COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Has it disappeared like, is it no longer a threat?

Yet to see what kind of shape it will take as we go into the season where these kind of diseases go around the most but personally I think at least as far as existing variants go the vast majority of those in this country most vulnerable to the virus are either dead or recovered with some immunity at least for now. I'm not sure what the exact percentages are currently but around 60% of those admitted to hospital are with COVID rather than because of COVID, compared to earlier in the pandemic where about 80% were because of COVID.

EDIT: I think that risks trivialising it a bit though - the disease can still have a huge impact and potential long term health implications on people compared to stuff like colds and flu - serious lung inflammation for instance, even without other potential long COVID complications, can significantly elevate your risk of developing lung cancer in later life.

What does concern me a little though is we've seen a trend with this virus that once it hits a certain point of bottleneck or what should be a dead end instead of dying off a new variant emerges which continues the work it wasn't able to do before.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My Nephew teaches in Shenzhen, they've only just come out of a lockdown and now back into another one.
Bloody hell. That zero-covid policy is scary as hell from what we see on the news, but it must be horrendous on the ground in real life. Was in 2nd day of induction at Sodexo's D-Block today, all day was concerning infectious diseases and infection measures. Unsurprisingly Covid played a large part, will have to go through FPP3 training soon too.

Bloody hell. That zero-covid policy is scary as hell from what we see on the news, but it must be horrendous on the ground in real life. Was in 2nd day of induction at Sodexo's D-Block today, all day was concerning infectious diseases and infection measures. Unsurprisingly Covid played a large part, will have to go through FPP3 training soon too.

I was in the opposite building today and tomorrow (A Block).
In fact Infection Control are in there.+

Actually not sure how to read his post, his compound has been lockdown because of one confirmed case or the whole of Shenzhen!!

Andrew

Confirmed case in my old compound (where nearly all the teachers at my school live). Net result, back to online learning
1f92f.png
‍♂️

Last edited:
My Nephew teaches in Shenzhen, they've only just come out of a lockdown and now back into another one.

Exactly the same as me. There's so much relief when we get out of lockdown, and then suddenly back in one again with no warning. We are not allowed out of our apartments, except to go outside for our daily covid test at 06:30. No idea how long this lockdown will last, but at least I'm stocked up with food.

Exactly the same as me. There's so much relief when we get out of lockdown, and then suddenly back in one again with no warning. We are not allowed out of our apartments, except to go outside for our daily covid test at 06:30. No idea how long this lockdown will last, but at least I'm stocked up with food.
What happens around work and pay when this happens? Do the Chinese govt provide any support?

What’s going on with excess deaths at the moment? Non-covid deaths are exceeding what we saw during covid times

One thing which will be feeding death numbers unfortunately for some time to come is cancer deaths due to people who didn't get timely diagnostic during the main part of the pandemic and/or interrupted treatment and/or their health impacted by having COVID worsening their prognoses with existing cancer. There was no way really to avoid this short of to some extent by chucking large amounts of money at the problem.

I've seen an up-tick with colleagues and other acquaintances of cardiovascular problems around 2021 and early 2022 but it seems to have settled down a bit now and most are improving/back to normal - not really sure what to attribute it to or it if even has one root cause. I know 2 cases were linked to COVID but others I have no idea (a likely one in some cases is people not getting their normal exercise in, etc. for long periods over the lockdowns).

Last edited:
Its the vaccine isn't it...killing people who took it silly.

For somebody who works in a Legal Department at a hospital we haven't had one accusation of this myth.
I really can't believe there are people like you who still exist.

Mind you last night on CH5 was a series called Cause Of Death which shows some of the work we do.
Bloke ends up dying and needs a Post Mortem and he's found to have Covid.
They find out he is massively scared of getting Covid but he's believed all the nonsense you are spouting and won't have vaccines so instead buys all his Covid treatment from India :)
It just so happens that the medication or the Covid he was admitted with didn't cause his death, he had really bad Broncho-Pneumonia which also puts paid to the myth they put Covid on any death certificate.

Last edited:
For somebody who works in a Legal Department at a hospital we haven't had one accusation of this myth.
I really can't believe there are people like you who still exist.

Mind you last night on CH5 was a series called Cause Of Death which shows some of the work we do.
Bloke ends up dying and needs a Post Mortem and he's found to have Covid.
They find out he is massively scared of getting Covid but he's believed all the nonsense you are spouting and won't have vaccines so instead buys all his Covid treatment from India :)
It just so happens that the medication or the Covid he was admitted with didn't cause his death, he had really bad Broncho-Pneumonia which also puts paid to the myth they put Covid on any death certificate.
haha it was a joke. :cry:
I was mocking the source video of 'Dr' Campbell a well known covid hack/conspiracy theorist, who realised that he could make A LOT of money going from sensible Dr to dragging up any non peer-reviewed journal to feed his rabid anti-vax audience.

Last edited:
haha it was a joke. :cry:
I was mocking the source video of 'Dr' Campbell a well known covid hack/conspiracy theorist, who realised that he could make A LOT of money going from sensible Dr to dragging up any non peer-reviewed journal to feed his rabid anti-vax audience.
:confused: I certainly wouldn’t put him in the antivax camp. He has been pretty pro vaccine throughout the pandemic.

Back
Top Bottom