De-lidded 3770k!!

Associate
delidded my 3770k with a Stanley blade pretty easy to do if done slowly and u pay attention to the resistance of the blade, the temps went down by 10c just using mx4 on the die and IHS

but on reading other forums coollaboratory is the way to go some people getting like 23c drops

just waiting now on my Coollaboratory Liquid pro to come in post and my new ek blocks for my g680's plus monsoon fittings (bloody stock shortage)

computer totally stripped at the moment so given the rads a good old clean out to which I'm going to fit some filters

once all the goods come I will then apply coollabs to die and IHS as well the 680's and do some load temp tests 4.5 up to 5Ghz might even be able to push it higher we shall see

will also provide temps for the 680's

watch this space

Associate
I'm curious - CPU's never used to have IHS' fitted- how do they perform WITHOUT an IHS vs with?

I know it's possible to crush the die, which is why Intel fitted the IHS in the first place, but having 2 junctions with thermal paste vs 1 sounds like a further opportunity to reduce the temp...

Has anyone tried?

Permabanned
Tempted too try this.

Thinking of cheese wire perhaps or fishing line? I debage my car with fishing line. Heated the area up and then cut through with the line. Could work here!

So once IHS is off clean all tim off both sides and the sealent.

Just replace the tim and refit, no need for new sealent?

Soldato
OP
@the people that have de lidded, have you increased your core clock from doing this??

I dont know if i have an average chip or poor, running 4.62GHz 24/7 with 1.38v temps max at 54c for general usage, bf3 etc.

The voltage requirements to push these chips past 4.5ghz is immense, have put 1.58v through mine and temps are still good, not going to push any further until a can get a new chip, then its going to the MAX!
So anyone else got decent water and a good chip and apart from temps??
And for the peeps with air, again apart from temps has it helped to increase your oc??

From my findings i'm thinking that decent water is kinda a waste of time with these as you need to run crazy/stupid volts to get anywhere. Whats your thoughts?

Soldato
@the people that have de lidded, have you increased your core clock from doing this??

I dont know if i have an average chip or poor, running 4.62GHz 24/7 with 1.38v temps max at 54c for general usage, bf3 etc.

The voltage requirements to push these chips past 4.5ghz is immense, have put 1.58v through mine and temps are still good, not going to push any further until a can get a new chip, then its going to the MAX!
So anyone else got decent water and a good chip and apart from temps??
And for the peeps with air, again apart from temps has it helped to increase your oc??

From my findings i'm thinking that decent water is kinda a waste of time with these as you need to run crazy/stupid volts to get anywhere. Whats your thoughts?

As soon as i get time, mines getting the chop.
Your chips seems average/below average, 1.38v is pretty high for 4.6Ghz though.

Mine is 24/7 Stable @4.8Ghz @1.35v.
I've since knocked it down to 4.6Ghz @1.25v, and that puts my temps from high 70s mid 80s to mid 50s low 60s.

One thing i will say, i cant bench this @5Ghz no matter what voltage i slap on it, i can get it to boot in windows and do super pi for 5Ghz club, and that's it...cant get it to pass any bench test, hopefully that changes when i give it the chop.

I've had everything sitting waiting to delid this thing for about 3 months....just not had the time or the balls, i was going to get a second 3770k for my ITX build (given up on that) so that's not happening :o

Soldato
OP
I've had everything sitting waiting to delid this thing for about 3 months....just not had the time or the balls, i was going to get a second 3770k for my ITX build (given up on that) so that's not happening :o

thinking winston's method is the safest, use stanley just to get corner cut then use a card to go round, so come on tonester, what are you waiting for!! :D

when i ran vantage with cpu @4.74 that needed 1.51v :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom