Cyptolambo 2 is dead.... kindai goes car shawping

Man of Honour
This popped up on AT a stones throw away so went for a test drive.

0da290a9e8114ed09e7747eb96c278af.jpg

Insanely comfortable and putting a heavy foot down it absolutely hooks up and flies.

Could quite easily see myself getting one of these.
Great value cars, every bit as dynamically strong as the Lambo versions with arguably better ergonomics too. Right now they represent incredible value but I would go hard top over soft top due to the small insides of the soft top.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Great value cars, every bit as dynamically strong as the Lambo versions with arguably better ergonomics too. Right now they represent incredible value but I would go hard top over soft top due to the small insides of the soft top.

Compared to the AV the R8 spyder is cavernous in comparison :D

Underboss
So first up was an AMG GT-R. There was one local and a quick test drive didnt really do anything for me. There just wasnt that connection with the car itself. This was a matte black car so still kept my eye out for a green one.

Shortly after Scott Hardy had one come in, so went along with Gibbo for a few test drives.

cbb7eb3f9bf743e48c3b719e8054cdeb.jpg

As before, there was just no connection with the car, I got into it and it just didnt do anything for me. No rhyme or reason, it just doesnt click.

this would be my choice
@Housey knows i want his car ! lol

Man of Honour
This popped up on AT a stones throw away so went for a test drive.

0da290a9e8114ed09e7747eb96c278af.jpg

Insanely comfortable and putting a heavy foot down it absolutely hooks up and flies.

Could quite easily see myself getting one of these.

Few other cars are as capable all year round. At that price it’s a steal too, don’t tempt me :p

I wouldn’t go for anything other than the soft top, you just can’t beat the noise.

For a weekend fun car I’d go McLaren. For a commuting point and squirt, the R8.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
At that price it’s a steal too, don’t tempt me :p

I offered £70k which was turned down.

All the cars that age/mileage spec are around that, but for the same money I can get an Audi approved one which will come with a full Audi warranty and the slightly nicer diamond stitched interior.

Dont get me wrong, its a lovely car and priced in line with the market, but with another 5 coming onto the market today alone, I am happy to wait. Have to think as well it was chopped in, so he probably paid ~60-65 for it.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
And just to put it into perspective. Got offered one a year newer and under 10k miles otherwise the same spec for £80k. For that kind of difference may as well pay the 5k and get a year newer car with 25k less miles.

Soldato
718 Spyder with some spare change for an exhaust.

Or a 570 spider. Private sales trending to 90k now, they’ve been on my radar for years now but I’ve not been able to give up track days so have kept the GT4. Still maybe this is the year.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Or a 570 spider. Private sales trending to 90k now

Yep, theyve been trying to peg at the 100k mark, but have started slipping. Dealer cars are circa 100-105k, private have been trying to hold 100k.

Gibbo and I are in disagreement on this point but I am of the feeling 570's are due a decent correction which is why I'm trending towards something else in the meantime.

Soldato
718 Spyder is honestly one of the best all round road cars out there. Plenty of drama once an exhaust is sorted, compliant enough for B roads and properly open feeling with the top down. It won’t be the kind of power of your other stuff but nevertheless gives a different joy really wringing the revs out and and enjoying the chassis.

I’m not sure how much further 570 can drop tbh, the spiders seem to always be 15k over an equivalent coupe and they have been since I remember. They’re back to pre covid prices now & I think the 12C/650 will start going up soon which should sure them up a bit. McLaren have opened up ‘cheaper’ servicing on older cars and there’s more independents for repairs every year.

Interested in your thoughts to the contrary though! Biggest chunk at this money is dealer margin anyway.

OcUK Staff
718 Spyder is honestly one of the best all round road cars out there. Plenty of drama once an exhaust is sorted, compliant enough for B roads and properly open feeling with the top down. It won’t be the kind of power of your other stuff but nevertheless gives a different joy really wringing the revs out and and enjoying the chassis.

I’m not sure how much further 570 can drop tbh, the spiders seem to always be 15k over an equivalent coupe and they have been since I remember. They’re back to pre covid prices now & I think the 12C/650 will start going up soon which should sure them up a bit. McLaren have opened up ‘cheaper’ servicing on older cars and there’s more independents for repairs every year.

Interested in your thoughts to the contrary though! Biggest chunk at this money is dealer margin anyway.

My view is same as yours McLaren was hammered hard early on and never really had the big spike like brands like Porsche did and as such McLaren prices never had that much to fall back on.

As such I simply cannot see a 570 coupe dropping below 70k and a Spider sub 85k on a private sale, always add another 10k or so for a dealer supplied car.

I feel they bottomed and if anything have stabilised the best money saving tip with them is to buy a private car well to avoid dealer margin which should in theory avoid any hefty depreciation.

I’d say an 80k R8 stands a bigger risk of losses simply due to it been newer and as such add a few miles on and a couple of years time expect trade of 55-65k and to be fair I don’t see trade been any lower on a 570S in a couple of years.

Any of these cars bought well and you will lose less than compared to buying a new quashcai potentially. ;)

Caporegime
Personally I wouldn't put £80k into an R8, not if minimising your potential losses are concerned. They are without doubt great cars with great performance but an £80k R8 is going to drop to £50k over the next few years.

The fact that on older R8s are sub £30k now says it all. Also if you have price tracker switched on, Every £70k+ R8 has dropped by £2k per month over the last few months. Thats hefty depreciation whether buying private or dealer.

Take this one. Its dropped £6k since 12/11/23 and £2k since beginning of Feb before finally selling recently.

OcUK Staff
Personally I wouldn't put £80k into an R8, not if minimising your potential losses are concerned. They are without doubt great cars with great performance but an £80k R8 is going to drop to £50k over the next few years.

The fact that on older R8s are sub £30k now says it all. Also if you have price tracker switched on, Every £70k+ R8 has dropped by £2k per month over the last few months. Thats hefty depreciation whether buying private or dealer.

Take this one. Its dropped £6k since 12/11/23 and £2k since beginning of Feb before finally selling recently.

R8’s are bargains but buying well is a must there was a gent with one of the early S Tronic (DSG) V10’s and even at £40,000 he could not sell it and in the end had to let trade have it for like 37k. Was only on like 40k miles too but in fairness it was grey and general spec but it just shows a gen2 will be down at 50k with miles added and in a year two certainly trade value anyway.

Remember I paid 36k for mine which for a super rare example with wing back buckets, manual and exclusive spec with only 29k miles just shows how hard they get hit.

I’ve seen people not able to get 25k for an R Tronic high mileage car, values are been hammered and there is thousands of them, totally a buyers market whereas a 570 is far less in numbers and I feel they have bottomed or are very close.

IMG_5409.jpeg

A shameless photo of mine I love it and they are ace but don’t drop 80k on one as it will hand you your ass in a year or two…..

Soldato
R8’s are bargains but buying well is a must there was a gent with one of the early S Tronic (DSG) V10’s and even at £40,000 he could not sell it and in the end had to let trade have it for like 37k. Was only on like 40k miles too but in fairness it was grey and general spec but it just shows a gen2 will be down at 50k with miles added and in a year two certainly trade value anyway.

Remember I paid 36k for mine which for a super rare example with wing back buckets, manual and exclusive spec with only 29k miles just shows how hard they get hit.

I’ve seen people not able to get 25k for an R Tronic high mileage car, values are been hammered and there is thousands of them, totally a buyers market whereas a 570 is far less in numbers and I feel they have bottomed or are very close.

IMG_5409.jpeg

A shameless photo of mine I love it and they are ace but don’t drop 80k on one as it will hand you your ass in a year or two…..
Is that an optical illusion or is your splitter parting company with the bumper? Whatever the case, that is a very cool looking car. Perfect mix of "look at me" design with classic lines to keep it timeless.
Not bad at all.

84471c1131b74d918e055314e9883be7.jpg
I normally hate gold wheels but that car and colour combination is stunning.

Soldato
Gibbo has it right in my eyes.

The value from a Gen1 R8 is silly when you find the right example.

My other half has always wanted one and will probably get one eventually, but loves her 996 Targa too much. It also fits the dog in for trips out and can swallow our luggage for a week away, something that an R8 cannot do.

Last edited:
Associate
Very similar list and budget to what I am considering at the end of the year.

I'm just looking at ordering a Defender van to replace my Taycan Turbo for November and should be able to get something silly for the weekends.

I would love a 720S but they are a little beyond me. A 570S seems the most likely.

OcUK Staff
Is that an optical illusion or is your splitter parting company with the bumper? Whatever the case, that is a very cool looking car. Perfect mix of "look at me" design with classic lines to keep it timeless.

I normally hate gold wheels but that car and colour combination is stunning.

Optical illusion.

Very similar list and budget to what I am considering at the end of the year.

I'm just looking at ordering a Defender van to replace my Taycan Turbo for November and should be able to get something silly for the weekends.

I would love a 720S but they are a little beyond me. A 570S seems the most likely.

Always drive both as performance aside I prefer how sport series drive, but no denying the 720 is a rocket ship.

Back
Top Bottom