Cycling Holidays

Soldato
* Feurteventura *

3 of us stayed in Caleta de Fuste which is south of the airport on the east of the island.

Pro tips:
1. It's windy, from the North/North East every day of life.
2. Early February temps were 22-28 every day.
3. The best cycling is in the south of the island. North kinda sucks due to road quality, busier, bad drivers etc. South, specifically South West is where all the CAT3 climbs can be had with rolling gorgeous terrain.
4. Antigua is a village in middle of island, treat this as your base/hub. This is where the best cake stop is, right in the middle of the town. It is amazing. Antigua is where you begin the first of the big climbs to do the climbing from North>South or it is where you will end up if doing your mountain day from South>North. Cake up accordingly.

Mountain route North > South:
https://www.strava.com/activities/489615037

Mountain route South > North:
https://www.strava.com/activities/491340168

Shameful link to my Instagram but lots of pics of our training days:
https://www.instagram.com/xdcx88/

If anyone has any questions about heading to Fuerteventura then feel free to ask away. Our training trip went very well, couldn't have went better at all and we got 6 days cycling with a proper self catering apartment, plus our own bikes went with us and we were approx £340 per person for all of that..... Other than that I took 170EURO with me and came back with about 3EURO in my pocket. So all in, properly cheap trip away with our own bikes and great start to the training year.

:cool:

Soldato
I have a question, why are cakes so mahoosive in Feurteventura?! :D

haha, Mr Touch is a fan of massive cakes, I always had tiny lady cakes :p The amount of cyclists in that cafe was crazy, they definitely make a killing in that place from feeding cyclists coffee and cake!

The big tall mallow/cream filled one you see him with actually moved in the wind when we sat outside :D:D

Even the woman who works in the cake shop laughed at me when i ordered it :(

She did not appreicate the pain and suffering endured to earn it! Pretty sure that was the dog chase day so was more than deserved! :p

Soldato
There is a checklist in my head, erm...

Cycling clothing - bibs, jersey, shoes, helmet, gloves etc
Spares - you normal saddle bag, inc tubes, chain link, patches
Toolkit - Alan keys, screwdriver, multi tool
Small lock
Garmin
Bottles
Energy food/drink

But if you're going to somewhere like Majorca, there are a fair few bike shows where you can pick up most stuff if you forget anything.

There isn't really that musch more than what you would need for a normal ride. But I still spend so much time thinking "do I have everything?" the day before the flight.

Soldato
I'm going 28th-31st March this year to Mallorca. Will let you know!:D

I'll be there on those dates too :D

Weather at that time of year is usually around 14-22 degrees. It can feel pretty cold at times and might rain too, so take a waterproof jacket and arm/leg warmers. This will be my 5th trip to mallorca at this time off year and I've only needed my arm warmers on 1 trip. I don't really feel the cold though.

To add to the checklist:
Own pedals + saddle if you're hiring a bike.
Chamois cream - even if you don't normally use it. Multiple consecutive days of cycling will start to hurt.
Small bottle of sun cream - to take with you on the bike and top up if required.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be there on those dates too :D

Weather at that time of year is usually around 14-22 degrees. It can feel pretty cold at times and might rain too, so take a waterproof jacket and arm/leg warmers. This will be my 5th trip to mallorca at this time off year and I've only needed my arm warmers on 1 trip. I don't really feel the cold though.

To add to the checklist:
Own pedals + saddle if you're hiring a bike.
Chamois cream - even if you don't normally use it. Multiple consecutive days of cycling will start to hurt.
Small bottle of sun cream - to take with you on the bike and top up if required.

cheers - will do - pedals/helmet and shoes are on the list, cream will be but I need to get a smaller tub for the airport 100ml rules and same with sun cream.

Think there is 10 of us going. Staying in pollensa.

Soldato
cheers - will do - pedals/helmet and shoes are on the list, cream will be but I need to get a smaller tub for the airport 100ml rules and same with sun cream.

Think there is 10 of us going. Staying in pollensa.

Not taking any hold luggage? You can just whack a full bottle of cream in there. And then buy some of those small travel bottles for like 50p from Home Bargains and fill one up with the cream to take on the rides with you.

Soldato
Not taking any hold luggage? You can just whack a full bottle of cream in there. And then buy some of those small travel bottles for like 50p from Home Bargains and fill one up with the cream to take on the rides with you.

no hold luggage. Will just get some of the small bottles and whack cream in it for hand luggage.

Soldato
I'm so envious of you guys heading out to bike heaven.

As a group, we're still undecided about the destination this year. We're thinking a little later this year, around September time.

We've been Majorca for the past 3 years. Absolutely amazing, but we were thinking of something new this time. Anyone had any experience with cycling in Italy? Alps, Dolomites? That sorta thing.

Soldato
I'm so envious of you guys heading out to bike heaven.

As a group, we're still undecided about the destination this year. We're thinking a little later this year, around September time.

We've been Majorca for the past 3 years. Absolutely amazing, but we were thinking of something new this time. Anyone had any experience with cycling in Italy? Alps, Dolomites? That sorta thing.

No but I'd love to do Corsica as someone mentioned earlier. Alps are fantastic for driving though :D

Soldato

I went to the Pyrenees with oli collett last September, it was awesome and weather conditions were decent enough. We had a couple of damp, cool days.

We did self-guided riding whilst staying at http://pyreneesmultisport.com/

They do tours of the Pyrenees, Alps and Dolomites but we just stayed at their base in Luscan. The price was pretty reasonable.

You've probably seen these pics already: http://imgur.com/a/a8PJZ

Back
Top Bottom