Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
What you going for now ?

Well, I bought the Dell to avoid the panel lottery but I'd almost be inclined to by a few G Sync 27"s - Acer, AOC, Asus, Viewsonic, LG

Trial a couple, bin the bad backlighters and deal pixels and rotate them until I get one I'm fully happy with and is an obvious improvement over the Hazro.

Gaming the Dell was fine and I got it looking nice. I couldn't get happy with it using Lightroom which tipped the scales into making the decision to move the Dell on.

Man of Honour
I couldn't get happy with it using Lightroom which tipped the scales into making the decision to move the Dell on.

Yeah not going to get something that works for any serious image editing with this monitor (I do a bit of on the fly adjustment of photos, etc. on this Dell but that is it) - none the least to get it "looking" superficially like an IPS panel you have to take some compromise in black crush but then any high refresh, low (actual) latency, gaming monitor you are going to have to make atleast as much compromise and often worse.

Hence why I have a Dell IPS sitting beside this one on my desk for when I do anything where I care too much about accuracy.

Soldato
Have to be honest, now I've changed back to my old Hazro although the colours are better for me outside of gaming. Now being in-game the tearing is jarring. :)

Funny how quickly you get used to G-Sync.

As a gaming only monitor, I'd probably keep it as it's really nice to game on compared to the Hazro. I'm contemplating getting a different desk so I can have both screens. One for pics and one for gaming. :)

I'm not even sure whether (once the Dell sells which looks like I'm taking an almighty bath on :( ) if I buy one of the current IPS panels of the £600 ish variety I'm going to disappointed with that too.

Associate
OK so I finally took the plunge and bought one of these. I've not had a new monitor for far too many years and there's one thing that I'm unsure on. Do I need to install monitor drivers or not? I've set up the monitor using the Nvidia Control Panel to how I want it, I've tweaked the colour and brightness/contrast settings. What do the monitor drivers actually do?

Associate
Windows 10 will download the necessary drivers if any are needed, (I don't believe it requires any on win10, 8 & 7 as they are ether baked in or downloaded on install), always worth getting the updated Nvidia drivers just to be sure but any before the turn of the year I would have thought would be fine.

Check in Windows display settings to see if you're on G-sync. There you'll be able to set 144hz, G-sync or ULBN.

Most computer hardware nowerdays is auto installation/plug & play (showing my age here as the early days you had a to self install everything), sit back and enjoy !

A tip from me with regards to colour settings etc, would be use others settings as a bench & then adjust to taste. Each panel is different (not massively) & so is everyone's taste in brightness, gamma, colour & contrast.

OK so I finally took the plunge and bought one of these. I've not had a new monitor for far too many years and there's one thing that I'm unsure on. Do I need to install monitor drivers or not? I've set up the monitor using the Nvidia Control Panel to how I want it, I've tweaked the colour and brightness/contrast settings. What do the monitor drivers actually do?

Associate
In device manager it was down as a generic pnp monitor. I clicked update driver and it found the right ones straight away and installed them. Doubt it'll make much difference as I had it set to 144hz and gsync on already, but hey ho at least the correct ones are installed anyway. I used some popular settings and just lowered the vibrance a bit, not keen on excessive vibrance tbh. Thanks for the advice

Associate
got this monitor today and set it up from reading this thread and its great and i made sure they sent me rev A04 from where i ordered it from
my 980ti is running bf1 at max res and 144hz fine just it gets hot up to 82c
cant wait for destiny 2 on pc now :)

Last edited:
Associate
I finally took the plunge today on one of these after looking for ages. Get it tomorrow so looking forward to an improvement from my age old 24 Asus. Will be upgrading my pc later this year hopefully so this will hopefully be a worth while upgrade. Looking forward to gsync.

Associate
Well mine arrived today, a04 revion too. Looks miles better than my old 24 inch, and that's before I touch any settings!

Gsync works as well as I had hoped, and the step up from 1080 is very nice. Thumbs up so far.

Man of Honour
Wonder if they've improved the out the box contrast/gamma and colour compared to older ones at all - the a03 had quite a "bleached" look to the colours out the box before tweaking.

Associate
I still think it looks a bit bleached as you say, I can see where you are coming from there. But my old monitor looked pap :)

Associate
does anyone know why when the monitor goes in sleep mode from windows not the deep sleep crap in the menu when i use the mouse it flashes just once after the screen has come on

Man of Honour
Might be restoring the gamma or ICC profile maybe or depending on settings could be the GPU coming back to full clocks or desktop compositing changing back to hardware acceleration.

Soldato
Set mine up today using some of the settings from here. However, the gamma in the nvidia control panel keeps resetting back to default. How do I make it stay on without having to change it after playing games?

Back
Top Bottom