Covers better than originals

Soldato
There Is A Light

Much prefer Ford's much darker more painful take on this song, the original just fails to deliver the emotion the lyrics deserve for me.

I've never heard that cover before but I sadly found it too irritating and over dramatic with it's start/stop kind of dynamics, and the guys voice also sounds a bit put on with a certain fashionable smokers rasp which wears thin towards the end. Prefer the relatively understated and lighthearted Smiths version - it's vibe actually has more of an emotional impact on me because it captures a certain beauty that piano version doesn't (for me) as it has a certain lazy cliche associated with it that I've heard in far too many Tori Amos covers to be fond of anymore, particuarly when trying to convey any emotional content. Plus the genius of the Smiths was always the dichotomy of Morriseys dark lyrics pitted against upbeat and well crafted jangly pop songs of Marr.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
love covers......hats off to the OP.

like the Kings of Leon Dancing on my own - thanks for suggestion..Robyn's version in my top 1000 playlist.

I guess people are aware of live lounge radio 1 as a source of more modern covers?

Surprised a few prefer scissor sisters comfortably numb better, but their tempo/feeling is so different..

Junip's & RATM Cover of Bruce Springsteen's The Ghost of Tom Joad (Also Bruce's duet with Tom Morello on Rock & Roll hall of fame 25th Anniversary...trumps them both)

Mates of State Cover of Tom Waits "Long Way Home" bit like covers of bob dylan...put a female voice on it and its hard not to find it much more accessible...Mates of State did an album of covers called Crushes...check it out..its good.

DJ Sammys cover of Don Henleys "Boys of Summer"

Alison Moyet's cover of Ewan MacColl/Peggy Seeger "First Time I Ever Saw Your Face"

Melanie Safka's Cover of The Rolling Stones - Ruby Tuesday

Jimmy Sommervilles & Nina Simones cover of The BeeGees "to love somebody"

Placebo cover of Robert Palmer's "Johnny & Mary"..think their cover of running up that hill is excellent too.

First Aid Kit's Cover of REM's "Walk Unafraid" is my latest favourite cover.

how do you embed youtube, if i knew id post some links

Associate
johnny cash's cover of hurt as mentioned, is the poster child for improved covers..

Florence + the machine's 'Halo' blows Beyonces out the water...another one from the live lounge..

Associate
How many times? I agree with you. The thread is about songs better than the original, not songs that you like. I'm no fan of the scissor sisters, it's just that their version is much better than the PF song.

how are you assessing 'better'....objective criteria? personal preference?

Back
Top Bottom