Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Associate
This panel does have a little more banding than typical though I don't generally notice it except in very specific circumstances and only really because I have a decent quality IPS alongside it.

Sadly its kind of the price to pay for a responsive monitor of this resolution and refresh rate until tech moves on :(

Thanks Rroff. At least I know its not just me. As I said, nothing major, just the odd scene here and there, easily live with it as the upside it 144fps goodness :)

Man of Honour
tintin82;30479374 said:
I think it really is panel specific. I have downloaded and tried some icc profiles that I thought were terrible.

In regards to banding is this something that all monitors have, or am I right in saying that this panel has it significantly more?

I am playing Resident Evil 7 (very dark game), and am finding the banding somewhat distracting. Raising the gamma does a way with it, but then the game is brighter than recommended in the settings. All other games are fine apart from the odd thing such as in a cave in Witcher 3 or the night sky in GTA5 looking banded.

All in all a great monitor, just a shame about the out of box settings and banding, for me at least.

Think I'm gonna stick with 100/100/93 - seems a touch less accurate than what I was using but the colours definitely "pop" more and at the end of the day if I was really wanting accuracy I'd move over to the IPS panel on my left heh.

Associate
I received mine a week ago, I am happy apart from one issue! there seems to be a lot of light coming from the bottom of the screen when the background is dark!

Anyone know what this issue is? its only minor but its starting to frustrate me!

Associate
Burzyy;30483797 said:
I received mine a week ago, I am happy apart from one issue! there seems to be a lot of light coming from the bottom of the screen when the background is dark!

Anyone know what this issue is? its only minor but its starting to frustrate me!

That's called backlight bleed (BLB). Welcome to the modern day monitor lottery.

Soldato
Mine came today, ordered 3PM yesterday arrived 9am this morning, was from a competitor sadly.

Revision A04 (not sure the difference) and have to say 144hz is a dream! I honestly didn't think 144hz/G-Sync would be all that noticeable but it is honeslty, without being cliche, night and day. It's just so buttery smooth!

The panel, being TN is no where near as good colour wise as the U2412 it replaces, it's being donated to a family member. But I don't do any photo work, just games, browsing etc. so it's fine for that.

Associate
VaderDSL;30486167 said:
Mine came today, ordered 3PM yesterday arrived 9am this morning, was from a competitor sadly.

Revision A04 (not sure the difference) and have to say 144hz is a dream! I honestly didn't think 144hz/G-Sync would be all that noticeable but it is honeslty, without being cliche, night and day. It's just so buttery smooth!

The panel, being TN is no where near as good colour wise as the U2412 it replaces, it's being donated to a family member. But I don't do any photo work, just games, browsing etc. so it's fine for that.

Yeah the step up is pretty dramatic from a 60hz. Its funny how quickly your eyes get used to it. I sometimes switch back to 60hz for comparison and am amazed at how I managed to play with it. Definitely no going back.

Associate
Hi guys, I took delivery of this monitor a few days ago and initial impressions are good. Gaming is so smooth accompanied with my 1080gtx.

However, compared to my clapped out Harzo 27inch IPS monitor I can't help but notice images/ text are not as sharp AND whites seem overly dull. I have tinkered with the osd settings and tried a few icc profiles. Is there anything specific I can do to improve these two issues? The dull white is probably my biggest concern which may force me to return it for something else. Thanks.

Associate
Crixus00;30489489 said:
Hi guys, I took delivery of this monitor a few days ago and initial impressions are good. Gaming is so smooth accompanied with my 1080gtx.

However, compared to my clapped out Harzo 27inch IPS monitor I can't help but notice images/ text are not as sharp AND whites seem overly dull. I have tinkered with the osd settings and tried a few icc profiles. Is there anything specific I can do to improve these two issues? The dull white is probably my biggest concern which may force me to return it for something else. Thanks.

Go to the 'calibrate monitor' wizard within Windows settings. Adjust the Gamma. Solved. Hopefully :) Gamma out of the box is pants.

Associate
tintin82;30489586 said:
Go to the 'calibrate monitor' wizard within Windows settings. Adjust the Gamma. Solved. Hopefully :) Gamma out of the box is pants.

Thanks for your reply. I have continued tweaking the settings and i have now settled on a config I am definitely warming too. I have the A03 revision and, aside from some initial concerns over whites and clarity (typical TN vs IPS differences and limitations), it has so far proven flawless.

Man of Honour
tintin82;30489586 said:

I think the gamma out the box is poor as there isn't a huge range of tolerance (allowing for variation in individual monitors) before you get black crush - I've traded a small amount of black crush so as it looks quite close to my IPS along side it though obviously the IPS has better detail in dark colours.

Most colour adjustments seem to bracket ideal with having to make a trade off somewhere - I've ended up now with R 100, G 93, B 100 as per your settings as they make the colours on screen "pop" the most out of any other close adjustment without looking unnatural at the end of the day the main use is gaming so looking good counts.

Associate
marcus1954;30494305 said:
I too have an A03 version be interested in your settings.Me im using fast mode .gamma 70 ,vibrance 70 .brightness 43 ,contrast 75 custom color all 100

I am using the latest ICC profile created by FattysGoneWild which can be found on another forum.

He suggests brightness @ 21 and contract 75. Of course everyone's monitor is different even within revisions. For my monitor and taste i'm currently using 40 brightness and 75 contrast.

Associate
my monitor is very nice now that it calibrated rgb 100,93,100 brightness 25,contrast 75. But have found that in games setting it to "fast" makes games more stable before had several crashes in "mmos". Also I find everytime Nvidia update gpu drivers it resets monitor lol. But otherwise it is a good investment.

Associate
Hi all.

Can i just ask, is this a big step up from my 26" Samsung Syncmaster T260HD 1920x1200@60Hz?.

I'm upgrading my pc tomorrow. and i can't decide if the monitor upgrade is a worthwhile jump. Would it be like night and day!?.

New pc will feature:
I7 7700K 4.2Ghz
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz Ram
and my current msi Gtx 980ti

Associate
NiteSurfer;30499480 said:
Hi all.

Can i just ask, is this a big step up from my 26" Samsung Syncmaster T260HD 1920x1200@60Hz?.

I'm upgrading my pc tomorrow. and i can't decide if the monitor upgrade is a worthwhile jump. Would it be like night and day!?.

New pc will feature:
I7 7700K 4.2Ghz
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz Ram
and my current msi Gtx 980ti

Yes. When you play a FPS, or any game for that matter you will be like OMG!

You get used to it quick, but every now and then the sheers smoothness catches you in amazement. I could personally never go back to 60hz. I cam from 60hz 1440p. For you the jump will be doubly good coming from 1080p. You will not regret.

Man of Honour
marcus1954;30497926 said:
my monitor is very nice now that it calibrated rgb 100,93,100 brightness 25,contrast 75. But have found that in games setting it to "fast" makes games more stable before had several crashes in "mmos". Also I find everytime Nvidia update gpu drivers it resets monitor lol. But otherwise it is a good investment.

That doesn't make much sense - the fast setting in the OSD should have absolutely no connection to the stability of a game. I find with the fast setting there is a bit of undesirable overshoot.

Back
Top Bottom