US: Dark Matter - may contain spoilers

Soldato
Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Is Season 2 for definite?
It wasn't a few days ago, something about the networks wanting to wait until it's finished before deciding... I've got hopes it will be renewed, it's being made in Canada and they get LOTS of financial help to make shows there from the government etc.

Man of Honour
^^ Does falling skies get any better? I'm mid-way through season 2 mostly due to a lack of much else to watch and its getting quite a drag not sure if I want to continue. (I want to like it but some bits are so impossibly contrived for storyline reasons or idealistic American values that don't actually work in the real world its painful at times to watch).

So far I've found Dark Matter much less contrived writing wise and hence for me more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Associate
It does get better, and then falls off again in a big way.

Honestly if you aren't digging it by the end of the second season it isn't the show for you.

Soldato
Well **** Falling skies got canceled... and that was better than killjoys or dark matter so I don't have faith for either 2 :(

Stupid networks.
Pretty sure I read somewhere falling skies was always planned to be a 5 season series from the beginning.... plus they told you season 5 was going to be the last season when they renewed it for season 5 :o

Man of Honour
Just started watching this (2 episodes in). It's got me intrigued enough to continue. Dude from Continuum is in it haha!

Fair few (well known) Canadian actors make appearances - they have access to most of the cast from SG:A - so will probably see more of those in season 2.

Seems to be a bit of a vehicle for the writers to play with storylines, etc. that were too quirky or experimental, etc. for SG:A (kind of like the way Andromeda was an outlet for stuff that didn't fit Star Trek).

EDIT: Amanda Tapping even directed an episode lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I find it quite funny how Dark Matter gets slated for "never explaining anything"... if you are a fan of the genre the blanks are so easy to fill in its almost not worth them explaining them and if you aren't a fan of the genre you probably won't be wasting your time on Dark Matter :S

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Just about to watch the finale of this,

What a fun little show, has its been picked for a second series ? Really enjoying it fun little setting and quite interesting characters after the first 2 shows I thought they was quite 2 dimensional but couldnt be more wrong. Quite like the actor who was in Continuum very underrated. (He has a great voice, would like him to do some audio books)

Nice to see fun sci-fi that is not zombies or a teenager with angst.

Soldato
I find it quite funny how Dark Matter gets slated for "never explaining anything"... if you are a fan of the genre the blanks are so easy to fill in its almost not worth them explaining them and if you aren't a fan of the genre you probably won't be wasting your time on Dark Matter :S
I thought the whole premise of the show was that they didn't actually know anything so things are being explained as 'they find out' sort of thing. Either that or the writers etc are assuming that viewers are relatively intelligent and don't need every little thing explaining to them (which would make a change lol)

has its been picked for a second series ?
yes
Nice to see fun sci-fi that is not zombies
I take it you missed an episode :p

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Thanks great news glad both killjoys and dm renewed we don't have no scifi left otherwise!

Falling skies was always due to finish end of this season run anyhow I heard...

Look forward to that guy coming back to do the Librarians tv series which is identical to warehouse 13 accept it did it first !

Man of Honour
I thought the whole premise of the show was that they didn't actually know anything so things are being explained as 'they find out' sort of thing. Either that or the writers etc are assuming that viewers are relatively intelligent and don't need every little thing explaining to them (which would make a change lol)

yes
I take it you missed an episode :p

The criticism is more that they don't explain some of the background of the universe (corporations, etc.), mechanics and so on, but anyone reasonably intelligent and into the genre can fill in the blanks easily enough IMO.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I quite like that, it allows you to fill in using your head the way you think. i am sure it will get fleshed out.

Dark Matter has been a nice surprise for me. Firstly that they are still making this type of sci fi (very much like SG1 SGA) and secondly that it has been given a second season :D

Also enjoying Killjoys, not as much as DM, but enough to look forward to another season.

Happy sci fi days :D

Back
Top Bottom