Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Man of Honour
Shame there never seems to be any mention of the DAC used on monitors with HD Audio - while it doesn't have a ton of output power by the looks of it so would need amping for more demanding headphones the audio out on this monitor does seem pretty decent - if I had to guess I'd say was using a TI PCM2xxx series DAC based on the quality - unfortunately exceeds the spec of any recording device I have so can't get accurate RMAA results.

Associate
Got mine recently, and reading through this thread here sounds like a lot of you guys have been experimenting with ICC profiles along with suggestions of altering the Nvidia Control Panel settings too, alongside the monitors own settings.

What settings and profile are you guys using on your monitor?

I have the A04 revision model if that makes any difference.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
They're very expensive now. I paid under £400 new for mine. My eyes nearly popped out when I saw how much they sell for on here these days. 72% more is just insane.

It's still better than the Asus one though, if its a toss up between those.

As for other monitors, there a few new ones that have more features but will be respectively (and insanely) priced. Nothing that is the holy grail for me though (32", 4k, 120Hz+, HDR, OLED, G-Sync, etc)

Man of Honour
Finally bought one, coming tomorrow ! Any information I need to know other than don't use the shipping setting's :)

ICC profile isn't essential but if you have half an idea what you are doing can fine tune the quality even more - main thing is to adjust the gamma via software i.e. the nVidia control panel - its useful to use http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php to test against so you can get the best look of contrast and saturation while minimising black crush - you'll probably have to make some small sacrifice in black crush to get the best overall looking result - at the end of the day this is a gaming monitor :s

Avoid changing the contrast on the monitor if possible as that is quickly quite destructive of deeper colour detail and as above the normal response setting works better than fast. Turning off deep sleep mode on the monitor can reduce any potential issues with it waking up which some have encountered but some have found it can use upto 20 watt in idle with it disabled - mine uses about 4-5 with occasional spikes when I tested it but even that is high compared to the deep sleep consumption.

Associate
If you get one of these then "disable deep monitor sleep" menu > other monitor deep sleep. Don't know if has been fixed, but I do remember if it was enabled it would not wake up!

For colour profiles look here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

But since every panel can be different with colours I have Spyder 5 Pro and do mine every 6 months. So if you want invest in a monitor calibrator. You can get one for £90.

If you want my icm you can find it (here) done in May this year. But as I said every panel can be different. Anything is better than default setting though.

Its nice monitor but dam the price has changed after a quick look after D3K comment! :eek:

Man of Honour
If you get one of these then "disable deep monitor sleep" menu > other monitor deep sleep. Don't know if has been fixed, but I do remember if it was enabled it would not wake up!

For colour profiles look here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

But since every panel can be different with colours I have Spyder 5 Pro and do mine every 6 months. So if you want invest in a monitor calibrator. You can get one for £90.

If you want my icm you can find it (here) done in May this year. But as I said every panel can be different. Anything is better than default setting though.

Its nice monitor but dam the price has changed after a quick look after D3K comment! :eek:

I found someone else's settings of using custom colour RGB 100, 93, 100 work well over a lot of these panels - it isn't necessarily the most accurate - but its close to accurate and seems to make the colours "pop" more than more closely calibrated settings while still looking natural - which for the kind of uses you'd use this monitor for is probably all that most will care about - personally I've got a Dell IPS alongside mine for using where I care about colour reproduction and accuracy heh.

Associate
I found someone else's settings of using custom colour RGB 100, 93, 100 work well over a lot of these panels - it isn't necessarily the most accurate - but its close to accurate and seems to make the colours "pop" more than more closely calibrated settings while still looking natural - which for the kind of uses you'd use this monitor for is probably all that most will care about - personally I've got a Dell IPS alongside mine for using where I care about colour reproduction and accuracy heh.

Would you be able to share your settings in NV panel & monitor settings?

Man of Honour
Currently I'm using:

Monitor

Brightness: 30% (adjust to taste I'm not a fan of it too bright myself)
Contrast: 75% (I don't recommend changing it from default 75% as it quickly destroys colour detail)
Colour->Preset Modes->Custom colour: 100, 93, 100 (R, G, B) (On my specific panel 99, 99, 96 is actually more accurate but colours "pop" more with 100, 93, 100 which seem to work the best without fine tuning over all these monitors I've seen so far).
Others->Monitor Deep Sleep: Disable (Some of these panels can be a bit glitchy about coming out of sleep mode* but disabling deep sleep can have high standby power draw - some seeing as high as 20 watt)
Display->Response Time: Normal (generally the fast setting exhibits inversion artefacts, etc. while not appearing to decrease ghosting, etc. any more than the normal setting to any significant level)

nVidia Control Panel - Display->Adjust desktop colour settings

Gamma: 0.75 - 0.92 (Each monitor seems quite different as to how much black crush you get and how much gamma you need to get a good contrast and natural looking saturation - I recommend using http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php to minimise the compromise with black crush to get the best balance).

Digital vibrance: 50-60% (Personally I avoid this setting as it only moves away from accuracy but some like 60% as it makes the colours look deeper and more saturated - if you just like it looking nice and vibrant for gaming then its worth playing with the setting).

I've avoided ICC profiles personally as while they can work well they've been calibrated against a specific monitor and usually need a bit more experience to make the most of - you may also have issue with getting them to stick with specific games and/or dropping out when exiting a game.

* Removing both the power lead and any DisplayPort and/or HDMI sources connected for about 3 seconds should fix it if it happens. Supposedly A03 onwards have fixes for deep sleep problems according to a Dell engineer's post elsewhere but not sure if it is confirmed.

Last edited:
Associate
ICC profile isn't essential but if you have half an idea what you are doing can fine tune the quality even more - main thing is to adjust the gamma via software i.e. the nVidia control panel - its useful to use http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php to test against so you can get the best look of contrast and saturation while minimising black crush - you'll probably have to make some small sacrifice in black crush to get the best overall looking result - at the end of the day this is a gaming monitor :s

Avoid changing the contrast on the monitor if possible as that is quickly quite destructive of deeper colour detail and as above the normal response setting works better than fast. Turning off deep sleep mode on the monitor can reduce any potential issues with it waking up which some have encountered but some have found it can use upto 20 watt in idle with it disabled - mine uses about 4-5 with occasional spikes when I tested it but even that is high compared to the deep sleep consumption.

Thank you.

Didn't use any ICC profiles in the end, I just tweaked some setting to taste. Still not there yet, but those test patterns will help.
I have to say I'm missing my old IPS, colours & sharpness is the only thing this Monitor is missing. As whats been said many times this a gaming screen. :)

Man of Honour
Don't really have any lack of sharpness with mine - though it doesn't quite have that punch of the IPS aided by its deeper saturation of colours.

Associate
I think it's ether the matt screen (A03) Vs the gloss of my Hazro or the TN Vs IPS or 8bit Vs 10bit colours. Could be all of the above that seems to be less sharpness ?

I've really only checked for a pixels etc & tweaked for about an hour max. It's my gaming evening tonight, so I'll be spending some time in front of it playing Overwatch. Hopefully I'll see some performance gains over my old set.

Associate
Had my first gaming session on the Dell last night, mainly just messing around in Overwatch's quick play for an hour or two but I'm really impressed !

Loved the smooth game play from g-sync, didn't drop from 142fps (I had it capped as I've read stepping above this in Overwatch disengages g-sync). Speed of the panel was nice, could swing it around & the picture was clear.
Played some FIFA 17 with uncapped FPS & that was sooooo smooth it was really playable. Playing FIFA on the steam link on the 60hz Panasonic is gonna hurt my eyes.

Annoying that Windows sets the DP as the audio default. Started up TeamSpeak & it was set to my Creative X7 as normal but the game was inputted to the monitor (no sound was outputted) ? All my settings are left at default so was strange that the game was set to DP & TS to the X7 ! So I take it the Dell doesn't have any speakers even though it has a volume slider set into the monitors OSD ?

Colours are off coming from my calibrated IPS (though other & myself knew this), this I'll get used too & when I'm playing FPS I'm not looking at the scenery when I'm locked on to someone's face. It's something I'll get use too easily & soon forget about, as other have said it's a trade off.
Brightness from the panel is nice too, I did find with my old screen the backlight did cause me fatigue for longish session. The Dell's panel didn't feel like it was trying to shine through the back of my head.
I do get some pixel inversion on green backgrounds on web pages or test patterns if a small window box is open, I've heard this can be toned down with calibration ?

One thing & I'm sure it just me but did anyone Get underwhelmed with the weight of the monitor ? The Dell's I've had in the past have been tanks, this feels like a cheap £100 one from budget manufacturers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom