Corsair RBG Owners Club

Associate
Ive come across a few posts concerning this but i wasnt sure if it was a wide spread issue or not?
cheers

We've seen reports here and there from different sources, but I wouldn't consider it to be an epidemic issue, as there are still K95 non RGB users out there that are very happy with their KB. The # of reports wasn't enough for us to consider the said issue to be wide spread. The percentage of those reports is minuscule in comparison to the amount of units we have sold over the years. However, smilertoo's post is also correct, we have a much lesser reports to almost non existent regarding dying LEDs with our RGB variant.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had the freezing issue again since one of the recent updates in the past month was launched. The issue is the keyboard still functions but all lighting stops, not killer but extremely annoying to have to kill the CUE process then restart it.

I had previously had quite a few months of uninterrupted operation before this.

Associate
It really is a shame, someones designed a really nice keyboard...then someone else lumbered it with a load of plop software.

This is the case with so many previous giants of the tech world, especially with smart TV, set top boxes and wifi connected kitchen utensils. Great built things with **** software. This keyboard is a bit different but my point still stands.

Also, another issue is my K95 RGB never works on the bios screen of my PC.

Soldato
Didn't Nvidia say that people vastly under estimate how much much $$$ they need to invest in the software development as well as the hardware.

Associate
Is the bios mode supposed to disable all key colour animation?

No, it shouldn't affect the color animation when you change the polling rate to BIOS. The animation will stop or flicker for a second, but it should resume animation/light profile afterwards.

I've had the freezing issue again since one of the recent updates in the past month was launched. The issue is the keyboard still functions but all lighting stops, not killer but extremely annoying to have to kill the CUE process then restart it.

I had previously had quite a few months of uninterrupted operation before this.

Also, another issue is my K95 RGB never works on the bios screen of my PC.

That light profile freezing shouldn't be happening at all when using CUE version 1.7 with KB Firmware 1.2. It's one of the bugs that was specifically addressed by that version. What profile are you using and where did download it?

Do you have the polling switch in BIOS mode?

Soldato
It's my own profile, various coloured keys with type lighting(key) that fades from white when i type. I am using 1.7.106 for CUE and 1.2 (0.11 bootloader) for BIOS. Bios mode keeps my coloured keys but the nice fade as i type effect is gone. When i enable bios mode i have a flashing light next to the audio on/off button

Associate
It's my own profile, various coloured keys with type lighting(key) that fades from white when i type. I am using 1.7.106 for CUE and 1.2 (0.11 bootloader) for BIOS. Bios mode keeps my coloured keys but the nice fade as i type effect is gone. When i enable bios mode i have a flashing light next to the audio on/off button

My fault, I should have added more details with my response earlier. But what I said earlier is correct, switching from one polling rate to another (including BIOS) will cause your light animation to flicker for a second then resumes... For some reason I thought your question was about the flicker while changing polling rate. I guess that's not what you're asking.

When you are in BIOS mode, the KB will function like a basic KB. Meaning, you lose a lot of its functionality, such as media keys, anti-ghosting, N-key rollover, macros, etc.. and that includes fading or type lighting effect. The main animation may not get affected in most cases when in BIOS mode, but it will surely affect most of the good stuff, the fact that KB will work like any other standard KB.

Associate
I am Firmware version 1.20, Cue version 1.7.106. I am not on bios mode at all, it was set to 1. It freezes everyday.

Alright, check your board's USB drivers and make sure you have the latest version, same with your BIOS.

Try different USB ports and see if the freezing will persist. Maybe use a different system just to make sure it's not system related. Light profile freezing should be a thing in the past, that shouldn't be happening anymore.

Associate
Just got my K70 RGB earlier today.
I've only started playing with it about 3hrs ago.

My first impression was, "ok cool, its much like my previously owned K95"
Then, turned on the switch on the wall socket, didn't turn the computer on yet. 30-45sec later, the kb started dancing with the rainbow/default lighting. So first impressions, "awmagad, it works!" then "why is it doing this, computer isnt on yet" -- 1st problem.

Then after researching, i eventually updated the FW to 1.20 via CUE, which supposedly this dancing lights on computer shut down should have been fixed on FW v1.15.
So i recreated the scenario upon finding the dancing lights to test out if its fixed with the FW update. And after 30-45sec, just like before FW update and to much disappointment, the dancing lights came on.

Again, after researching; "turn off ErP via APM in the BIOS". This is where i found the 2nd problem.
Went to the BIOS to try find this ErP setting and immediately i notice this lag when i press the right and down arrow keys. But also after pressing a couple of times(and waiting patiently for the press to actually register), it just freezes, no key presses are registered but my mouse for navigating still works. I tried every setting at the back of the keyboard with no success.

So now im annoyed that i couldnt find the ErP setting.
Now this is where i find the 3rd problem. I want to boot into Windows to research where the heck ErP setting is on my BIOS when i get stuck trying to get to Windows for 5minutes. Stuck on the POST screen(where its says hit Delete to enter BIOS) for about 1minute then the next 2 on a blank black screen and the last 2 on a black screen with the seeking status (the '_' blinking) then finally boots into Windows. Where i encounter another just a smaller hiccup/problem where the USB device apparently isnt recognised.

I tried recreating the boot delay/problem about 3 times and they were all in the region of 3-10minutes delay.
On the 4th try, wanted to see if its definitely the kb and not any of my HW so i unplugged the K70 and plugged in my £6 Argos kb and tried to boot. It did so in "normal" time; about 20-30sec.

Those are just 3/4 problems that i have encountered tonight, just so annoyed at this moment in time that i cba to find solutions, so im writing this post with my membrane argos kb haha

Are these problems known or is it just me?
Any known solutions?

Would love to keep this K70 RGB but if it persist or no solution at this point in time then, gonna have to be returned.

Associate
Are these problems known or is it just me?
Any known solutions?

Yes, we are well aware of this particular issue, but we found out that it's not really the KB that's causing the delay to boot, but more on how the BIOS on certain MB is communicating with the KB during POST. See post:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=137940

Long POST process in BIOS: This issue is actually related to how certain BIOS in a small group of motherboards have a difficult time communicating with the keyboard in POST. To be frank, the USB enumeration from the keyboard is too quick for some BIOS to properly receive and hence ends up hanging the BIOS for a prolonged (2-3 mins) at a time. This doesn’t affect all BIOS either but it is aggravating for those who experience it. The temporary workaround you can use is to toggle the button on top of the keyboard to change the polling rate from 1/2/4/8 to BIOS and then change it back afterwards. The long term solution is that we may implement some type of delay for the keyboard to be registered to bypass those systems that have this BIOS issue. We’re also working with some of the motherboard manufacturers to resolve it through a BIOS update too.

Every MB BIOS works differently, some are just more advance on handling powerful devices such as a mechanical KB, thus the outcome will vary from one board to another. Just a perfect example is your Argo KB where it worked right away as soon that your BIOS detects it upon powering up. All that being said, this particular issue shouldn't be happening anymore because the fix for that issue has already been included in CUE version 1.5 and later.

Best is to check your MB BIOS and make sure it is the latest version for that board. USB drivers as well, make sure they are up to date. Also, have you tried enabling "USB Legacy device" in your BIOS? see if that helps. If none of those seems to fix the issue, then please post the make and model of your MB - if we have the exact same board here, we'll try to replicate it ourselves.

Last edited:
Associate
Really tempted to get this keyboard to replace my dying Razor Lycosa Mirror (my darling daughter kicked a coffee into it lol)
What colour switches would you guys recommend for this keyboard?
Im leaning towards the Brown after spending a few hours researching and listening to peoples opinions.
I'll be using the pc for gaming and browsing, and my wife uses it for her online business and browsing so a good mixture between typing too.

Associate
Getting massive problems where certain keys either dont register when pushed or when it does register it will double letters. Absolute nightmare for passwords and stuff I have to retype at least 5 times to get it right.

Associate
Getting massive problems where certain keys either dont register when pushed or when it does register it will double letters. Absolute nightmare for passwords and stuff I have to retype at least 5 times to get it right.

Is that a new unit? Has that been the case ever since you've owned the KB? Is the repeat issue specific to certain keys? or is it any keys?

Try a different system and see if the issue follows. You want to make sure its not system related. I would also try and flash the FW using the CUE software and see if that will help.

Associate
Really tempted to get this keyboard to replace my dying Razor Lycosa Mirror (my darling daughter kicked a coffee into it lol)
What colour switches would you guys recommend for this keyboard?
Im leaning towards the Brown after spending a few hours researching and listening to peoples opinions.
I'll be using the pc for gaming and browsing, and my wife uses it for her online business and browsing so a good mixture between typing too.

I've the brown switches, so far I really like them. I do a good mix of both gaming and general computer use. I also had a Razer Lycosa previously :) The change has been grand for me, just takes a little while to get used to type as the keys on the K70 are 'slimmer' than the ones on the Lycosa.

Associate
I'm so close to making the purchase of the Corsair K70 RGB and M65 RGB.... Just slightly put off by some of the bad reports on this site.

I'm unsure if I should get it as cheap as possible and go second hand or buy it new and then if it breaks or becomes faulty I'm covered.

Also torn between Red or Brown switches possbibly Brown as I do very little gaming and loads of typing and photo editing the reason why I wanted the M65 as its meant to be so accurate and with the sniper button I believe I can slow the mouse movement down so it would make finer adjustments :)

Decisions decisions

Back
Top Bottom