Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
I currently have a U2515H. If I got the S2716DG would the desktop (text etc) look smaller? My eyes aren't what they used to be and don't want to be struggling to see things. I like the U2515H but I'd like gsync to go with my card as I mostly game on my pc.

Soldato
I currently have a U2515H. If I got the S2716DG would the desktop (text etc) look smaller? My eyes aren't what they used to be and don't want to be struggling to see things. I like the U2515H but I'd like gsync to go with my card as I mostly game on my pc.

Yes, but not a huge amount, I'd say go for it.

If you do find you have issues, Windows 10 does a good job of increasing text size and legibility.

Soldato
I run this display with a 1080, but previously ran it with a 980. It is acceptable with a 980 and some games can still push really high framerates (like overwatch) but there is no comparison to the performance I get with the 1080. I think the 1070 would be more than capable of driving this monitor comfortably. 970 maybe not so much.

Well, I got the two monitors on Sunday and my 970 seems to be holding up well. May be because I don't tend to play massively stressful games, probably the worst it's had to deal with so far is Gears of War 4. Have to say though that I'm really impressed by these monitors, and quite happy that after about a decade of dual monitors I finally have two the same make and model!

Associate
Pudney you should up your game to a 1080 or 1080Ti. Running games like Doom locked at max refresh is glorious. If I unlock the framerate in doom I get from 140-170FPS with everything maxed out on nightmare mode. This is the greatest setup I've ever had. It would be nice if I had two of these but my cheapo 22" secondary monitor serves me well for movies and youtube while I game.

Soldato
A 1080/1070 is a possibility in the future but this month dropping another c£400 on a graphics card wasn't going to happen along with a grand on two monitors! Although I do want to see what these monitors can do :D

Associate
Had this monitor about 4 and a half months now and just checking in to say I'm still extremely pleased with it, colours look excellent with a custom profile, it performs flawlessly in gaming too and the gsync works like a charm.

I managed to grab mine during a sale running up to xmas for 460 from a competitors website so feel very fortunate when looking at the prices now. Now I just need to save to upgrade my fading U2410 photo editing monitor to one of the nice shiny UP2716D, maybe thatll be next Decembers xmas present to myself.

Soldato
I've got this annoying problem with this monitor (A03 revision) where every so often the maximum refresh rate will be 85Hz (about 1 in ever 20-30 boot ups). If I then restart the PC it will be fine and back to 144Hz. I've tried both the cable that came with the monitor and an Eizo display port cable that is on the list of certified cables. It's pretty annoying since I have to check the refresh rate is correct every time I get into Windows. However, I can live with it at the moment since it occurs so infrequently; I'm concerned that it may develop into something more though.

I have a Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock Premium and I've tried different display port outputs on the card, but I still get the issue. Has anyone else noticed this?

Soldato
Itron, you need to adjust your siggy before it get's deleted by a mod. We are only allowed 4 lines of text.
OK, thanks.
My specs are:
Intel Core I7 [email protected] with NH-D15S CPU cooler
Asus Sabertooth X99. 32GB(4x8GB) Kingston Hyper X Fury 2133MHz CL14
Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock Premium Edition
Corsair RMi 1000W. Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX case
Samsung SM961 512GB M2 Nvme (boot drive), Samsung 840 Pro 256GB and Crucial M4 256GB
Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 144Hz Gsync monitor
Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Associate
I suggest that you use DDU (display driver uninstaller) and then do a clean install (select this option during setup) of the latest Nvidia Geforce driver from Nvidia.com as a first step. Make sure GSYNC is enabled in Nvidia control panel

Soldato
I suggest that you use DDU (display driver uninstaller) and then do a clean install (select this option during setup) of the latest Nvidia Geforce driver from Nvidia.com as a first step. Make sure GSYNC is enabled in Nvidia control panel

Okay, I've done that but I won't know whether it worked for a quite while as it doesn't occur very often. I also tried updating to a newer VBios on Palit's site but it wouldn't go through saying it "wasn't necessary or is for the wrong model" (it definitely was listed for the right model unless Palit themselves made a mistake and put a Bios for a different model on the wrong page).

Thanks for the help and if you have any more ideas that would be great as it's a bit puzzling. I suppose it couldn't be the cable, I'm currently using an Eizo one that's on the certified list and before that I was using the one that came in the box. Surely they can't both be duds.

Associate
Would people reccomend this over the Asus and Acer G-Sync monitors?

Primary use will be games (Battlegrounds, Arma, Rocket League) and paired with a 980.

Also I currently use DVI, is this the suggested method for these new monitors?

Soldato
When is the price of this monitor going to come down??

It's been out now for a year and if anything the price seems to have gone up. It's rarely under the £500 mark. A lot of people must be buying this monitor to keep the price so high.

Back
Top Bottom