• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cyberpunk 2077 Ultra performance

OK, something really strange when using DLSS set to Ultra Performance. Although the FPS goes up slightly, the GPU usage drops to around 75% and the CPU usage hovers around 50%
So why doesnt the GPU usage stay at max to pump more frames? Esp as the CPU isnt saturated?
See the video.

I wonder if GSync has anything to do with this?

if you apply smt fix, you will see an increase in performance though around %15-18

that is what we call bottleneck, some of the cores are maxed out or near max out and limit the overall performance

as you can see, lower cpus drop to 35s-40s, so 5800x upper ceiling in that area seems to be 60s-70s, that's still good

if you can apply smt fix, im certain that it wont drop below 60, at all

Wasnt the smt fix included in one of the previous patches?
it is only applied for 4 core and 6 core cpus

it's clear that game only uses half the threads you have, because cpu usage seem to be capped at %45-50. this is exactly how game acts when i don't apply smt fix for 2700x, once i apply it, cpu usage can go up to %85-90 and will usually average %75-80 usage with %15-18 increased framerate

for some reason cdpr still seem to think it's not effective, but my findings and benchmarks clearly show they are effective. either they have a reason that it may crash (as i said before, i played 80 hours, with smt fix and no crash, no instability) or they simply didn't care

if the game really didn't benefit from 16 threads, hyperthreading would be disabled for 8+ core intel chips

https://youtu.be/LBeb9qPufHE?t=106

(5 ghz 9900k seem to drop frames harder than you, which is again, a testament to amd's architecture brilliance in zen 3. clearly those low inter-core latencies come into play in this game)

i must add, the majority of cpu benchmarks out in the wild is done without ray tracing. without ray tracing, smt on/off does not matter. it's the ray tracing that creates more thread load. nvidia's driver seem to love offloading bhv structure related loads to extra threads available. this is the part people does not seem to get/understand

it is only applied for 4 core and 6 core cpus

it's clear that game only uses half the threads you have, because cpu usage seem to be capped at %45-50. this is exactly how game acts when i don't apply smt fix for 2700x, once i apply it, cpu usage can go up to %85-90 and will usually average %75-80 usage with %15-18 increased framerate

for some reason cdpr still seem to think it's not effective, but my findings and benchmarks clearly show they are effective. either they have a reason that it may crash (as i said before, i played 80 hours, with smt fix and no crash, no instability) or they simply didn't care

if the game really didn't benefit from 16 threads, hyperthreading would be disabled for 8+ core intel chips

https://youtu.be/LBeb9qPufHE?t=106

(5 ghz 9900k seem to drop frames harder than you, which is again, a testament to amd's architecture brilliance in zen 3. clearly those low inter-core latencies come into play in this game)

i must add, the majority of cpu benchmarks out in the wild is done without ray tracing. without ray tracing, smt on/off does not matter. it's the ray tracing that creates more thread load. nvidia's driver seem to love offloading bhv structure related loads to extra threads available. this is the part people does not seem to get/understand
Ok you convinced me now with the smt fix. I did try it ages ago can’t remember what version of the game it was and it made no difference.
Like above my cpu is used no more than 60% but if your 2700X is reaching up to 90% usage and it has the same amount of threads then clearly it’s working. That and some memory tweaking might actually get me to maxing out my gpu without upgrading to 5800X.

Right, obviously I've too much time on my hands :D
I've turned on the OSD in afterburner to show all 8/16 cores/threads.
Ran the Ultra Performance run thru again, and yes quite a few cores looked like they were being under used. So after a google I've now applied the smt 'fix' and now all the cores seem to be used to quite a high degree. Performance hasnt gone up that much, and the gpu isnt maxed out either. Still great performance, even though its settings I'm not likely to use. :p

come on, it was dropping to 55-56 and now it doesn't even drop below 65

that's a huge increase tbh :eek: after all smt is not a magical thing that doubles the cores, it just allows every single core to be more efficient at what they do

Lol 3060ti faster than 6900xt with RT on even WITHOUT DLSS.

3090 almost double perf compared to 6900xt ALSO WITHOUT DLSS.

Amds cards are worse than initially thought. Wonder where ‘ECE’ and the likes disappeared off to lately. Guess he figured there was no way to turn this into a positive anymore.

This is kinda worrying for RT in general though. Considering PC Gpu market is currently non existant due to crypto and 3x MSRP prices. Consoles will clearly not push RT properly and neither will PC thanks to Amd’s non existant competition regarding the tech. And some people still have hope for their ‘DLSS’ like solution. It’s all bad news...

Lol 3060ti faster than 6900xt with RT on even WITHOUT DLSS.

3090 almost double perf compared to 6900xt ALSO WITHOUT DLSS.

Amds cards are worse than initially thought. Wonder where ‘ECE’ and the likes disappeared off to lately. Guess he figured there was no way to turn this into a positive anymore.

This is kinda worrying for RT in general though. Considering PC Gpu market is currently non existant due to crypto and 3x MSRP prices. Consoles will clearly not push RT properly and neither will PC thanks to Amd’s non existant competition regarding the tech. And some people still have hope for their ‘DLSS’ like solution. It’s all bad news...

Their 3070 numbers seem a bit low (well all 3000 series really) though I've not tried the latest patch - they match the numbers I get when the game starts to encounter performance issues after ~2 hours of playing - though for some reason that seems to be the normal level of performance for some people.

See my post here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34382802

I can happily play at 1440p, ultra RT DLSS quality at ~60FPS (usually around 57-59) for about 2 hours then the game takes a dump and runs around 45FPS (like their numbers) until I save and reload.

(EDIT: I do have chromatic aberration and film grain disabled but everything else is on ultra).

Applied the smt fix (which was surprisingly easy) and cpu usage went up from 40-60% to 70-90% and with that gained some fps. Still bottelenecked but not as much.
Next is memory tuning but that requires a lot of patience which I dont think I have.

Applied the smt fix (which was surprisingly easy) and cpu usage went up from 40-60% to 70-90% and with that gained some fps. Still bottelenecked but not as much.
Next is memory tuning but that requires a lot of patience which I dont think I have.
It’s a shame I don’t have MM; OCUK delivered my 5900X so I have a 5800X I’d let go cheaply there. I’ll just have to do another upgrade or two later this year :)

But glad the SMT fix helped. It does sound like a possible driver/game issue though. Did you try that fix I posted?

It’s a shame I don’t have MM; OCUK delivered my 5900X so I have a 5800X I’d let go cheaply there. I’ll just have to do another upgrade or two later this year :)

But glad the SMT fix helped. It does sound like a possible driver/game issue though. Did you try that fix I posted?

I haven't tried that yet no but fighting with memory timings atm and as expected following dram calculator is giving me no post.
I either have crappy mobo, cpu or ram....

I haven't tried that yet no but fighting with memory timings atm and as expected following dram calculator is giving me no post.
I either have crappy mobo, cpu or ram....
Yeah I’ve had some memory issues with Zen 3. It’s probably the CPU memory controller, but that’s dead reckoning.

Ok it looks like my stupid msi motherboard bios is using a mix of decimal and hexadecimal numbers so it seems I was doing it all wrong.
Converting from one to another is not a problem but knowing which one is which is.
Who came up with this stuff..? :mad:

edit: turns out its all hexadecimal but some options will not let me enter stuff like 2C and only accept two digit numbers.
This is ridiculous..
Thanks MSI will never buy your crap again.......

Any recommendations on decent value mobo with good bios.?

Last edited:
Ok it looks like my stupid msi motherboard bios is using a mix of decimal and hexadecimal numbers so it seems I was doing it all wrong.
Converting from one to another is not a problem but knowing which one is which is.
Who came up with this stuff..? :mad:

edit: turns out its all hexadecimal but some options will not let me enter stuff like 2C and only accept two digit numbers.
This is ridiculous..
Thanks MSI will never buy your crap again.......

Any recommendations on decent value mobo with good bios.?

which values are you trying to enter=? i myself have a msi b450 and never had trouble setting up the values

which values are you trying to enter=? i myself have a msi b450 and never had trouble setting up the values
For example tRC = 44 in hexadecimal that’s 2C but it won’t let me input that and only accepts two digits numbers.
Is yours in hexadecimals as well.?

For example tRC = 44 in hexadecimal that’s 2C but it won’t let me input that and only accepts two digits numbers.
Is yours in hexadecimals as well.?

that 44 value is not hexadecimal though? you type that directly to the tRC. for example, i entered tRC 54 for my kits and it works

it is supposed to be a number, not hexadecimal value

by the way, too few tRC might lead to no-boots. i would advise you to start at tRC 50-52 or something if you're pushing high ram clocks but samsung can do very low tRC and tRC greatly increases performance so..

that 44 value is not hexadecimal though? you type that directly to the tRC. for example, i entered tRC 54 for my kits and it works

it is supposed to be a number, not hexadecimal value

by the way, too few tRC might lead to no-boots. i would advise you to start at tRC 50-52 or something if you're pushing high ram clocks but samsung can do very low tRC and tRC greatly increases performance so..

I don’t know man it’s all very confusing. How am I supposed to know which ones are and which aren’t.?

none of them are hexidecimal, you can be sure about that :eek:

3-E043416-9493-4-FEA-8-FAC-C88565-FCE332.jpg

No issues here using MSI motherboard and the settings given by dram calculator with my 8 pack. I took a photo with the mobile and then just filled in as many fields I could find in BIOS. I'm only recalling this from memory but I don't think I went with the extreme settings, just the fast ones. Been stable from the word go. :)

Back
Top Bottom