COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

What strains do the jabs going into peoples arms at the moment protect against?

In Europe, BA.1. However, that in theory should provide protection for most of the Omicron subvariants much like the original Wuhan strain still provided immunity to Alpha and Delta subvariants.

People infected with BA.1 on a population level had about 80% immunity to BA.5, for example.

Last edited:
I'm triple jabbed, have been all over the place on planes and still managed to not get it, unless I just haven't shown any symptoms..
This was me until Wednesday evening. Felt a bit off at work after lunchtime and someone else was off with it so I did a test just to check - faintest of lines and then on came the chills, sweats and aching that night. Did another test the day after and the strongest red line appeared almost immediately.

Tired and cold and flu symptoms now - though I've heard loss of taste and smell can come later which I'm hoping I don't get.

That was my experience with just solely the Moderna booster. Cold shivers/fever overnight, which became a skull thumping headache that was taken care of by paracetamol for the day after.

However, weirdly enough, it did give me covid symptoms for a couple of days after. Had a bit of a sore throat, upper tickly cough (very infrequent), and my sinuses felt off.

Tested with LFTs but came up negative throughout, so I just put it down to the jab. I wore an FFP2 to the vaccine place so I doubt I picked anything up there.

I had the Moderna Spikevax booster (my 4th Covid jab) and aside from the injection area being sore for a few days I didn't get any other symptoms. Also had a flu jab on a different day and didn't even get a sore arm from that.

Tell you what, having Covid is no fun! Avoided it since it all came about and been struck down with it the past few days... No idea where I've even caught it.

Loads of people are getting it, it's not big news anymore, but I reckon it's the most widespread it's ever been. First few "waves" didn't know anyone who got it, friends of friends maybe, now I know quite a few, included myself last week.

Loads of people are getting it, it's not big news anymore, but I reckon it's the most widespread it's ever been. First few "waves" didn't know anyone who got it, friends of friends maybe, now I know quite a few, included myself last week.

Current wave has peaked and new one not expected until January.

You don't hear about it because for the majority its nothing more than a bad cold.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but those figures are ********.

How many people actually report their tests?

Both the Mrs and I never bothered, in laws never bothered, didn't report the kids.

Doesn't Zoe Study Covid data come from their pool of volunteer testers from the last ~2.5 years?

Reporting or even testing by the wider population is certainly expected to be poor, lowering the official governemnt/ONS figures.

Last edited:

Both the Mrs and I never bothered, in laws never bothered, didn't report the kids.

Daily cases are based on test results, why are they ********?

The total I believe is an estimate so can be taken with a pinch of salt, but I am more interested in the daily figures which are currently high.

I never reported having Covid in July. Only times my results (all negative) were recorded was when I went to a test centre when they were open

Zoe health study and ONS testing are the two more accurate measurements of covid cases. The NHS data for cases isn't going to be accurate due to the low levels of testing so best going by hospitalisations instead for that as a guide of how prevalent covid is.

More info below although I'm sure the same one or two posters keep replying without a clue and don't realise how there are different ways of testing and modelling this data.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom