*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Associate
Aye it’s pretty damning. I don’t see how anybody can argue it’s not a bit embarrassing, unless they activate full fan boy defence mode :p. Doesn’t stop CP being fun but just shows how far they’ve missed the goal by.
Me and a mate were laughing at how crap the movement and interactions are in Breakpoint last night (for a supposed modern game). Is game design regressing back to the eighties now?
This is more than embarrassing. It's everything that they promised, just backwards.
Anyway, it's given me the urge to reload GTA again until they fix this (if it can be fixed, not sure on that) so not all bad. :D

Associate
Part 2 is good too.

i think this very much builds a case for what I was saying before, because GTA V is a masterpiece, but it's a game that has been developed continuously over 20 years with many iterations built on top of the previous games. If you go back and look at prior versions of the GTA games many of those same features were not there, things like ability to swim and how traffic interacts to obstructions on the roads. GTA V is very much a unique game in the sense that I don't believe you could build something that complex outright from scratch, it's just too large and too detailed. Building it in one shot would cost too much money to be a viable product, all these extra features require time to program and test and time is money. To achieve something like GTA V you need a continual evolution of a game engine like that over many iterations and I think that's why in some sense it's an unfair comparison.

You could just dismiss this and say, well I'm just a customer I can only judge things on what I get irrelevant of prior circumstances, and fine that's true. But if it's also true that to get something of GTA complexity and attention to detail you have to necessarily go through several iterations of an engine then we'd never see any games of that match the quality of GTAV if we didn't support their lesser quality progenitors. If Cyberpunk is something which gets several sequels, or other open world city games based on the same engine, the development can aim at taking the existing structure and adding more detail to it, and that's something I hope we see.

Soldato
i think this very much builds a case for what I was saying before, because GTA V is a masterpiece, but it's a game that has been developed continuously over 20 years with many iterations built on top of the previous games. If you go back and look at prior versions of the GTA games many of those same features were not there, things like ability to swim and how traffic interacts to obstructions on the roads. GTA V is very much a unique game in the sense that I don't believe you could build something that complex outright from scratch, it's just too large and too detailed. Building it in one shot would cost too much money to be a viable product, all these extra features require time to program and test and time is money. To achieve something like GTA V you need a continual evolution of a game engine like that over many iterations and I think that's why in some sense it's an unfair comparison.

You could just dismiss this and say, well I'm just a customer I can only judge things on what I get irrelevant of prior circumstances, and fine that's true. But if it's also true that to get something of GTA complexity and attention to detail you have to necessarily go through several iterations of an engine then we'd never see any games of that match the quality of GTAV if we didn't support their lesser quality progenitors. If Cyberpunk is something which gets several sequels, or other open world city games based on the same engine, the development can aim at taking the existing structure and adding more detail to it, and that's something I hope we see.

You have made a very good point about the engine. RAGE engine is a masterpiece. There are 2 versions, soon to be 3 versions of GTAV on different variations of their engine. We also know through modding that the engine is very adaptable at how it accepts older versions of assets (much to the displeasure of Take2)
However, there is a big difference between the two games. Cyberpunk has many interiors, GTA does not. What I mean is that you can go into a whole world in cyberpunk without leaving the game world. Whereas GTA the large proportion of interiors are a variation of the same and loaded in as and when entered. You can't just walk in off the street.

I think that is where the difference is. Cyberpunk is a bigger world and more complex than GTAV. I think that is where their game engine approach is different.

Associate
Just re-did the hex edit on 1.0.5 since someone found the new values, performance massively improved again. So much for it not affecting 8 core Ryzen CPUs.

Associate
I'm currently downloading Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl for £5 off GOG ( Steam £10 ... pftt ) and I am guessing my nvidia 970 card will be ok with it.

I'll be getting Cyberpunk 2077 actually in the year it is set at this rate ... ;)

This has to be the worst big title release in living memory, people shouldn't be stating how lucky they were not having crashed to desktop. Never mind the faulty save files, and just the crap in game bugs.

Rockstar has an initial rocky patch with RDR2, as we all know, but they got on top of that fairly quickly, lets see if this software house can do the same.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You have made a very good point about the engine. RAGE engine is a masterpiece. There are 2 versions, soon to be 3 versions of GTAV on different variations of their engine. We also know through modding that the engine is very adaptable at how it accepts older versions of assets (much to the displeasure of Take2)
However, there is a big difference between the two games. Cyberpunk has many interiors, GTA does not. What I mean is that you can go into a whole world in cyberpunk without leaving the game world. Whereas GTA the large proportion of interiors are a variation of the same and loaded in as and when entered. You can't just walk in off the street.

I think that is where the difference is. Cyberpunk is a bigger world and more complex than GTAV. I think that is where their game engine approach is different.
Yeah. But no one cares about any of this stuff unfortunately. They just look at the end product and judge that. It did not help that CDPR hyped it like they did. The game probably needed 1 more year of development and 1 more year polishing to live up to expectations.

Way I see it is what we got is still a lot of fun and they will slowly fix the bugs and add features in with time. If they do make a sequel eventually (I hope they do) then they can use night city again and just expand on it. That way it won’t take as long to develop and there will likely be less bugs day one.

Soldato
Jim Sterling tearing CDPR a new one with his latest youtube video (he starts with a song and dance number). I won't link because it's full of swearing, but it's funny and on point.

Soldato
Jim Sterling tearing CDPR a new one with his latest youtube video (he starts with a song and dance number). I won't link because it's full of swearing, but it's funny and on point.

Just been watching this :D The previous episode he mentions about Discourse around AAA games being ridiculous is well worth a watch too (I linked it a couple pages back)

Soldato
Just been watching this :D The previous episode he mentions about Discourse around AAA games being ridiculous is well worth a watch too (I linked it a couple pages back)

He's not wrong. People are fooling themselves by getting emotionally invested in companies who will lie and cheat to take your money, even to the point where they threaten those who caution against it.

Soldato
GTA get helicopter land on roof? Any roof at that. How is that not easier?

Open world FPS does most of the basics so yes lol!

seems there is a video for everything :D

You can land, but nothing is really happening there, while in Cyberpunk you can find missions on different levels, roofs and you can also jump to roofs and bring some fun into firefights (Crysis style).

Some of the stuff from the Far Cry 5 video was also posted in the versus of GTA 5. We know them, we get it, a lot of stuff is missing or done poorly. BTW, even Far Cry 5 has stuff missing which was in Far Cry 2 :p

Other stuff is just hating for the sake of doing so. For instance, he tried to prove there are not bullet marks in CB? There are, although to some materials/assets they're not present. CB also has inertia in the bullets, meaning a bullet shot from a pistol will move an object a little bit, a revolver will move it more, while a shotgun will blast it away. That's not in FC5. The classical plastic chair (and other chairs) will be destroyed into multiple pieces, not just fly away. Also metal road blockers by a full sheet of metal or fence (the kind you find in The Division), also can be tiped over depending on what weapon you're shooting them with. And so on.

Next will be someone who'll try to prove that Dying Light has better parkour than Cyberpunk. :D

Thing is, with all that stuff missing or implemented incompletely, there is plenty of good stuff happening which is... ignored. :)

You can hide bodies in the boot of a car in CP2077? I've tried this (because it seemed like an obvious use for all those empty boots) but it didn't work. No F prompt etc.

You can, probably the boot is too small on certain vehicle or for some reason they don't let you hide it in the boot you wanted.

It must be something affecting certain systems for some reason, windows builds, driver version or unique combination of settings. It's frustrating and F5 has saved me from having to replay much, at least it doesn't take too long to load up!

120hrs + and no crush, no matter the alt+tab or other changes that I've made. :)

It's about time, money and willingness to actually implement certain things. Far Cry went backwards in terms of physics after FC2, Crysis the same (although Crysis 3 compensated somewhat through grass physics). Even GTA 5 went back on vehicles physics and destruction compared to GTA 4. :)

Bare minimum is the standard. Experience allows to ship it sooner.

Soldato
I often switch in game to see how a scene looks with RT enabled but I honestly struggle to tell the difference most of the time, even when I do it's not worth enabling..

Depends per scene. As example

RTX off (1st pic) vs on (2nd pic)

The shadows, ambient occlusion and lighting in general is more true to life than the normal rasterization. Plus of course, the reflections.

Man of Honour
I often switch in game to see how a scene looks with RT enabled but I honestly struggle to tell the difference most of the time, even when I do it's not worth enabling..

Thsi is true. The biggest difference is with RT reflections when you are near water surfaces or glass outside as the world behind is reflected. But at the same tie you look closer and realise it's total BS because whilst the world is reflected, your V is not and neither are shadows of NPCs and cars passing by in the reflection which actually is more annoying as it ends up ebing one step forwards, 2 steps back lol.

So then back to RTX off :D

The subtle lighting difference isn't enough to warrant the performance hit. Yeah underside illumination of say benches and boxes are cool, but I have yet to in 70+ hours stand there and marvel at how well ray traced the lighting is under a bench compared to standard shadow maps and SSAO lol.

I have also found another bug out in the badlands. This petrol station's roof when you jump up to hack the antenna, the roof has areas that somehow stop you from jumping, so you get stuck between AC ducting that you cannot jump over and the ledge which you can't walk over as it's higher than a pavement:

57fFfS7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom