Poll: DC contributurs meeting / beers / get together - Reading - 28th October

It's in Reading, but when are you available (select all that apply)

• Friday, October 20th

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Saturday, October 21st

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Friday, October 27th

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Saturday, October 28th

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I have no quibbles about under-18s attending a meet and drinking some beer. I mean c'mon, I reckon most of us started when we were like 15 :D

The only issue it raises is where we could get alcohol. I mean the original plan I believe is a nice pub somewhere... under-18s drinking alcohol in a pub is a no-go.

I suppose we could go camping or something, then we can just get lots of alcohol from a shop and nobody will much care if a 16 year old has a few. Then again if some people aren't comfortable with the idea it could cause "issues".

I think the only way we will sort this is if we know what we want to do and where.

SiriusB

Man of Honour
Alcohol and under-18's is a no-go at an OcUK forum-organised meet-up as far as I'm concerned. What parents may allow (or even not know about) is one thing. What organisers of a meet-up allow is quite another, and I'm not going to put myself in a position of getting sued by angry parents.

As I've said before, I have no intention of stifling the intentions of people meeting up (I've done it enough times myself to know there's plenty of good reasons), but I draw the line at risking legal action, and the owners of this forum do too.

Soldato
Don't bother with camping. Somebody organise a nice pub somewhere. I almost certainly wouldn't be able to make it anyway. Hopefully lay-z-boy isn't too fussed either.

Man of Honour
I've done my camping for this year thanks. It was fun, but my body says 'not again' :)

Well, the GD tradition states that it's a Saturday night job and people who want to book hotels and such. I'm not sure we want to go for the full-blown meet, but you never know. :)

Soldato
Berserker said:
Sorry. Hopefully there will be other opportunities. I have no desire to exclude anyone, but with 'child' protection the way it is now, serious care has to be taken. :(
Not a problem at all sah, I can imagine some people being very up-tight. I'll be at the meet in just over a years time :p

Soldato
sorry folks not really happy with under age drinking (was involved in youth work for many years) but on private property it's below 18 anyway - 5 years old in the family home but can't remember when in other peoples homes (it's also five see below).

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family_parent/health/young_people_health_and_personal.htm

Are the rest of us responciple for each other, especially under 18's in 'our care' ? That the crunch and I guess and why the forum has set guidelines/rules.

Personally don't see anything wrong with a alcohal free event - but then I don't drink, much ;) , and propably would be driving anyway so wouldn't for that reason.

Camping lol - this lot with no lecky :D that I'd like to see.
If it's resturant based then the 16+ here could have a drink anyway problem solved - meeting you lot is one thing, having a drunken boy's night out with strangers is quite another :eek: ;) :D

- boy this thread has moved on since i started writing this (need to see to the little one) thought I'd post it anyway, even if it is out of sequence.

Man of Honour
shadowscotland said:
Are the rest of us responciple for each other, especially under 18's in 'our care'? That the crunch and I guess and why the forum has set guidelines/rules.
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the current guidelines (depends how long ago you were involve in youth work), but these days there's all sorts of guidelines for avoiding accusations of child abuse and such. I'm not involved with youth work either, but I know someone who is, and thus I have at least a bit of knowledge of the subject. Obviously, any such accusations levelled against anyone in child care, teaching etc. would end their career. Even those not in such a career would find any such accusation incredibly harrowing.

I'm not saying anyone here would even contemplate such a thing, but that, combined with the legal responsibility we'd have to take on makes me really rather reluctant. Some people are more comfortable with this than others (we have had meet-ups involving under-18's, but I've never been to one).

Anyway, I think that's enough squishing of people's plans for one day. Let's get organising. :)

Soldato
shadowscotland said:
- boy this thread has moved on since i started writing this
I hate it when that happens - you hit preview and a load of new replies appear below :p

And pretty much spot on with everything you said. The alcohol part of that link is a good read actually.

Edit: see, Berserker replies just as I'm writing something :rolleyes:

Soldato
Mr. B - I forgot about the 'accusations of child abuse and such' that a whole nother kettle of fish (and they have real teeth) The legislation has been arround for a good while now - but recently got extended to all organisation that deal with young people (under 18) not just registed groups. Both a good thing and a logistical nightmare to many.

Central london anyone? yes I know that lazy, but acessable ;)

Actally everone surgest a location and we'll go from there. :cool:

Soldato
I can do most places that wouldn't cost me the earth to get to. If it is only a one day thing then I am not sure I can justify the train fare to say London and back just for a drink :D

If however someone happens to be going by Manchester on their to wherever we decide to meet then that's great!

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
either the big smoke or somewhere here in surrey sound's like the most favoured so far, has anyong got any other possible locations. Reading's fairly easy to get to by train from most places and it is the location of the best pie shop in the world.

wrt the under age types, I'm not overly happy with the thought of being the organiser of any sort of event where there might be underage people and/or drinking going on for lots of reasons. As such I'd be happier if it was 18+ only. Sorry to the VALUABLE contributors who are not quite at that age, maybe we'll have another meet in a few years and it'd be good to see you then.

Paul

Soldato
I might be able to make it, very dependent on date and location though. I am in Coventry in term time and Wallingford (South Oxfordshire) in the holidays. Reading is easy for me to get to from either of these… I would also like to know about this pie shop :D

Back
Top Bottom