• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cyberpunk 2077 Ultra performance

Yup pretty pointless for AMD, weak ray tracing performance and no DLSS competitor makes ray tracing a no go for amd unless at 1080P or happy with 30 fps lock @1440p. The static fidelity CAS does help bring fps up a bit more but you don't really want to be dropping below 80% at most. Have also read amd users are having crashing with ray tracing on.

Shame as when you are in certain areas, ray tracing is noticeably better and truly outstanding.

Managed to get a lot more testing in before the inevitable crash. Basically with a 6800 you can do 1080p 30fps locked with RT light med and the rest on. I'm definitely bottlenecking somewhere though as 60 fps with RT maxed is impossible even at stupidly low resolutions like 360p. The card seems more suited to using a single RT effect, in which case I see more appropriate power requirements from the GPU as expected. Reflections hit the hardest, but there's a bit more variance with RT lighting where there's big dips from time to time depending on the light sources you find.

RT vs rasterisation, I've seen it basically be where RT fps = 30% of raster. So 60 fps raster = 20 fps RT, but it's much hardware to climb up with RT as well, due to increasing CPU & memory requirements.

Finally they also nerfed the game visually in some ways, mainly texture loading distance related, which is exactly backwards to what they should've done. Alas.

Shame as when you are in certain areas, ray tracing is noticeably better and truly outstanding.

It really is. I run it at a mixture of high/ultra @ 1440p on a G-Sync monitor and generally get 40-50fps in the busiest areas of the city, it shows 63 fps in the screenshot but that's just staring into space. I've only put the image up to show what it looks like. Ray tracing settings are lighting at ultra, reflections enabled and ray traced shadows disabled and DLSS set to balanced. I notice the DLSS a lot in the screenshot but don't seem to as much while actually playing the game, the screenshot also blows up to much bigger than reality here when you click it. I think in the absence of a 30 series card, that's the best compromise for me as I notice the other two effects far more than shadows and the non-ray shadows still look fantastic, the game as a whole still looks amazing and the G-Sync helps it run acceptably at 40-50fps. The game looks amazing while being pretty average, but I still like roaming round Night City just exploring it.

And that on a 2080, Watch Dogs Legion is another that looks amazing with ray tracing and I can run that very acceptably too. G-Sync/Freesync are worth their weight in gold.

nm1MoSc.jpg

Reverted to an older driver now, think that's more what's causing the crashes than the game itself, because it also messed up my mining setup. Stupid AMD.

Finally they also nerfed the game visually in some ways, mainly texture loading distance related, which is exactly backwards to what they should've done. Alas.
It was noticeable to begin with, nerfed in 1.1 and now again in 1.2. "Memory Optimisations"

It really is. I run it at a mixture of high/ultra @ 1440p on a G-Sync monitor and generally get 40-50fps in the busiest areas of the city, it shows 63 fps in the screenshot but that's just staring into space. I've only put the image up to show what it looks like. Ray tracing settings are lighting at ultra, reflections enabled and ray traced shadows disabled and DLSS set to balanced. I notice the DLSS a lot in the screenshot but don't seem to as much while actually playing the game, the screenshot also blows up to much bigger than reality here when you click it. I think in the absence of a 30 series card, that's the best compromise for me as I notice the other two effects far more than shadows and the non-ray shadows still look fantastic, the game as a whole still looks amazing and the G-Sync helps it run acceptably at 40-50fps. The game looks amazing while being pretty average, but I still like roaming round Night City just exploring it.

And that on a 2080, Watch Dogs Legion is another that looks amazing with ray tracing and I can run that very acceptably too. G-Sync/Freesync are worth their weight in gold.

nm1MoSc.jpg
freesync for me = making every frames per second between 40-60 perfectly playable

it is literally the one of the most important features in PC that i will never be able to get in consoles. it's pretty much 60 or 30 in consoles, and in between valeus are never seen as important, despite the VRR implementations in new consoles

the era where locked 60 is no more for me, since we don't need to deal with 30 fps/60 hz or 60 fps/60 hz limitation of Vsync. With my 144 hz monitor, i can casually lock FPS to 42 and freesync would make the monitor work at 84 hz, practically making a perfect sync combo. Or just let it run free and enjoy every frame you can get... it's a crazy tech and i'm honestly baffled that it's not given importance it deserves

i guess everyone is so quick to jump to new cpus/gpus lol . that chase can and will never end, sadly

Managed to get a lot more testing in before the inevitable crash. Basically with a 6800 you can do 1080p 30fps locked with RT light med and the rest on. I'm definitely bottlenecking somewhere though as 60 fps with RT maxed is impossible even at stupidly low resolutions like 360p. The card seems more suited to using a single RT effect, in which case I see more appropriate power requirements from the GPU as expected. Reflections hit the hardest, but there's a bit more variance with RT lighting where there's big dips from time to time depending on the light sources you find.

RT vs rasterisation, I've seen it basically be where RT fps = 30% of raster. So 60 fps raster = 20 fps RT, but it's much hardware to climb up with RT as well, due to increasing CPU & memory requirements.

If there is a bottleneck it can be several things. Ray Tracing requires more CPU resources than Rasterization. Ray Tracing also requires more memory bandwidth than rasterization, so fast VRAM is key.

And lastly, the GPU processor itself can be a bottleneck - we know from other games that RX6000 seems to struggle a bit with non shadow Ray Tracing in general, but also the ray tracing architecture on RX6000 looks more like a monolithic design - requests are processed by the GPU 1 at a time, for example, bound 1 ray on this pixel, then 1 ray on this pixel, then this pixel, then compute shadows, then compute reflections etc then send to renderer - So if you think of a single 60fps frame, which is 16ms, each of these steps may add 1 ms, so it becomes 1ms + 1ms +1 ms + 1ms etc and after all of that, it still has to render the rasterization.

On Nvidia's design, they support concurrent scheduled requests that allows 2 requests to be processed at a time - so instead of sending 2 seperate requests and having to finish them one at a time like on AMD, you can send 2 requests and complete both at the same time. AMD's Ray Tracing core is operating like a single core CPU while Nvidia's operates like a Dual Core CPU. I do believe this is where most of the performance difference between Nvidia and AMD comes from, but as mentioned your CPU and VRAM bandwidth will have some impact too

RT reflections are a "must" in this game though.

Without RT reflection, you have to use SSR, which has horrible grains all over.

https://imgsli.com/NDcwOTE/1/2

You can observe how horrible SSR grain is from this comparison.

RT reflections in this game made me a believer in RT overall, it really enhances the game in certain locations. But above all, it solves all the issues present with SSR,

1) grain
2) dynamically changing reflections based on camera movement (for example, if you look down reflections are gone with ssr, but with rt, they will be always there, as they are supposed to, a simple demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaOQjIxI0bU

RT reflections opens up another aspect of this game: You can use sharpen and get less artifacts. With SSR, i couldn't be able to use sharpen. Why? Because it also sharpens the horrible grain all over the screen and guess what? Grain effect amplifies. With RT reflections, grain is gone, and i managed to leverage a sweet %40 sharpen without any compromises, at all, so that I managed to achieve near-native 1080p quality with dlss quality mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaOQjIxI0bU

RT reflections opens up another aspect of this game: You can use sharpen and get less artifacts. With SSR, i couldn't be able to use sharpen. Why? Because it also sharpens the horrible grain all over the screen and guess what? Grain effect amplifies. With RT reflections, grain is gone, and i managed to leverage a sweet %40 sharpen without any compromises, at all, so that I managed to achieve near-native 1080p quality with dlss quality mode.

Yup that is why I love RT reflections, the SSR still looks very good (especially with that mod that reduces the noise/grain) but I hate how the reflections disappear depending on camera angle, it's immersion breaking.

Some games like GTA 5(with redux mod), rdr 2, alien isolation are truly fantastic though but probably do require a lot more work to get them to that level.

Didn't they say they increased the quality of that in the patch notes? Typical CD Projekt Red.

SSR are somewhat broken in CB2077 from what I am reading. How convenient! :P

However,the game is still a mess in other ways - lack of environmental interactions,and the RPG aspects were not as great as advertised. I really hope the expansions for the game are decent,otherwise once I finish the story I probably won't bother going back to it.

Personally textures look much better to me with this patch, more so the ones in the distance, noticing less texture pop/load in and lighting seems better on a whole as a result of this.

Personally textures look much better to me with this patch, more so the ones in the distance, noticing less texture pop/load in and lighting seems better on a whole as a result of this.
Which GPU do you have? That's good, that's what the release notes said should happen.

Didn't they say they increased the quality of that in the patch notes? Typical CD Projekt Red.
yeah, they specifically mentioned something about SSR.

It seems like they actually did something, and i noticed it this morning

hideous surface grain is there, it is clear,

5BxEaMP.png

This particular place seemed to be grain-less with the new patch

zPmxvAO.png

WT1g9AG.png

Their "solution" to improve SSR turned out tbe disabling certain reflections on certain elements, it seems. But the actual problem is the grain created by it, in general.

d yJeA4WT.png

grain on cars are also gone, but so is the SSR reflection they used to have (along with the grain)

i will try to find the 1.12 version again, but this car's door was more reflective with SSR;

HKpF0Cm.png

The little amount of performance gains might actually be due to the certain SSR elements being disabled.

Talk about SSR improvement, huh?

Edit: Car reflections are completely gone. Even when SSR is off, it reflects cubemaps on its upper surfaces. Meaning SSR is completely disabled for it. Cubemap still does a decent job for reflection though; (reminder, game still employs cubemaps even if you disable ssr, so you will still get lots of reflections)

ssr off:

LWjiotf.png
ssr psycho:
J1iDgs3.png

rt (not that impressive tbh)

tUz0D8H.png

No, they claim memory optimisations, which always means downgrades unless they re-write the code (which never happens). The texture part that got improved is the stuff like billboards textures loading quicker (which previously I'd have through ini tweaks), but the overall model lod transitions are shorter (thus more obvious), and you can see this even just in terms of vram & ram allocation (lower in 1.2 vs 1.12), which means it will hit memory bandwidth harder which means lower performance and more awful transitions on the frametime graph particularly when driving fast (because more swaps occur; again the opposite of what they needed to allow).

edit: see examples here https://www.computerbase.de/2021-03/cyberpunk-1.2-raytracing-benchmark-test/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom