Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Associate
Those sellers are scams, avoid. I did some digging into one that popped up with identical stock on their shop as those zero feedback shops, but they had around 1000 5star feedback, did some digging on google with their shop name as I wasn't convinced still (their shop was called educational toys or something like that), found a website for them and they had a news item in there saying their amazon account had been hacked in December.

** No Competitors and pricing **. Can't wait to receive it, just need to get a new 1070 to go with it as I've had to send back my Asus Strix 1070 as it was too big for my case :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Yeah I got that, check out a couple that popped up. Seller's from the EU were book shops selling these monitors ! Soon taken down.

Don't really want to pay more than £400 after seeing them at this price point earlier in the year.

Is it a revision lottery ? I see that the latest is A4. Is it the early A's that had issues !

Soldato
Yeah I got that, check out a couple that popped up. Seller's from the EU were book shops selling these monitors ! Soon taken down.

Don't really want to pay more than £400 after seeing them at this price point earlier in the year.

Is it a revision lottery ? I see that the latest is A4. Is it the early A's that had issues !

From what I've read A1-3 have a fair few issues. Definitely seems to be less reports of problems on the A04, but possibly down to fewer people owning them?

I didn't mind paying that bit extra to buy it from a big retailer, even more so now knowing now I got the latest revision. The cheaper ones are generally older stock and you could easily face issues with returns.

Associate
Thanks, I've see some for £499 from everyone's local PC & #urrys store have some in stock ready to be dispached next day. Still £100 more is more than I want to spend, even if it's £450 I'll be happier. I'll keep my eye open.

Yeah, I was the same - didn't want to spend more than £400, but I bit at £460 from amazon yesterday.

Associate
Just seen "Educationaltoys" have there listing on there again. Telling you to email 1st lol, probably want you to pay outside of the normal payment methods.

Man of Honour
Just seen "Educationaltoys" have there listing on there again. Telling you to email 1st lol, probably want you to pay outside of the normal payment methods.

LOL new seller with no history or feedback selling expensive items at unbelievably low prices... yeah right.

Associate
Bit of a noob at all this so I just need a bit of help with final adjustments. Firstly, my monitor settings are as follows:

Brightness 74%
Contrast 76%
Custom Colours are all set to 100%
Monitor Deep Sleep is disabled
Response time is set to Normal

On the NVidia Control Panel

Resolution is set to fill 2k with 144hz
Desktop Colour settings -
brightness 30%
contrast 50%
gamma 0.72
digital vibrance 60%
Hue 0%

GSYNC is set for both windowed and full view mode

Under video, everything is set to default as follows:

Brightness 50%
Contrast 50%
Hue 179 degrees
Saturation 50%

Gamma RGB all 1.0
Advanced - dynamic range set to full

Does all of this sound about right?

Man of Honour
I'd leave brightness in the nVidia control panel (think its 50%) on default and adjust on the monitor to taste, contrast should rarely be adjusted from default as that pretty quickly destroys colour detail.

Below about 0.86 or so gamma in the nvcp you will get black crush as someone mentioned above - though I run with some minor crush at 0.75 as that way overall it closely matches the IPS I have beside it albeit without as deep colour depth/detail.

Digital vibrancy I don't touch personally as it quickly destroys accuracy but if you aren't too fussed and just like a vivid and colourful display bumping it upto 60-65% will look good.

I have custom colours on the monitor set to R 99%, G 99%, B 96% but the exact values will differ between each individual monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, I've just adjusted the brightness on the nvidia settings back to 50% and reduced it on the monitor to 54%. I've also bumped the gamma back up to 86% and instantly noticed the black crush lifting. Digital vibrancy I've left the same but I've copied you monitor RGB settings...thanks

Final stupid question - I'm playing BF1 on ultra settings. I load it up and it tells me in the overlay that I'm running at 144hz. I load a game and it switches to around 78hz. Is that normal?

Man of Honour
In the BF1 settings there should be an option to change the monitor refresh rate sometimes there are multiple entries of the resolution i.e. 2560x1440@60, 2560x1440@120, 2560x1440@144, etc. (it defaults low for "compatibility" reasons) or you can go into the nVidia control panel and under Manage 3D Settings change the option for Preferred refresh rate to highest available.

Soldato
Well I was going to buy a 1070 for this monitor. But I figured I may as well go balls out. So an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW is on its way to me :) I'm guessing OCUK don't dispatch on a Sunday, so hopefully be here on Tuesday.

Associate
I've just installed Doom and it runs consistently over 120 fps, which looks amazing on this monitor. I'm using Gsync, I haven't tried ULMB yet (someone recommended it here for high framerate games)

The benefits of QHD are more evident than ever here: enemies appearing far away retain all their details and the picture looks very, very sharp.

Having tried a X35 (an ultrawide with a VA panel), I loved the depth of the colours and I hated returning to my former TN monitor, where everything black looked grey. And I blamed the TN technology.

Well, it turns out that it was my former monitor which was really rubbish: the colours on the Dell look way better. One YouTube review was saying that it was hard to believe that it was a TN panel, that the colours made it look like an IPS panel, and I thought this was probably exaggerated. Well, I think the reviewer was right. I was apprehensive of Doom's dark colours, and I was wrong, it looks fantastic. Stunning monitor.

Associate
Seems stock for this Dell is becoming few, the only ones in stock are £500+.

It now makes me think either production is slow or stopped ? Wondered if anyone has heard anything or if a new model .?

Back
Top Bottom