Dead Space (Remake)

Found the remake for £20.48 on a key site via dlcompare. Just thinking is there any point buying now that I only completed the original. Guess it came down in price because of RE4 remake.

2 of the best games so far this year definetely, and they are remakes, with the others you have bad release state, stuttering and broken games is fast becoming the norm for PC gaming
I played plenty of great PC games that ran well this year, Atomic Heart, Dead Island 2, Evil West, Ghostwire Tokyo...so I am not gonna be as pessimistic, few Unreal 4 incompetent studios do not spell out PC Gaming is D00m3d just yet for me.

Finally gotten around to trying this one as I'm a huge fan of the original and, well I need help.

I want to start by saying my PC is not extreme by any stretch of the imagination...but its not exactly ready for the scrap heap just yet.

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
TeamGroup Vulcan ORANGE 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz
GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Samsung 120GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gbs Basic
Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-76E1T0)
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gbs 64MB Cache

All drivers are upto date and all games run off of the 1TB SSD.

I recently played through all of the RE4 Remake at mostly high settings at 1440P and it ran great.

So, Dead Space.

After shaders are finished the game loads into the menu and the CPU rockets to 100%. The menu is stuttery and the audio is very choppy and crackly.

If I try and change the settings for the game it takes sometime and when I apply the menu freezes and the sound stops. Cursor still move around and of I wait a few minutes and the Ctrl Alt Del back to desktop, and when I relaunch the game whilst the CPU Usage remains at 100% and the stuttering/audio mess persists the changes seem to have triggered (resolution etc).

I can launch the game but as you can imagine its utterly unplayable.

So, as I stated I know my PC isn't going to win any awards any time soon but this feels like a unique problem rather than my pc not being upto the task.

Any advice?

Please and thank you in advance.

What drive is the game installed on? The minimum reqs are a SATA SSD but it is recommended to be a PCIe SSD. I clocked 1500MB/s ish when loading the game so a PCIe SSD being recommended is well founded. This could explain the stuttering you see as the read speeds are not up to what the game is expecting. Have you done a CrystalDiskMark speed test on your two SSDs to find out where they are performing at?

Finally gotten around to trying this one as I'm a huge fan of the original and, well I need help.

I want to start by saying my PC is not extreme by any stretch of the imagination...but its not exactly ready for the scrap heap just yet.

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard

After shaders are finished the game loads into the menu and the CPU rockets to 100%. The menu is stuttery and the audio is very choppy and crackly.

If I try and change the settings for the game it takes sometime and when I apply the menu freezes and the sound stops. Cursor still move around and of I wait a few minutes and the Ctrl Alt Del back to desktop, and when I relaunch the game whilst the CPU Usage remains at 100% and the stuttering/audio mess persists the changes seem to have triggered (resolution etc).

I can launch the game but as you can imagine its utterly unplayable.
The minimum CPU requirement for RE4 is a 4 core chip whilst Dead Space needs a 6 core CPU so that's your problem I would say. Whilst it's still not quite what's needed, maybe try picking up a cheap 4790K to see if that helps?

Last edited:
The minimum CPU requirement for RE4 is a 4 core chip whilst Dead Space needs a 6 core CPU so that's your problem I would say. Whilst it's still not quite what's needed, maybe try picking up a cheap 4790K to see if that helps?
Thanks for the input. I am sure the age of my PC isn't helping but this doesn't feel like that sort of issue.

The stuttering seems to intense to just be hardware not being up to the task. The sound stutters and often crackles slightly. And the options don't keep up as I run the cursor of them and barely even animate at all. Also there is an issue as mentioned previously with the menu freezing when I try to change the resolution. When I restart the game sometimes the resolution change has occurred and sometimes not.

Don't get me wrong you are probably right, it just feels a bit too specific to be hardware not keeping up. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the input. I am sure the age of my PC isn't helping but this doesn't feel like that sort of issue.

The stuttering seems to intense to just be hardware not being up to the task. The sound stutters and often crackles slightly. And the options don't keep up as I run the cursor of them and barely even animate at all. Also there is an issue as mentioned previously with the menu freezing when I try to change the resolution. When I restart the game sometimes the resolution change has occurred and sometimes not.

Don't get me wrong you are probably right, it just feels a bit too specific to be hardware not keeping up. Hope that makes sense.

You have a 4 core 4 thread CPU and some games will be stutter wrecks on such a CPU. It won't happen in all titles but ones that require more than 4 threads will be stutterfests. It's comparable to running out of RAM. I built a rig around such a CPU and when the game I was playing stuttered I upgraded my RX580 to the Vega 56. A bit of a mistake as it was the 4 thread CPU bottlenecking the game, not the GPU

Your 1070 should be more than enough for the game. I looked up your motherboard socket and there are 4 core 8 thread CPUs compatible with that you could pick up second hand, if you switch this out it probably will run the game smoothly and you only have to switch the CPU out. The alternative would be to get a new CPU and motherboard with multiple chores, which will futureproof you a bit more for not allot more cash and maybe the same cash going the second hand root.

You have a 4 core 4 thread CPU and some games will be stutter wrecks on such a CPU. It won't happen in all titles but ones that require more than 4 threads will be stutterfests. It's comparable to running out of RAM. I built a rig around such a CPU and when the game I was playing stuttered I upgraded my RX580 to the Vega 56. A bit of a mistake as it was the 4 thread CPU bottlenecking the game, not the GPU

Your 1070 should be more than enough for the game. I looked up your motherboard socket and there are 4 core 8 thread CPUs compatible with that you could pick up second hand, if you switch this out it probably will run the game smoothly and you only have to switch the CPU out. The alternative would be to get a new CPU and motherboard with multiple chores, which will futureproof you a bit more for not allot more cash and maybe the same cash going the second hand root.

Ah, I guess that makes more sense. I think I am in denial a little bit but these things are bound to happen eventually.

Can you recommend me a CPU on a bang for buck ratio.

Again, thank you kindly.

Rich

Ah, I guess that makes more sense. I think I am in denial a little bit but these things are bound to happen eventually.

Can you recommend me a CPU on a bang for buck ratio.

Again, thank you kindly.

Rich

Hi mate, A quick look in the members market on here (not sure if you have access of if you need a 1000 posts first), you can get a Ryzen 3700 for £70. You can probably get a Ryzen 3600 for £50-60 and a Ryzen 2600 for less. I'd probably opt for a 3700 because modern consoles have the same number of chores and threads as a 3700 (8 chorse and 16 threads) so your at least matching this console gen in that tech spec.

Hardware Unboxed did an analysis of CPUs in modern games about 18-24 months ago and on Ultra settings the Ryzen 3600 didn't bottleneck the top end GPU compared to modern CPUs, either on a 2080ti or 3090 (I forget but obviously a fair bit quicker than yours). A Ryzen 2600 only slightly bottlenecked games (but you wouldn't notice in game really), so that's an option if your a tight budget and can get it slightly cheaper and you can upgrade down the line

Then you need a motherboard and RAM. So a B550 motherboard should run the 3700 CPU - but please check the spec. A flashed B450 will run it also, but needs another older Ryzen chip to flash it. But if a 3600 owner has flashed his B450 it will run support the chip.

The RAM needs to be DDR4 and can be as low as 2400MHZ (might be 2666 I forget), faster is better so if you pay slightly more for faster it's worth it, but it won't hit performance in games that much in games yet looking at game benchmarks. For RAM I'd just go with 2 sticks of 8gb for bang for buck

What I'd ideally go for if you're not technical is a CPU/motherboard/RAM package either from the Members Market here (ideally as you won't get scammed here) or on an auction site.

If you prefer to buy new components you can pick up a 4600G for £90 if you shop around (no links allowed to competitors on here) - BTW any AMD Ryzen chip with a G after it means it has onboard graphics. So if your GPU ever goes caput, that's a back up until you get a replacement. Also I think a 12 thread 6 core CPU like this will probably keep up for at least this console generation with PC CPUs like a 4600G having a higher clock speed than a PS5. The 8 core CPUs seem to be nearly twice as much and if you're looking for bang for your buck ratio isn't really worth it

I also looked at the cost of upgrading your CPU second hand and for the price I found of around £100 it really does not look worthwhile in terms of value given you'd still have a 4 chore CPU with 8 threads, which will limit you in future games if not some present ones. The only issue you have in moving to Ryzen is buying the new RAM/Motherboard. But if that's an issue buy a B450, Ryzen 2600 and the slowest DDR4. I reckon you could probably pick all of that up second hand for £120 at a push and with the Ryzen 2600 having higher clockspeeds than a PS5 it probably will keep up with it despite it having 2 less chores.

Hi mate, A quick look in the members market on here (not sure if you have access of if you need a 1000 posts first), you can get a Ryzen 3700 for £70. You can probably get a Ryzen 3600 for £50-60 and a Ryzen 2600 for less. I'd probably opt for a 3700 because modern consoles have the same number of chores and threads as a 3700 (8 chorse and 16 threads) so your at least matching this console gen in that tech spec.

Hardware Unboxed did an analysis of CPUs in modern games about 18-24 months ago and on Ultra settings the Ryzen 3600 didn't bottleneck the top end GPU compared to modern CPUs, either on a 2080ti or 3090 (I forget but obviously a fair bit quicker than yours). A Ryzen 2600 only slightly bottlenecked games (but you wouldn't notice in game really), so that's an option if your a tight budget and can get it slightly cheaper and you can upgrade down the line

Then you need a motherboard and RAM. So a B550 motherboard should run the 3700 CPU - but please check the spec. A flashed B450 will run it also, but needs another older Ryzen chip to flash it. But if a 3600 owner has flashed his B450 it will run support the chip.

The RAM needs to be DDR4 and can be as low as 2400MHZ (might be 2666 I forget), faster is better so if you pay slightly more for faster it's worth it, but it won't hit performance in games that much in games yet looking at game benchmarks. For RAM I'd just go with 2 sticks of 8gb for bang for buck

What I'd ideally go for if you're not technical is a CPU/motherboard/RAM package either from the Members Market here (ideally as you won't get scammed here) or on an auction site.

If you prefer to buy new components you can pick up a 4600G for £90 if you shop around (no links allowed to competitors on here) - BTW any AMD Ryzen chip with a G after it means it has onboard graphics. So if your GPU ever goes caput, that's a back up until you get a replacement. Also I think a 12 thread 6 core CPU like this will probably keep up for at least this console generation with PC CPUs like a 4600G having a higher clock speed than a PS5. The 8 core CPUs seem to be nearly twice as much and if you're looking for bang for your buck ratio isn't really worth it

I also looked at the cost of upgrading your CPU second hand and for the price I found of around £100 it really does not look worthwhile in terms of value given you'd still have a 4 chore CPU with 8 threads, which will limit you in future games if not some present ones. The only issue you have in moving to Ryzen is buying the new RAM/Motherboard. But if that's an issue buy a B450, Ryzen 2600 and the slowest DDR4. I reckon you could probably pick all of that up second hand for £120 at a push and with the Ryzen 2600 having higher clockspeeds than a PS5 it probably will keep up with it despite it having 2 less chores.

Hi Andrew, thank you so much for the feedback and advise. To be honest I was planning a very similar upgrade path for the end of the year so this has sort of sealed the day but you advise has certainly made a few things clearer for me which I always appreciate.

Also, last night (as I have EA Play PRO) I installed Jedi Survivor to see how I would get on despite the games well know "hitchyness" it ran quite nicely.

Go figure!

Thanks again.

@mrk just picked up a 34" 3440x1440 165hz ultrawide, man it's so good!

DSC-0517.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if it's the latest nVidia driver I've just installed but after having a few days of playing off, I've notice that the weapons hud/selector looks really grainy (Windows XP era grainy...) when it's out of player focus - if that makes sense. I'll try and get a screenie of it tomorrow.

Apart from this, play through has been seamless.

just installing this now. whats the best way to show FPS in this game? As I cannot see any option in the EA app.

I also dont have the FPS counter thingy that comes with MSI AB.

Back
Top Bottom