambient temp is, so it's really a case of give it a try and see - but keep an eye on those temps!

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :)

Soldato
hi im about to fit my H50 later on tonight, i currently have the fenrir which uses a backplate will i have to install the corsair backplate? or will i get away with using what i already have on the back of mobo?

Soldato
hi im about to fit my H50 later on tonight, i currently have the fenrir which uses a backplate will i have to install the corsair backplate? or will i get away with using what i already have on the back of mobo?

You will have to fit the corsair backplate as its totally different.

Back
Top Bottom