D&D 5e, starting a game soon, any DM's have tips?

Soldato
If this takes off and we want to buy adventures or maps I see no reason why we shouldnt all throw a fiver in the pot to help cover costs

Happy to contribute as well.

In the past when using Roll20 we have tended to use Skype or similar. This may have been when Roll20 didn't have decent voice options though.

Soldato
I always loved the craziness of the warhammer dwarf slayer beserkers I wonder if theres a way to throw that into my character

Dwarf Barbarian?

They have unarmored defence like a slayer, you dual wield or 2h dependent on your choice and they have rage abilities similar to a slayer too.

Iirc I think mountain dwarves synergies reasonably well with the class as well with the bonus constitution.

Soldato
Thursdays are fine with me, discord is a good option for voice, can set up a free channel.

So as a player what books do I need?

Players handbook is all you need and is useful if you really want to go in depth in your character creation.

You can get a hardback (which is a beautiful peice of work) or alternatively you can pick up a PDF off wizards i believe.

Got all the emails so I will send a test to start the group chat and then ping the PDF later.

Regards voice comms I'm not fussed what we use as long as it works I'm easy.

Any contributions toward future purchases would be great if we get this going. LMoP is a great intro as it isn't too railroaded and gives exposure to aspects other than just stand and bang combat. Should give us enough chance to see if we gel as a group and want to take it all further.

Soldato
Dwarf Barbarian?

They have unarmored defence like a slayer, you dual wield or 2h dependent on your choice and they have rage abilities similar to a slayer too.

Iirc I think mountain dwarves synergies reasonably well with the class as well with the bonus constitution.

If it works im up for that

Soldato
I can run 7 and can balance most encounters on that front but it would have an impact in terms of "game" time people get and combat would be a bit unwieldy.

I leave it up to you chaps as to what you want to do, I'll go with the vote.

Just as I'm posting in here anyway when you have completed character sheets (suen you should see it in the email chain) if you can fire them over.

Didn't think this would be so popular :p

Associate
The PDF doesn't appear to attached to the email.
7 players is probably on the border of a 'herding cats' level of chaos, if everyone up for seeing how it goes with so many then I'm game (if not, then I'm happy to hold off until another campaign). :)

Looking at the party composition, I'm thinking of going Druid as it can be a good balance between casting and backup healing.

Soldato
The PDF doesn't appear to attached to the email.
7 players is probably on the border of a 'herding cats' level of chaos, if everyone up for seeing how it goes with so many then I'm game (if not, then I'm happy to hold off until another campaign). :)

Looking at the party composition, I'm thinking of going Druid as it can be a good balance between casting and backup healing.

Did anyone else not get the PDF?

Associate
All sounds good to me. I'm not worried about 7 people. PDF was a pain for me but got it to work in the end. Adobe reader 11 was needed on my Mac. It's the most unstable document I've ever seen, kept crashing!

Anyways,
Half-Elf Bard at your service :)

Soldato
Yeah, PDF is working for me. Just to warn, I may be going 2 handed warhammer swinging dwarven cleric, healing from the front :D

I love combat clerics, people who try to play a heal role ala WoW type experience end up hugely bored casting Sacred Flame waiting to heal. Plus you have a bard to back you up!

All sounds good to me. I'm not worried about 7 people. PDF was a pain for me but got it to work in the end. Adobe reader 11 was needed on my Mac. It's the most unstable document I've ever seen, kept crashing!

Anyways,
Half-Elf Bard at your service :)

Yeah it's a pain but a great document and easy for tracking and levelling up etc.

I hope you know I expect all my Bard players to only speak in verse for all sessions at all times. Limericks are acceptable too :D

Associate
The PDF had a minor meltdown when loading the spells but other than that it has been playing nice, it acts in a somewhat similar fashion to the ForgedAnvil character spreadsheet so is more or less making sense.
Just writing a bit of a background now.

I'm building a Stout-Halfling Druid, so the combat Cleric should be well supported between my character and Skyline's Bard.

Back
Top Bottom