Dark Souls 2 - Thread

Associate
From the bonfire in Majula turn around to face the way back to the starting area and there should be a path to the left which will take you to the Forest of Fallen Giants.

Do not join the covenant unless you want to basically be in NG+ :p.

why? what happens if you join the covenant?

Permabanned
First impressions not so good - I think the game looks average on Max and the sounds are awful. Will sleep on it and try again in the morning maybe I still have the bad work vibes clouding my judgement.

If looks and sounds are all you think makes a good game you are wrong. Dark Souls is just amazing to "play" although I think it also looks alright.

Soldato
4k downsampled to 1920x1080, the artefacts werent there in game.

Code:
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation
# read them before changing anything!

########################################################################################
# Internal settings

# The amount of logging output for debugging purpose.
# Should be set to 0 if everything works fine for performance reasons.
logLevel 0

########################################################################################
# Graphics settings

# The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at.
#renderWidth 5120
#renderHeight 2880
renderWidth 3840
renderHeight 2160
#renderWidth 3200
#renderHeight 1800
reportedHz 60

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
#presentWidth 2560
#presentHeight 1440
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 60

# How many vertical traces to wait when presenting
# -1 = unchanged
# 0 = no vsync
# 1 = standard vsync
# 2 = half refresh rate (e.g. 30 on 60 Hz)
# 3 = 1/3rd refresh rate, etc.
presentInterval -1

# The type of scaling you want to use.
# bilinear: what GPUs generally do, cheap performance-wise
# bicubic: higher quality, more expensive performance-wise
scalingType bicubic

# Emulate exact flipping behaviour
# requires some extra performance/memory,
# but may be important for some games to work
emulateFlipBehaviour false

# For games which use strange methods to query resolutions,
# injecting a new one might not work. In such cases, you can try replacing an
# existing resolution. E.g. "overrideWidth 800", "overrideHeight 600" to replace 800x600
# 0 = override disabled
overrideWidth 0
overrideHeight 0

# Dark Souls 2 settings

# SMAA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low 
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 4

# Enable and set the strength of the SSAO effect (all 3 settings have the same performance impact!)
# 0 = off
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
ssaoStrength 3

# Set SSAO scale
# 1 = high quality (default)
# 2 = lower quality, lower impact on performance
ssaoScale 1

# Enable Bokeh Depth of Field
# false = off
# true = on
# WARNING: high performance impact
enableDoF false

# Bokeh Depth of Field radius
# default = 1.00
# higher = more blurry (e.g. 1.5)
# lower = less blurry (e.g. 0.9)
# note: small changes make a large difference
dofBaseRadius 1.0

# Enable Postprocessing
# false = off
# true = on
# For in-depth configuration, look in "assets/post.fx"
enablePostprocessing true

# Texture settings

# Dump game textures loaded using d3dx to textures\[gamename]\dump\[hash].tga
# if you enable override at the same time, the overridden texture will be dumped
enableTextureDumping false

# Override game textures loaded using d3dx with those from
# textures\[gamename]\override\[hash].(dds|png), if available
enableTextureOverride false

# Mark textures with their hash (for texture modders)
# WARNING: extremely slow if a game loads many textures
# (if you think a game crashed, it's probably still just loading textures)
enableTextureMarking false

# Mouse settings
# you may have to play around with these a bit to get mouse input working correctly
# while downsampling in some games

# Modify the mouse position reported by "GetCursorPos" when downsampling
modifyGetCursorPos false

# Modify the mouse position set by "SetCursorPos" when downsampling
modifySetCursorPos false

# Intercept the WindowProc callback of the game and adjust mouse messages when downsampling
interceptWindowProc false

# Adjust the mouse position reported in peeked Windows messages when downsampling
adjustMessagePt false

http://imgur.com/beyl5A2
http://imgur.com/8ymi1rx

Soldato
I've had some very weird graphical bugs with Durante's latest - going to wait for a few more updates.

And for the game - it's great to be back :)

Associate
Thinking of getting this, I love RPG games like skyrim and loved dragon age, much less 2 than 1 though but the fight mechanics look similar to DA 2 to me.

Loads of technical chat on here, for the benefit of a totally non-techy old gamer addict how is the game to play?

Soldato
Thinking of getting this, I love RPG games like skyrim and loved dragon age, much less 2 than 1 though but the fight mechanics look similar to DA 2 to me.

Loads of technical chat on here, for the benefit of a totally non-techy old gamer addict how is the game to play?

It's hard to accurately explain to be honest as it's one of those that has to be played to fully understand. The combat is slow and requires a bit of thought as opposed to rushing in and hack 'n' slashing your way through a mob. You'll probably find it a bit clunky at first but you'll soon get used to it if you stick at it. The best advice would probably be to watch a few videos on Youtube and maybe pick up either of the two Dark Souls games cheap and give it a go (providing you have a controller to use and KB&M aren't ideal).

Associate

might get slated for this, but i played dark souls first, quite a bit, then tried skyrim and hated it. Dark souls combat is quite skilled, pvp wise anyway, skyrim felt basic with zero satisfaction. Workmate played skyrim first, loved it, then tried dark souls, could barely get past the tutorial area and hated it, too hard after playing skyrim. Both games need time i guess as are different to play. Dark souls is definately worth it though.

Associate
I'm using Durante's for the SMAA. 670 doesn't have enough power to downsample from 4k to 1440p.

Would love a bit more grunt so that I can use Durante's Bokeh DOF - it looks nice.

Soldato
Pretty cool! Did the first 2 bosses in the first stint. Then got all the way down to the ship wreck area and died after being ambushed by 3 of those weird creatures.

Will play more tomorrow.

First thoughts are good, but it is easier than DS1... I think anyway.

Soldato
Pretty cool! Did the first 2 bosses in the first stint. Then got all the way down to the ship wreck area and died after being ambushed by 3 of those weird creatures.

Will play more tomorrow.

Might have something to do with the 75 hours put into Dark Souls :p.

Which bosses have you done? There are two in the forest in case you missed one :).

Permabanned

Will play more tomorrow.

Was DS1 your first game of the series? It was for me, I never played Demon souls although I am looking for a cheap PS3 just to play it. Reason I say that is I struggled in DS1 as it was my first go at the series, took me ages to get good. With DS2 I am rolling and fighting like a pro, but I think that is from the experience I got from DS1. Just a thought

Soldato
Might have something to do with the 75 hours put into Dark Souls :p.

Which bosses have you done? There are two in the forest in case you missed one :).

So, I did the giant, and the one on the platform where you raise the rings around him. After that dude, I've done to the tower linked on from that area and down to where the ship wreck area is.

What other boss is in the wood area?

Was DS1 your first game of the series? It was for me, I never played Demon souls although I am looking for a cheap PS3 just to play it. Reason I say that is I struggled in DS1 as it was my first go at the series, took me ages to get good. With DS2 I am rolling and fighting like a pro, but I think that is from the experience I got from DS1. Just a thought

I never played Demon Souls, well that's a lie, I touched on it, but never more than an hour. I have a PS3, should really pick it up. Might even be more online now due to DS2.

Back
Top Bottom