1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Dayz: Stand Alone Thread***

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by [TFU] Thegoon84, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Gazanimal

Wise Guy

Well at least 2 or 3 people haven't actually read that Dean isn't leaving until at least the end of 2014 when they expect the game to be near on done. He's not leaving when it's half done. He's at least onboard for another approx 10 months.

He's planning on going home, back to New Zealand and starting up a company there and doing what he wants to do which he'd thought about way before DayZ SA did as well as it did.

DayZ SA won't be left high n dry, it'll carry on developing even after Dean leaves, which may be good for the project or bad, it depends who takes over and what direction they expect it to go.

I'm no Dean fan boy, in fact until all the fuss over the WarZ/DayZ thing came about last year I'd never even heard of the bloke, but people's reading comprehension and doomsaying is unreal at times.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. uksoldierboy

Mobster

So we have about 10 months worth of content to look forward to yet then!...

...so that's a new cowboy hat, a lovely beige woollen jumper and maybe a new mask.

In all seriousness though, i think it's a good thing that he's leaving, hopefully the BI Devs taking over can get some great content sorted for us.

3. sharpygsxr

Mobster

im actually quite happy Dean is stepping away from the games development.

Its no different than what Notch did with Minecraft, yet because its something to do with Dean Hall then OMGZZZ THE SKIESSS ARE FALLING!!!

One of the bigges issues with Day Z was that it became a Dean Hall production with him as figurehead, rather than focusing on the games development it was more like a soap opera.

Im hoping his departure will push the focus of the audience on to the direction the game is heading rather than focusing on one man.

Ive blown £20 on much worse things in my life so im still hoping for some future in standalone, tbh id be more content if he was leaving quicker so we can get all the trolls out of the woodwork and finally let them go elsewhere :)

4. Witcher1979

PermaBanned

I think DayZ SA will need a lot more then a year to be anywhere near half done. We all saw it was the end of 2014 but you can bet right now he will do his best to do even less then normal :) He even said he can't lead so he needs to step down now to a much lower position and have someone who can lead fill that spot asap. Just my view like :)

5. GIBURROWS

Mobster

I wish the coward that offered me my money back would have actually done it, not because of this news now though.

6. Sgt_Pepper

Wise Guy

He'd be better sticking with this, I can't see many people buying whatever **** he decides to infect us with next.:)

7. Suarez7

PermaBanned

Who's gonna trust any future projects he comes up with if he can't even finish this one.

Absolute moron, thanks for trying something different though I guess.

8. LateX'Dog

Soldato

Can't say I'm surprised, the enormity of DayZ can be overwhelming when you think about it.

I guess he reaped the rewards, ripped of 1.5 million people and made close to what..... £30 million. He can just sit back now and live of the interest on that alone.

9. Suarez7

PermaBanned

I don't think he's gonna sit back and do nothing, he seems the type who always wants to be doing something but can't commit to anything. Surprised he actually finished Everest.

10. ~>Dg<~

Caporegime

he wont of made that much personally though. probably a million and then small percent royalty wise. remember BI own dayz not dean.

11. Darkwave

Capodecina

12. Hilly

Don

DG, Spils and TheGoon - give it a rest, petty insults, willy wavign etc has to stop.

No more warnings, it'll be a ban next time, minimum.

13. Neil79

Caporegime

It's been going on for MONTHS even with warnings! :o

I mean hey, even I've stayed out of it :p

14. Footyslayer

Wise Guy

The game will obviously get finished and I have confidence of a great game.

Dean won't step away with his name so associated with it knowing it will fail or let people down I'm sure.

15. Witcher1979

PermaBanned

It won't fail, with someone else taking lead it will be amazing.

16. ~>Dg<~

Caporegime

hopefully its the case. :)

17. LOAM

Capodecina

1. Release mod for free
    2. 12 months later re-release mod as paid for standalone with less content than mod.
    3. Make promise of additional content coming over the next 12 months to ensure max sales
    4. Run for the hills.
    5. Profit?

18. ~>Dg<~

Caporegime

escalating rather quickly over tinternets.

19. Hilly

Don

It has and that's the final straw. People have already had their access removed in the past and it will happen again.

20. Witcher1979

PermaBanned

Yeah seems like that is what he has done, lucky BI own the rights and they are a company who will do something to finish it. Although I am a little shocked Dean's contract does not say he has to see it through to release. Not that I care I am just glad a new lead will take over which I hope is before the end of the year. Dean has already said he can't lead so I hope that means a new lead is pushed through, that should leave Dean to make his new hats for next 12 months.