COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Associate
What concerns me just as much is why is China still persisting with zero covid policy?

If Covid was gain of function lab leak from Wuhan (I know can’t prove that and we probably never will 100%) but the Chinese government would know more than any other country about covid.

What do they know what no-one else does?

The truth is out there (cue x-files music!)
Kind of agree... to a point. It's a really strange place, went to China for 3weeks on holiday about 6 years ago and felt incredibly safe. Loads of their city security would be great over here like every time you get on the underground you have to put your stuff through a scanner like at an airport and all liquids get checked. Because it's the norm there it was so easy.

Man of Honour
What concerns me just as much is why is China still persisting with zero covid policy?

If Covid was gain of function lab leak from Wuhan (I know can’t prove that and we probably never will 100%) but the Chinese government would know more than any other country about covid.

What do they know what no-one else does?

The truth is out there (cue x-files music!)

I do wonder if it is partly still a reaction to the more serious of the 2 variants present early on in Wuhan, which has since become virtually extinct losing out to the other variant. It seems an often overlooked factor for some reason but it was responsible for triggering a lot of the early response to the pandemic.

Soldato
From how daily cases are reported here, a very high number of cases are asymptomatic. I think the fear of the virus has just been kept the same, despite the virus changing quite a lot.
I've still to meet someone who's had it in Chengdu, so I'd imagine that doesn't help. Fear of the unknown almost.

Associate
No conspiracy, it actually pretty simple, not enough of the population, especially over 60s have had 3 shots, which according to studies 3x shots of the China vac gives 97% effectiveness. China's health system simply cannot cope if they removed lockdowns, millions would die, the health system would collapse it no time and would be a complete disaster. Less than 70% of over 60s have more than 2 shots and that was years ago.

The solution would be to mass vac the entire population on a very regular basis or use the Western ones (which they will never do) but I'm assuming the logistics are very difficult and costly because if they could they surely would as their current approach is a horrible existence.

Soldato
I've not actually had a third shot yet. Had it booked for Summer but Covid hit, and we were locked down.
Since then, I've not really thought about it.

They already mass-test for virus, so feel like it wouldn't be much more of a reach to have mass-vax done.

Soldato
I've not actually had a third shot yet. Had it booked for Summer but Covid hit, and we were locked down.
Since then, I've not really thought about it.

They already mass-test for virus, so feel like it wouldn't be much more of a reach to have mass-vax done.
Yeah they could easily do a jab in the time it takes to do a test. The government are going to have to do something because the current situation doesn't seem sustainable.

Soldato
At the start of Covid, can you get symptoms without testing positive?
Yes you could. Know several people, friends, family and colleagues who had the general symptoms - cough, tired, breathing issues - negative. Yet when it was drive thru tests only - the whole household went into a car and those showing no symptoms were positive and still didn't show up any symptoms a week later.

Man of Honour
At the start of Covid, can you get symptoms without testing positive?

The rapid tests are only about 70% accurate for a negative IIRC but close to 100% for a positive result - you might need to test more than once over a day or two to confirm for sure if it is COVID - or have a PCR test.

Soldato
Urgh. Week 3 of not being able to taste food properly after having a cold a while back. Things are getting to me now and I’m tiring of eating Korean pot noodles everyday.

Think I’ll call my GP this week.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like even just having 8 and 7 somewhere in your username is as bad as having 87 in it :D

I dont get it hehe.

All i put was my experience and my belief and forums these days are only place i can put my thoughts down but cant do that now even without fear of been banned. Any way better stay on topic now dont want to go off topic too much sorry i bought it up but really feeling it today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom