Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
Can someone please share their option in nvidia panel? Should the global vertical sync be on?

I believe with Gsync on, Vsync controls the behaviour of Gsync when you go beyond your refresh rate.

Gsync + Vsync on:

FPS less than refresh rate = Gsync on
FPS more than refresh rate = Vsync on, no screen tearing, but some extra input lag
Gsync + Vsync off:

FPS less than refresh rate = Gsync on
FPS more than refresh rate = Vsync off, but screen tearing is back, no extra input lag

So I think it's best to have Gsync and Vsync on in Global Settings. Then per game in the individual Program Settings you can turn Vsync off, e.g for fast FPS games.

Of course then there is Fast Sync as well :).

Fast Sync is unrelated to G-SYNC, but they work together to provide the best gaming experience. Fast Sync should be enabled when games have very fast render rates relative to the refresh rate of your monitor. G-SYNC is most effective when the render rate of a game is variable, and below the max refresh rate of your monitor. So both technologies can be active at the same time to deal with variable game frame rate scenarios.

Personally I just use Gsync on and Vsync on.

Associate
Just setup one of these, unfortunately 3 dead pixels sigh, gamma was awful but intended to calibrate it anyway. Calibrated it with a display munki and to be honest the colour is actually really nice and doesn't look bad at all, but it goes down hill from there for me. Can notice the usual tn colour and contrast shift even when head on, and checking the lagom black level the shades of black go from dark blue to orangey/greenish tints, yuck. Would keep it still if it wasn't for the dead pixels but wont try another.

I'll keep the profile if anyone interested in using it, used a Colour munki Display. Revision was A04 and bought from the place that goes with naan bread :D

Soldato
Just setup one of these, unfortunately 3 dead pixels sigh, gamma was awful but intended to calibrate it anyway. Calibrated it with a display munki and to be honest the colour is actually really nice and doesn't look bad at all, but it goes down hill from there for me. Can notice the usual tn colour and contrast shift even when head on, and checking the lagom black level the shades of black go from dark blue to orangey/greenish tints, yuck. Would keep it still if it wasn't for the dead pixels but wont try another.

I'll keep the profile if anyone interested in using it, used a Colour munki Display. Revision was A04 and bought from the place that goes with naan bread :D

That's a shame about the dead pixels. I do a agree on a few points there though, out the box gamma is awful, how could they ship a £500 monitor like that? Viewing angles with the colour and contrasts shifts aren't good as you mention. I'm certainly no monitor expert though. I've had mine a couple of months now and don't really notice the colour shifts or anything now, and once immersed in a game of Battlefield running smooth as silk, it becomes utterly fantastic.

Associate
Took delivery of one of these yesterday and my first impressions were great. The screen looked very nice and the stand was easy to put together and gave me a good quality feeling. Unfortunately, as I peeled off all the guarding plastic I noticed a big dent on the front of the screen right next to the Dell logo. I did, however, give it a quick try connecting it to my MacBook Pro to check the screen quality itself. The pre-configured gamma was awful and turned my desktop into multiple shades of yellow/orange but after some manual calibration, it was great. Decided to get a replacement ordered.

Man of Honour

Black is black on mine :s though I have to compromise with a tiny little bit of black crush to get the most acceptable overall picture quality. I find having a bias strip on the back (only really works if you have the right coloured plain wall at the right distance behind it) really helps to increase the perceived image quality as well.

Associate
Black is black on mine :s though I have to compromise with a tiny little bit of black crush to get the most acceptable overall picture quality. I find having a bias strip on the back (only really works if you have the right coloured plain wall at the right distance behind it) really helps to increase the perceived image quality as well.

Its just one of those things, I've used IPS for years so going back it's just too noticeable to me. The black color difference were the same tints even before I calibrated, I didn't notice the difference when in games though but was obvious when testing on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php. Heres a video on the black/greys on the Dell, its just a TN weakness https://youtu.be/b57S0cxZpjo?t=406.

Its not a bad screen once past the gamma, TN has come a long way since I last used one and would have gamed on it happily if it weren't for the damn pixels but at the same time it doesn't seem worth it to me to try another TN at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom