Dashcams!

Caporegime
After having someone delibrately swerve at me because I dared to give them a quick toot with the horn as they drifted lanes, I have decided to finally get one installed.

I'm still unsure whether to go with one with parking mode. I definitely want front and rear camera so my choices I think are:

With parking mode: Either the Blackvue DR650 or Thinkware 770. The blackvue looks smaller? I' leaning towards that.

Or without parking mode: Blackvue DR430

Good options or better ones? I will be getting x2 for both cars.

Soldato
I just got a Nextbase 412GW from Halfords, all in, hardwired and fitted and with accessories kit (which was a pouch and 8gb mem card), was £139.00.

A good we camera and good picture even at night, simple controls, though the touch sensitive buttons could be better if they were physical buttons.
It has a mobile app that allows you to connect via wifi to view and download footage on and too your phone so you dont have to remove the mem card, which is handy, and the camera easily slides off its mount, for safe keeping when not in use and for security.

It has a parking mode, though i find the sensitivity is far too high, even on its lowest setting, as simply getting in and out of the car can trigger it.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
It has a parking mode, though i find the sensitivity is far too high, even on its lowest setting, as simply getting in and out of the car can trigger it.

That's quite a significant movement. Especially if someone is breaking in you would want the camera to trigger :p

Soldato
The problem with the parking mode triggering, when you just want to get in a drive, is it automatically goes into protection mode to ensure the footage is not overwritten, however, once the recording has finished, it stops and you have to manually start normal recording... not very smart, though this was when i was using the cig lighter power socket, not tried it since it was hard wired.

Soldato
Does anybody make a detachable hard-wired dashcam?

I have several vehicles.

I would like to have a hard wired "Dock" (Ideally incorporating a fixed reversing camera) in each vehicle so I can easily move the camera unit from one vehicle to another depending on what I am driving that day.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
Does anybody make a detachable hard-wired dashcam?

I have several vehicles.

I would like to have a hard wired "Dock" (Ideally incorporating a fixed reversing camera) in each vehicle so I can easily move the camera unit from one vehicle to another depending on what I am driving that day.

Any suggestions?

all of them are detachable.. either the mount provides the power or the mini/micro usb plug to the unit it self.

you probably want one with the mount that provides the power rather than the plug so you have less to mess around.

Soldato
all of them are detachable.. either the mount provides the power or the mini/micro usb plug to the unit it self.

you probably want one with the mount that provides the power rather than the plug so you have less to mess around.

Like I said, I would like one with the mount and a reversing/rear camera too. all wired in.

Soldato

It's actually the inverse of what you ask, but take a look at the Koonlung K1S. You could fix the (discreet) cameras, and move the recording body between cars.

Soldato
Whats everyones thoughts on the Transcend 200 v Nextbase 312G....swaying towards the former at £80 due to its nighttime capabilities

The 312GW is bar far and away the best-selling dash cam in the UK. It's currently £79 on Amazon which is a cracking deal. The features are largely he same at Trancend 200 but the click and go mount is what sets it apart.

Soldato
Does it matter which micro SD card you go for in the Nextbase 312GW??

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you weren't necessarily best going for a class 10 card for some reason!?!?!

Soldato
Hi all, my last dashcam was two mini 0801 units (front and rear). I still have them but removed them from my lease car so will need new fitting kits and even the sticky bits (any ideas where I can find the kits?)

Anyway, i'm thinking of a new cam as i'm sure a lot has changed in the....almost three years since I bought the 0801's.

Is there a new darling or is the 0801 still good?

edit: liking the look of the THINKWARE DASH CAM F770. Do they have an install service? Nothing on the website....

Last edited:
Underboss
Hi all, my last dashcam was two mini 0801 units (front and rear). I still have them but removed them from my lease car so will need new fitting kits and even the sticky bits (any ideas where I can find the kits?)

Anyway, i'm thinking of a new cam as i'm sure a lot has changed in the....almost three years since I bought the 0801's.

Is there a new darling or is the 0801 still good?

edit: liking the look of the THINKWARE DASH CAM F770. Do they have an install service? Nothing on the website....

F770 - yes they have an install , they will match RAC prices if RAC are cheaper, are you sure your going to the right website?

http://thinkwaredashcam.uk/

Contact Us

Chameleon Codewing Ltd
17-19 Smeaton Close
Severalls Business Park
Colchester
Essex
CO4 9QY

Phone: 01206 500 874

i think this is there "fitting" website
http://chameleoncodewing.co.uk/

i would just phone that number above (its the main distributor, who also doing fitting)

Last edited:
Soldato
Consider doing it yourself, today I installed a F770 in the missus car. Using guides online it was really straight forward. I still need to hook up the rear camera but I ran out of light this evening so will continue tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom